Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

G60 running cooler on V-Power?

On my way back from the National Day on Saturday I stopped at the nearest services that happened to be Shell. I've never used V-Power before but filled her up and I've found the oil temp is 10 degrees lower now than on the BP 97ron stuff that I normally use. Is this just a coincidence? I haven't touched anything else in the engine. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining!!!! It's running even better than normal! :D :D :D :D :D

yup, that's not surprising... the G60 ECU expects higher octane fuel than standard unleaded, so it's always running a little "lean" (for want of a better term!) when running on normal unleaded... Sticking a higher RON fuel in makes the engine pink less meaning the ECU doesn't have to retard the ignition as much, meaning more power and a better, more efficient burn resulting in a cooler running engine... (phew, that sentence was a bit long! :grin: )

I always used to run mine on Optimax (shows how long it is since it ran... :roll: :oops: ) as it wasn't anywhere near as good, or gave anywhere near as many MPG when running on straight unleaded...

That will explain the extra 40 or so miles I got from a tank last time i filled her up then :clap:

I was always too tight to put the rich stufff in but have been told by many its much better for the g60 engine.

Try Tescos premium unleaded...99 ron!!!! feckin awsome!

Know quite a few peeps on the bmw forum and porsche forum that run it too 8)

Sweet. 8) I've never run my current G60 on 95 because I did that with my old one once and it ran like a bag of nails. V-Power and Tesco 99 from now on then. :D Good thing it's just a weekend car!!! :lol:

Sweet. 8) I've never run my current G60 on 95 because I did that with my old one once and it ran like a bag of nails. V-Power and Tesco 99 from now on then. :D Good thing it's just a weekend car!!! :lol:

TBH i am going to run mine on the posh stuff from now on. even though she is a daily the extra miles i get make up for the cost.

Dont get tesco 99 down ere

Really impressed with the Tesco 99RON stuff. Put some in my valver the other day and just could not believe the performance improvement and improvement in economy. I had a great drive back from the AGM and was puzzled as to why the car was feeling so lively yet returning such great MPG figures and then I realised I'd only filled up with 99RON earlier that morning (for the first time ever).

I think I'm converted to it! Much better than Ultimate and Optimax in my car at least!

Just got back from filling up with V-Power again. :cheers: I've always noticed a difference between different fuels but never one so marked as this. It's a beautiful day today and really warm and even in traffic it's running cooler than it did on Ultimate over the winter!

BP Ultimate sucks balls, you might as well fill up with lighter fluid. I've used a few times when I've had no other choice and can't believe how down on power the car felt. Only Optimax or Tesco 99 for me! But then I do kind of need it in my motor! :tongue:

BP Ultimate sucks balls, you might as well fill up with lighter fluid. I've used a few times when I've had no other choice and can't believe how down on power the car felt. Only Optimax or Tesco 99 for me! But then I do kind of need it in my motor! :tongue:

Mine has a supercharger too. :p

its missing a couple of cylinders though dude!

anyone own a vr using "expensive" fuel haha

sounds like i might have to give it a go if my car ever makes it on to a road...

its missing a couple of cylinders though dude![/quote:3ht9rj8d]

Hush ya mouth! :lol: It ain't missin nuffin. My supercharger came free with my car. :grin: You had to fork out on yours.

Any car is gonna benefit from higher quality fuel big ben. I recommend V-Power. :D

V-Power and Tesco Premium are both 99RON and the only thing that goes in my car.

You definitely shouldn't be putting normal 95RON stuff in it ever as Henny says because it can cause some nasty pinking etc as the ecu is setup to run timing based on the more efficient burn of the quality stuff. Plus VW themselves tell you to put 98RON or above in it themselves, just read the inside of your petrol filler flap.... :wink:

ah ok, i always thought it was a load of bollocks to be fair, looks like only the best oil and petrol is going in the rado from now on then :salute:

Been doing some reading up :dorky: and apparently V-Power is 107 RON in some coutries! :luvlove:

noooo, that can't be right! race fuel is only 102 iirc...its probably like the american system where they use a different rating.

Been doing some reading up :dorky: and apparently V-Power is 107 RON in some coutries! :luvlove:

noooo, that can't be right! race fuel is only 102 iirc...its probably like the american system where they use a different rating.

It's on Wiki so it must be true. Hong Kong apparently....

when optimax first came out, it was advertised how clean it burned, and showed you the cylinder head after a zillion miles, hardly a carbon deposit in site !

my head gasket blew at 80,000 miles so i gave it the mother of all decokes, had it skimmed,valves reground in, and then back together ! Ran it on nothing, and i mean NOTHING but Optimax

at 100,000 miles i was unlucky to have another headgasket blow!

Head off, and yes it looked like Mr.Carbon had made it his buisness to coat EVERYTHING !!

I wont buy Shell petrol ever again :censored:

its been Mr.Sainsburys for me the last 36,000 miles, and no more head gasket failure !

Coincedence ? or conspiracy , anyway i blame the french

It's on Wiki so it must be true. Hong Kong apparently....

oh well it must be true if its on wikipedia. :wink:

when I've run my car on tesco 99 I've always felt it feels worst than regular 95 :shrug: It does feel loads better on other 99ron fuels

Out of curiosity I dropped some of that NOS racing fuel additive in mine for a recent 'Ring trip, upped it too around 104ron! I know it's not set up to run it but the difference was night and day.

Awesome economy too, managed to drive from west london to the Nurburgring and put some laps in on one tank of fuel! Expensive at £20 a bottle though

Whilst I was out there I noticed the Germans have 'Shell V-Power Racing' too which is 100ron, good old UK getting the bum deal as usual :(

when I've run my car on tesco 99 I've always felt it feels worst than regular 95 :shrug: It does feel loads better on other 99ron fuels

That's weird. I will admit I tend to stay away from supermarket petrol because of the dodgy batches they've had in the past.

Whilst I was out there I noticed the Germans have 'Shell V-Power Racing' too which is 100ron, good old UK getting the bum deal as usual :(

Could be worse mate. V-Power is 95RON in Ireland... according to wikipedia.... :lol: