Sign in to follow this  
big ben

i need MORE power!!!

hey guys... i have been talking a bit about this on other threads but thought i should start my first one... i own a vr6, in very good working order as far as i know.. i want to spend a bit of money under the bonnet in a few months.. i have been thinking about the options avaliable to me..., i only just know how an engine works though and can barely do a service so i wont be doing any work myself. Any helpful advice/thoughts is always appreciated!!!

I want my car to sound nice, i mean REAL nice!! also looking 280bhp minimum!!budget is £4000 to £5000!!

option 1/ Supercharge the VR engine?? what would need to be up rated/checked if i did do it?? with my budget is it worth being a bit more crazy??

option 2/ Stick a r32 engine in?? how much is this going to set me back?? power?? 4 wheel drive?? does a supercharger fit?? is it going to be more reliable as its newer?? only heard today that its a worth while conversion so havent looked into it at all...

option 3/ turbo it?? dont know nothing about vr turbos either?? apparently less reliable than supercharger, or is this a myth??

i am buying another car so it wont be a daily, but dont want it breaking down every 3000 miles or something stupid...thanks guys in advance!!!! also if you have any suggestions where to get it done that would be great, i hear stealth racing is good, any feedback?? sorry for going on haha!!

if you want to put an r32 into your car then this IS what you want viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62901 contact pete as he's selling all the engine as a complete job lot, and is worth every penny of the asking price 3k.

if you want an easy 280bhp then a supercharger is the way to go, low maintenance apart from making sure the belt is tight to avoid belt slip,

or go for a rotrex charger, more expensive to buy but with greater potential than the vortech chargers.

Quickish reply: :lol:

for 5 grand you can do all 3 of those...

First you need to assess the current state of your engine. Has it had the chains etc. done? How many miles? Do you think it needs rebuilding? If you want to keep the original 12v then these are all important questions...you shouldn't whang on another 100 hp or so without making sure its in good nick and that nothing will explode first. Poor preparation = poor and costly results.

from experience i only know about superchargers,and the rest is what i've picked up from here, but i'm sure more peeps will be along soon to fill in details.

1) Superchargers - you have the choice of Rotrex or Vortech, most people would recommend a Rotrex as they have better low down response, the Vortech doesn't kick in till 3.5/4k revs. I have a Vortech :) This will set you back around 2k ish new just for the charger. then you need injectors, remapping etc...or you can buy 2nd hand as i did and get it all for about the same. check out the forced induction thread in the engine section for a lot of info.

2) check out the definitive 24v thread in the engine section. R32 is quite a new thing to transplant and takes a while, but worth it. other options are available. 4 wheel drive will involve removing bits of floorplan and will cost a lot if you don't do it yourself. not sure about s/chargers but i saw a twin turbo r32 in germany pushing out 750 odd bhp. :shock:

3) still a bit of an unknown quantity, but several on here have got them, and its been done lots in the usa. its more work as you will need custom pipework and some form of chargecooler. but it holds more potential for upping the bhp in the future. it is a myth about it being less reliable, pianowire has done 28k miles on his i think.

1 will get you bang on your magic figure, as will 3, probably more. 2 depends on what engine you go for.

stealth - most on here think they can do no wrong. some (myself included) have had poor service, but they are generally acknowledged to be amongst the best, and my charger has a damn good map on it, 292 bhp!

drop me a pm if you want the ins and outs of my install, i can run you through what i got and how much it cost.

i would love to do/buy it now but havent got the funds unfortunately!! i have been swaying towards a supercharger for the last few months to be honest, just seeing what people have to say, maybe change my mind...

if having over 300bhp, am i right in saying i would need 4 wheel drive just to get the power down??

when i had my vortech v1 charger it was running 296bhp and 265lb at 8psi, and it was no problem getting the power down at all, but thats just due to the linear way the charger puts its power out.

plus my v1 sounded great :(

theres a couple of people on here with around 400bhp, and they are still 2wd, but either a quaiffe or a peloquin lsd is essential with that type of power though.

when i had my vortech v1 charger it was running 296bhp and 265lb at 8psi, and it was no problem getting the power down at all, but thats just due to the linear way the charger puts its power out.

charger does sound the way to go to me... what work did you have done to the engine aswell if any?? any suggestions where i should get it done?? i dont mind spending a fortune really as you normally get what you pay for...

also, ive heard a lot about second hand chargers... does anyone know where people sell these?? or should i just buy a new one??

