Sign in to follow this  
JonnyVW

Awful MPG from my Corrado VR6

Hey guys,

I've just bought a corrado VR6 1993. Around town I'm averaging 15mpg and 23mpg on the motorway (not thrashing it)

I've seen people averaging 26-32mpg on here. What do I need to do to improve my MPG?

I've bought new plugs from GSF, 8mm Magnacore leads, new lambda probe and temp sensor.

Any advise is much appreciated!

Jonathan =)

is that figure from the mfa or actual calculation? im getting roughly 100-140 miles to 20quid depending on how i drive it.

The figures I mentioned are from the mfa. I know it's not totally accurate howver I put £25 in the tank the other day and it lasted 100 miles (out of that 100 miles I approx did 30miles of motorway driving.....steady 60-70mpg) :S

Hopefully changing the o2 sensor, plugs, leads and filter will make a difference.

Any other ideas to what I can do?

Just out of interest.....what do you guys average mpg on your VR's?

Cheers! =)

I knew when i bought my VR that the fuel consumption would not be all that great, after all it is almost a 3 litre! I just put my foot down and all my fuel worries are forgotten about :lol:

You should get VAG-com plugged into it. That should give you some idication to the problem. Blue temp sensor is normally the culprit, as it runs on the cold start map continuously and is a common fault.

That's almost exactly 20mpg! Ouch! As t'others have said, best get your VR on VAGCOM first and see if it flags anything up. It'll be a duff sensor somewhere causing it! Or a fuel leak!!

high 20's early 30's on a run

best ive had - 38

worst to date - 14 (on Nurburgring)

Think I saw about 16mpg round the 'ring...... saw 7mpg at Snetterton a few weeks later though! :lol:

As others said: Get it Vagcom'd as a start and go from there

Hey guys,

thanks for the info. I just changed my plugs (bosch super 4) 8mm magnacore leads and plugged in the new lambda sensor. Shes running so smooth I was really shocked!! However the MPG is showing even less now!!! LOL

I unplugged the battery for 15minutes hoping it may reset the ecu also.

I bought a new blue temp sensor which i'll put in tomorrow. Hopefully that will sort things out!

My mates got VAGCOM software but I need to get hold of the OBD1 cable as his uses OBD2. Any ideas where I can get hold of one?

Many thanks!

Jonathan =)

i thought they had the same connectors what car does he have ???

oh and im getting around 30-31 on a motorway run and 25 ish around town and i know my blue temp senders out as the temp reads 77 ish on the dash i have vagcom :D if your around the heathrow area next week i can scan your car it takes 5 mins :D

His mates cable will have the later rectangular-ish connector whilst the Corrado to about '93 has the 2 x 2pin connectors. The cheap ebay cable converts the OBD2 style plug to the early 2x2 style. Is that what you mean.

By the way, I get 31-32ish on a run and mid - high 20's for anything else.

His mates cable will have the later rectangular-ish connector whilst the Corrado to about '93 has the 2 x 2pin connectors. The cheap ebay cable converts the OBD2 style plug to the early 2x2 style. Is that what you mean.

By the way, I get 31-32ish on a run and mid - high 20's for anything else.

interesting i though all vr6's had the obd connector (rectangular type) as you said :shock:

Just an aside, but someone mentioned a fuel leak and I thought I should point out that the MFA reports mpg based on injector timings, not amount of fuel leaving the tank - i.e. a leak would not show up on the mile per gallon readout. It'll certainly be a sensor that's gone bad.

My mate with the vagcom owns a 1998 audi 1.8T. i just assumed with his being an OBD2 and mine being OBD1 that i'd have to get a different cable. Anyways; one of the guys on here has kindly offered to help me out with his vagcom! lets see how that goes! :)