tribetype40

DOUGS 24V STORM-R - rear cage possibly?

Thanks for the comments fellas. It is all slowly coming together now!

Here the pics of making the new binnicle, modeling foam was attache to the leading edge and then a small jig made up to form a constant shape to the front edge. I then added card to the dial cluster and stretched a pair of tights over the binnicle and pushed the dials in. Resin was then painted over the tights and left to cure a thin skin, it holds its shape now ready for a few layers of glass fiber. This would ensure a perfect fit later.

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

Only a quick post this but will hopefully get more info and video up tomorrow... but,

I manually connected up my control board to the Cam advance solenoid and tested it on the running engine and it works! :clap: I still have to connect it to a couple of other boards with will switch it on under the correct conditions but this is just a case of connecting them up as I already have them built. I then have to find a box suitable to house the boards in so a trip to maplins tomorow is in order.

Here we go....

Just did a short video of testing the cam control board I made. its switched manually at the moment so only switched while are idle. When actaully being used in the car the cam advance isn't activated at idle as the result of advancing the cam make for a pretty rough idle as you can hear in the video. Later in the video I rev the engine with the cam advanced, you can hear that the running smooths out.

I also had the timing light on, its clear to witness but doesn't comeout verywell in the video but you can see the cam advance.

[youtube:3g1ozb4d] [/youtube:3g1ozb4d]

That's excellent work Doug, wish I had your electrical brains :(

The most interesting thread on here at the moment. :D

Thanks Kip,

Believe me I'm no Electrical wizz!! was never a strong point at school. This is just a case of finding out whats needed and finding something that can produce the sinals etc... its taken the longest time to find/workout but its finally looking like I'm nearly there.....

Brill work can't wait to see the finished project. I think what you do is wonderful and I only wish I had a small amount of your technical ability.

You defo deserve a :notworthy:

will keep looking up this thread

Inspirational stuff, Doug. Keep up the outstanding work. As Kip says, this is one of the most interesting cars to read about at the moment.

cheers, guys. it really good to get feedback from people who understand what i'm trying to do, I was laughing with Jay that when we do something and try to explain it to our fairer halves we kinda get a puzzeled smile and a 'thats nice dear' !! lol or the question, 'why dont you just by a new car!?

cheers, guys. it really good to get feedback from people who understand what i'm trying to do, I was laughing with Jay that when we do something and try to explain it to our fairer halves we kinda get a puzzeled smile and a 'thats nice dear' !! lol or the question, 'why dont you just by a new car!?

Know the feeling of being asked why don't I get a new car.... Just no understanding at all..

Didn't do much tonight but I have finally started to assemble part of the car for the final time (I hope!) heres a few pics of the dash. A few closeups of putting the flipseal on the front again, then the interior of the car showing the modified heater ducts, then with the dash fianlly fitted.

DSC_2868.jpg

DSC_2872.jpg

DSC_2873.jpg

DSC_2874.jpg

DSC_2875.jpg

Oh yeah, these also show the carpets I made a little while ago, its BMW mini carpet in charcoal. Bought it on the roll, most of it is made from flat parts but there were a few bit I needed to pattern up and shape. Where I had to have a break, the edges were bound with webbing and the stitching hidden.

Need to hire a carpet doctor to bring them up again as I've been getting in and out of it for the past year making and fitting the interior!

best is yet to come.... ;-)

Now what does that mean????

I am now really eager to see the next bits.

Still want you to do a dash for me ;-)

I even have a "spare" dash.

Mmm, have a spare interior at the moment come to think of it... Must do something with that..

Awesome work!

lol, the best bit is not 100% yet so I will hold back untill I'm happy but I'm hoping it should be quite different!

Vick, cheers. I have to say though, I saw your car at Edition and that sure is one lucky vin number. I dont know of anyother car thats had soo much care and effort put into it over its life! and always tastfully done!

Great work Doug, breath taking... :D

Thats the word - breathtaking. Nothing else to describe it. How did you do the whipping on the carpet edges Doug?

Heres a little bit more of the interior.....

The seats are Recaro speedline seats with electric height adjust and twin lumber supports. They were the first part of the interior I re-trimmed and the paneling was inspired by the new scirroco. I also added extra panels to the bolsters which have helped to visually narrow the seat and I think make them a little more modern in style.

The door cards were a lot of work. I changed the the paneling to tie in with the seats and also changed it so that the panels ran horizontally, the panels around the arm rest were also changed so that the padded section didn't run over it. I've never liked the way the leather rucks up on the origonal leather door cards. Also all the edges of the plastic parts as well as the leather that will touch the paint have had anti squeek tape ran around the edges. This should help loose any squeeks or rattle when its finally assembed..... finally!

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

Fla, will try and get a few pics of the edging on the carpet later....

I have now coined the phrase 'CCU' for my 'Cam Control Unit' ! lol

I got to maplins today and sat in there with all my circuit boards then emptied the shelves to find a box that they would all fit into. turned out to be quite a big box but I did a good bit of work consoldating some of the parts of the boards into smaller parts etc, as such I have less wires to connect up now.

If all this turns out to work ok and I pursue building a plug and play kit I reckon the circuits and components could be reduced be a much much smaller unit, it you can get double sided surface mount boards made at a sensible price this thing could be tiny. As for wiring it up, it only needs 5 wires connecting!

Heres a few pics...

DSC_2879-pix_1.jpg

DSC_2878.jpg

The two leds will be tell tale lights to show me whats working and when - there would be no need for these in the finished module.

not much to report today, I got the 'CCU' in the car and wired it up. Here a picture of when I had it all in bits to set it up. This first test fit has shown that I could do with changing a few components to improve a couple bits but thats 'development' i guess.

I did a static test i.e. with just the multimeter connected to the output wires and to all toggle on at the correct time so the next thing to do is get the varable inlet wired in and then its time for a test drive!! I know I've said it before but this time I really think I could be booking it in for a rolling road tune this week and I'll finally see if it produces a drive similar to the mk4. Actually that had made me think, does anyone have any graphs of a standard 2.8 AUE engine MK4 golf for a comparison..?

DSC_2969.jpg

seats, dash, carpet, doorcards, "CCU" - all looking minty mint and in the best of taste.

definitely one of the most interesting threads on here Doug - top work chap :clap:

Absolutely. I cant claim to even understand all that electronics language and how you execute the monitoring etc. I'm just content to admire. Very impressive stuff indeed.