Last week, I went to see Vince at Stealth to discuss putting an R32 in mine. Most helpful, he knows his way around Corrados and will advise you upon options.

charger does sound the way to go to me... what work did you have done to the engine aswell if any?? any suggestions where i should get it done?? i dont mind spending a fortune really as you normally get what you pay for...

also, ive heard a lot about second hand chargers... does anyone know where people sell these?? or should i just buy a new one??

i got mine from on here, but you should also look on ed38 and vr6oc.

here's an example of one on ed atm...you're getting quite a bit for the cash, unfotunately for you, its for an obd2 VR, and all corrados are obd1 unless converted.

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224950

If you were looking for a second opinion try The Phirm in Surrey (not sure where you live)......loads of people on here use them and I wouldnt take mine anywhere else now.

Considering charging mine next year and my starting point is defo going to be The Phirm.

Good luck !!

Last week, I went to see Vince at Stealth to discuss putting an R32 in mine. Most helpful, he knows his way around Corrados and will advise you upon options.

oh really?? tell me more!! i really need to know about this conversion, what did he have to say??

my car is in the bodyshop having loads of work done at the min and im on holiday next week, but when i get back im going to drive up there.... i live in bedforshire so its closer than surrey, i have heard lots of good things about Vince so would want to meet him myself...

thanks the_dude, what do you mean about the converting?? sorry but i have no idea??

swiftkid, i havent the money for 3-5 months so im tied at the min, too much other stuff going on with my car (see link below)

danny b, thanks also, i will definately check the phirm out, i have heard a lot about them also!! to be honest i havent heard of anyone else apart from stealth and them...

thanks the_dude, what do you mean about the converting?? sorry but i have no idea??

swiftkid, i havent the money for 3-5 months so im tied at the min, too much other stuff going on with my car (see link below)

danny b, thanks also, i will definately check the phirm out, i have heard a lot about them also!! to be honest i havent heard of anyone else apart from stealth and them...

obd2 is the newer version of a VR that they shoved in golfs...its basically a different ecu, wiring, inlet manifold and throttle body...essentially uprated management to make the engine run better. a chap on here called bigpantsbaby is usually breaking a few golfs and has all the bits and bobs you would need (two boxes worth!)

you can check out my for sale thread if you're interested in my engine. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=79804&start=0

i would say as a very conservative estimate that my car is easily making 280bhp. to be honest i recon it's closer to 300 with the remap, but i haven't had it on a dyno yet to confirm this.

ask CrazyDave or r4-ge who have been out in it - it's chuffing quick!

and if you buy mine the whole thing can literally be done in a weekend - no messing around!

hope you get something sorted anyway.

obd2 is the newer version of a VR that they shoved in golfs...its basically a different ecu, wiring, inlet manifold and throttle body...essentially uprated management to make the engine run better. a chap on here called bigpantsbaby is usually breaking a few golfs and has all the bits and bobs you would need (two boxes worth!)[/quote:1kqrmtd9]

wow, thats some good info mate thanks!!! things like that i need to know ;)

personally i rate the phirm 10/10

and i rate stealth 2/10 on a good day.

oh really?? any reasons for that?? might be going down to surrey then haha

you can check out my for sale thread if you're interested in my engine. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=79804&start=0

i would say as a very conservative estimate that my car is easily making 280bhp. to be honest i recon it's closer to 300 with the remap, but i haven't had it on a dyno yet to confirm this.

ask CrazyDave or r4-ge who have been out in it - it's chuffing quick!

and if you buy mine the whole thing can literally be done in a weekend - no messing around!

hope you get something sorted anyway.

if i had the money i think i would take the plunge and go for it, and sell the VR engine.. i just cant get that money together... someone smashed into my car and its a mess, im going to be out of pocket thousands re-doing it all... the link below shows some pics on the database...

if only some f**king idiot didnt smash into me at 50mph i would be on it!!!! i need another car to, coz im not using my rado as much, cant be dealing with this again...

I have heard lots of good things about Vince so would want to meet him myself...

I would do exactly that and form your own opinions, rather than believing the utter b0llocks that's written on here about him.

I have heard lots of good things about Vince so would want to meet him myself...

I would do exactly that and form your own opinions, rather than believing the utter b0llocks that's written on here about him.

ok, advice taken!!!! was planning to go see him and see what stealth was all about anyway, but when people start slating, you think they must have good reason to?? i know you should always take these things with a pinch of salt should i say...

The reason i joined this forum was to get some needed inside knowledge, so i am seeking some help, i suppose, from guys who have had the conversions/upgrades and used these people i have read and heard about...

good news travels fast, bad news travels faster as you will find out.

I've heard good and bad things but you won't find out until you learn yourself

I wonder if Vince knows the controversy that surounds him on here......I've never meet the guy but he already holds mythical powers in my mind :lol:

i have heard lots about him, nearly all good so im sure he doesnt care what the minority think, you can never please everyone!!

Well i will definately go see this magical mythical vince guy, if your reading this vincey boy, see you soon haha!!