Kevin Bacon

How to make 1 key open all 4 locks - cheap!

How many of you have 2 or more keys for the locks? Annoying isn't it.

When I converted to a fixed steering column, I had to change the lock housing, which comes with a new ignition barrel and key. Therefore I had to carry 2 keys around in case of alarm / central locking failure. Not a major nuiscance but it's nice to have just 1 key opening all the locks.

The most secure, expensive and difficult way to do this is to replace all 4 locks. The main benefit is the newer barrels have a lot more tumblers than the original ones in your car, making it more secure, and new locks feel slick and tight.

The downsides are cost (around £150) and the fact you have to drill out the old ignition barrel, which leaves a permanent hole, making lock barrel removal easy for a thief 'in the know'.

The cheapest way is to remove the door and boot barrels and re-tumbler them to match the ignition key. New tumblers also give the locks a better feel and improve security as old tumblers wear down easily, being made of a soft metal.

Another way is to file down the existing tumblers but I don't feel that is the best way.

Anyway, here's a guide on retumbling your barrels. I won't get too into detail on removing the door handles as I think we all know what's involved there, but the boot barrel is tricky. You have to push the lock in and drive out a split pin to seperate the barrel from the lock housing. You'll see what I mean.

New tumblers.

Dealers keep a pile of them under the desk, so pop in and ask for some, they're pennies. Sometimes free if your dealer is friendly :D

tumblers.jpg

There are only 4 variants of tumbler, so they're not the most secure locks in the world anyway. But get a bunch of each type and some tumbler springs.

tumbler_numbers.jpg

Barrel removal

The door locks can be done in situ if the wire slack is long enough, if not, the door cards will have to come off to unclip the wire.

Pop the correct key in the barrel....

handle1.jpg

...and then remove this circlip and take off the sprung loaded mechanism, noting how it's assembled.

handle.jpg

Withdraw the barrel from the handle.

handle2.jpg

Barrel retumbling

With the right key, you'll notice all the tumblers are flush with the barrel.

correct.jpg

And with the desired key in the barrel, the tumblers poke out and the door won't open.

new_key.jpg

I think by now you can guess what needs doing :D

Without a key, the tumblers are loose and can drop out easily, so be careful.

no_key.jpg

The tiny springs inside can also drop out easily, hence getting some spares with your new tumblers.

springs.jpg

So the object of the game is to replace the tumblers with a different one, one at a time until the new key does this....

correct_with_new_key.jpg

It's not as bad as it sounds. After you've done the first one, note down the tumbler sequence and then you'll breeze through the rest!

So there it is, a cheap and easy way to make 1 key open all the locks, and freshen them up with a new feel at the same time.

Goes without saying, but grease up all the locks and handles liberally as they're prone the breakage :wink:

Good work matey! If only you did a guide on everything you've done..... we'd be able to close the forum down :lol:

Sorry for going off topic but what wheels are you running? look superb and those brakes :notworthy:

You need a proper thread for your car!

terry

Cheers chaps. Got a bit more time on my hands these days (not on call as often!) so can get back to my old 'guide a week' style :D

I can't believe I waited 3 years to do this and it only took a couple of hours to do all 3!

Pat McCrotch was the inspiration behind it, although he filed his existing ones down, the cheap skate cheater :lol:

Yeah I'm lucky with the double garage and it yeah, it has loads of windows and about 5 flourescent tubes!

Bought the house when prices were uber low :wink:

Blimey, keen eyes noticing the out of focus wheels and brakes! 8x17 Rota Force and AP Racing 4 pots. Kind of needed with 400hp :lol: I did used to have a build thread but it kind of dissapeared. Will start a new one some day!

3 hours :shock: i did mine ages ago and it took me about 3 days, you obviously have more patience/skill that i do.

Even easier if you give the dealer parts dept your key code - they can then work out the tumbler arrangement from the key catalogue...

I think I've got 4 or 5 brand new barrels each with 2 keys from buying new door handles over the years - never understood why they came with them as they are so easy to swap over for the old ones.

Ignition barrel needs drilling out but the door handles are easy, what are the boot and glove box like to do Kev?

Pat McCrotch was the inspiration behind it, although he filed his existing ones down, the cheap skate cheater :lol:

I'd filed down two already then I heard "I've got a bag of spare tumblers in my toolbox here..." :lol:

I remember filing those things down on my old mk1, if your original keys get worn the tabs can stick up and prevent the barrel turning sometimes, cheapo fix, file them flat with the key in. I'm sure there's a few worn corrado keys about these days.

I remember having to file a few down before - but as Kev says - I managed to get spare tumblers from the parts guys I was friendly with.

Kev is that your garage? :salute:

New tumblers.

Dealers keep a pile of them under the desk, so pop in and ask for some, they're pennies. Sometimes free if your dealer is friendly :D

I just phoned a vw dealer near me... they are asking for £43.48 for a set! (8 tumblers and springs!!!) :pale:

I wish I was as friendly wish my local dealer as you are with yours!!! :camp:

Any ideas on where i could get some other than my :hitler: dealership?

My local dealer retumbled my 2 for £10, which i thought was ok. Left them to me to fit them though :lol:

Whoo-hoo easy to do.. when I have a few hours free to get mine done...

Kev I hope you also replaced the mechs with Dave's patented Stainless ones too? Just to save another removal of handles in a while... :norty:

Plus they're probably much easier to replace with the barrel out... Must get on to do my Driver's side before that snaps too.. and maybe retumble the lock whilst I'm there!

I just phoned a vw dealer near me... they are asking for £43.48 for a set! (8 tumblers and springs!!!) :pale:

What??! That's insane! Apparently for £50 you can get a box full of them (100s), so £50 for 8 sounds very wrong to me and also sounds like your dealer is an arse!

Any ideas on where i could get some other than my :hitler: dealership?

Well my locks are done now, so I can send you the tumblers I didn't use if it helps? A mixture of old and new. I noticed with mine it was mainly a case of rijigging them around to fit the new key, plus 1 or 2 new ones.

Kev I hope you also replaced the mechs with Dave's patented Stainless ones too? Just to save another removal of handles in a while...

Nah I just replaced the whole handles a few years ago.....when they weren't the £90 odd each that they are now!!

Well my locks are done now, so I can send you the tumblers I didn't use if it helps? A mixture of old and new. I noticed with mine it was mainly a case of rijigging them around to fit the new key, plus 1 or 2 new ones.

My good man! :notworthy:

That would be amazing! Do you have some tumbler springs to go with that? id obviously give you postage and packaging and a few pennies extra for the trouble. Im in kinda a rush as id like to do them at the same time as replacing the door Pins (usual story there! :wink: )

give me a PM with the Low down my honky friend and we shall do business :grin:

P.S.

I've been in touch with Volks-Apart (great company by the way) and they say that most good locksmiths can change the tumblers for you for a few quid... AND even find you parts if like me your having trouble. Saves giving my :hitler: Dealership money! I may move just to escape them!!!!

any chance whoever is doing the wiki gude can add this to it or it will probably get lost into the abyss of time. very useful guide, will be on dog and bone in the morning unless Pat McCrotch fancies posting some freebies out if he can :wink:

Absolutely, Marlboro lights and beer..... essential items when working on Corrados. And it's Carlsberg Export actually... 2 boxes of 18 bottles for £10 from Morrisons :D

PM me your address and I'll shove em in the post for you, and yep, springs included!

Only just spotted this thread, nice work indeed!

This is what I had done to mine when in Germany last year on my trip. My alarm died on me and I had a different key for my ignition barrel and didn't have the spare with me so couldn't lock my doors!!!! Had to lock the passenger one in the car and then my mate would park right up against my drivers door all the time :lol: Finally found a VW garage who took the handles off me and changed these tumblers for me in minutes! :notworthy:

Oh and yeah Kev's garage is awesome! It's got tons of space and every tool/spare you could need :lol:

Just got quoted £45 for a bag of them :(

anyone fancy a group buy? i got 2 handles to do...