jazzdevil

The all-purpose F1 thread...

Since debate crops up every so often anyway, I figure there may as well be one place for ruminating on the merits of such announcements as...

54348_2.jpg

Mercedes-Benz buying a 75% stake in Brawn GP today, re-branding the team as Mercedes and effectively ousting Button to McLaren by announcing Rosberg and Heidfeld as an all-german squad! :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8362295.stm

I think Button would be better with McLaren - he took a huge pay cut last year and hung on in with Brawn / Honda when most would have left - not being able to get a decent offer out of them for 2010 was crazy.

I cannot remember McLaren having an uncompetitive car for two consecutive years in the recent past so must surely be odds on to produce a good strongly competitive car for next season - will also be good to see how he compares to Hamilton

I think Button would be better with McLaren - he took a huge pay cut last year and hung on in with Brawn / Honda when most would have left - not being able to get a decent offer out of them for 2010 was crazy.

I cannot remember McLaren having an uncompetitive car for two consecutive years in the recent past so must surely be odds on to produce a good strongly competitive car for next season - will also be good to see how he compares to Hamilton

Indeed, although you could argue that the McLaren was only uncompetitive for half a season..

Lewis will walk all over Button for the majority of next season if they are team mates IMO !!!

Under perfect conditions, with the perfect car and on his day Button is quick, but it isnt his day everyday and the conditions are very rarely perfect.....I know he won the title but I think it had a lot to do with no other 'experienced' driver taking the season by the scruff of its neck and making it his.

dont get me wrong though I still would like to see Button win but my head says he's nowhere near Lewis.

All German and All English Line ups.......we just need Fisichella back with Badoer at Ferrari and hey presto :lol:

......good idea with this thread by the way :salute:

It'll be interesting to see where this leads in the next couple of days... McLaren's recent press suggests that they still don't seem to think they need Button and Raikkonen's looking dangerously close to being out in the cold too - surely bolstering his likelihood of spending 2010 in WRC.

How long has it been since a driver hasn't been around to defend their championship crown? Prost retired in '94, by choice, so I this starts to have the eerie ring of Hill's post-championship fall from grace - winning for Williams in '97, getting dropped and landing at Arrows for a year and then two seasons with Jordan before his exit. :confused4:

I think it shows that even though button won the title he still isnt as highly regarded as a lot of other drivers........in the same way as Hill wasnt really considered to be one of the best really !!

mclaren + jenson and hamilton will be awesome to see as a team :luvlove:

i agree... an all singin all dancing british team will be quite cool... if you ask me, this is buttons big break to truly prove himself as being more than a one season wonder...

Do Mercedes think Rosberg and Heidfeld are champion material? :cuckoo:

Be interesting to see what happens with Mclaren, are Mercedes still going to let them have an engine? :scratch:

My problem with Button is that it always seems to come down to money. He's been one of the top paid drivers for years, turned down offers from more competitive teams due to Honda upping his millions. Waz haggling with Brawn over next years millions. :camp:

Do Mercedes think Rosberg and Heidfeld are champion material? :cuckoo:

In the right car, yes Rosberg is champion material - His performances for Williams this year have been excellent on the whole.

Also, if is going to be a German "superteam", don't forget Timo Glock who is also young and a good prospect for the future.

Roll on 2010!!

Ian.

Will Rosberg ever be consistent enough?

He ain't no Vettel. :notworthy:

uhhmmm not sure I agree, Vettel is indeed a talent but Rosberg has shown consistency this year.....Nico is defo one to watch, I think he will be up there in the coming years.

Jay2- thats one thing thats ALWAYS put me off Button, it always seems that the money is more important to him then the racing. Im under the impression he only stayed at Honda so long because as you say he was one of the highest paid drivers.

Joe- The Massa/Alonso line up at Ferrari will be hard to beat imo, that is if Ferrari put together a good car. Would be really good to see them go against Hamilton/Button or Hamilton/Raikkonen.

I also think Rosberg and Heidfeld could do well at Brawn. I wonder if anyone has their eye on Kobuyashi (spell)?

McLaren really is Hamilton's team though - Throwing Button in there to play second fiddle? I'm not sure that's going to work! Sounds like a recepie to upset the balance of things to me.

Will be interesting to see what happens though!

Merc are still going to be providing engines to McLaren 'til 2015 I believe...

Button's only real saving grace in going up against Hamilton in "equal" equipment is that with next year's no refueling rules, things are potentially biased towards drivers who can look after their tyres well. Button is smooth, precise and kind to tyres; Hamilton is the opposite.

Ha! Agreed - it's because Hamilton is constantly on the limit!

I often thought it was ridiculous that the team made his strategy such that he couldn't come in for fresh tyres enough through this season.

Being reported in the Press that Button has agreed the terms to a three year deal with McLaren - that will take him nicely up to the point where he retires

Also, if is going to be a German "superteam", don't forget Timo Glock who is also young and a good prospect for the future.

Glock is being cited as having signed for Manor Motorsport for 2010 - this being the team that will allegedly carry the Branson/Virgin sponsorship next year

Mr Jazz, did you ever get that trophy?

Not seen anything chap - how long ago did you send it?

Mr Jazz, did you ever get that trophy?

Not seen anything chap - how long ago did you send it?

I ordered it on the 5th but haven't heard anything since, I'll chase it up.

edit - they are having trouble with their small internet orders, but the guy is looking into it for me and i should know more by tomorrow.