James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

Spot it if you can ;)

Now that sounds like a challenge.

---------- Post added 7th December 2012 at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was 6th December 2012 at 11:51 PM ----------

Well done James, plenty of paint then plenty to rub back if you need too.

Thanks Chris. Will do. I'm going to rub the primer back, second coat, rub, basecoat etc etc. Just want to get the front subframe installed. It's a milestone I'd like to reach before Santa arrives.

Edited by James.

good work dude , if your gona use spray canns idd recommend you finish it off with 2k clear in aerosol, atleast then aslong as you put it down wet enough you will have decent gloss and durability especialy for the visible areas in the engine bay.

Didn't know you could get 2k in an aerosol? How does it harden without mixing it with a hardener first?

James the thing i like about your thread is not only the dedication to detail and results but the absolute eloquence in how you deliver what you're doing. really paints a picture (no pun intended on the current portion of the thread!). Very enjoyable and informative as ever ;)

Didn't know you could get 2k in an aerosol? How does it harden without mixing it with a hardener first?

theres like a button underneith the cann when you hit it it breaks open the hardner, never used it before as iv allways used the stuff in tins for the gun but just know about it, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mipa-2K-2PACK-Clear-Lacquer-400-ml-Spray-Aerosol-/261100134335?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3ccac7dfbf

please do your research about isocyanates before useing 2k paints though, it is very harmful, so your gona want to use an organic vapour filterd mask atleast and good ventilation is a must!

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

theres like a button underneith the cann when you hit it it breaks open the hardner, never used it before as iv allways used the stuff in tins for the gun but just know about it, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mipa-2K-2PACK-Clear-Lacquer-400-ml-Spray-Aerosol-/261100134335?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3ccac7dfbf

please do your research about isocyanates before useing 2k paints though, it is very harmful, so your gona want to use an organic vapour filterd mask atleast and good ventilation is a must!

Ahh ok that's handy to know thanks! I think I'd probably still use my gun for most jobs, just didn't know how you could get it in cans! Don't worry I have an af mask ;-)

Ahh ok that's handy to know thanks! I think I'd probably still use my gun for most jobs, just didn't know how you could get it in cans! Don't worry I have an af mask ;-)

yea just thought i should warn others reading it, which air fed mask system you got? thought about it the otherday as i might be doing alot more painting next year and wouldnt mind cutting out the risk altogether.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2K clearcoat. I've already bought the clearcoat (U-POL) though. I was sworn off the 2k cans by a friend who couldn't highlight the massive health risks enough.

Into the garage with a couple of heaters on Sunday.

Butterfly said:

FFS it is nearly 2013 isn't it...

It is indeed. And I've got a car to rebuild. Best get some work done...

Decided to dine at the "Corrado restoration table" today. Managed to make a booking for about eleven thirty. And in an attempt to avoid the cliche' starters such as garlic bread and the intravenous injection of cold hard drugs, decided to continue with my own choice of:

Starter..

Clearcoated the scuttle tray, engine bay, arches and various under-neathy sections of newly needy-painty-bits. What a result. laid it on quite wet and left it ten minutes for the next coat. Damn stuff looks sweeter than a Crispy Creme glaze. I licked my lips and moved on...

P1060898.JPG

Main...

Built up the front suspension and set it to one side until the clear coat is "propper ard". Coloured dots for the springs or not ? Hmmmm haven't decided yet.

Desert...

Undoing my belt a little, I tucked into the meeting of body and subframe. A moment I've been waiting a very very long time for. I feel it's a momentous occasion. I'm not saying man on the moon type occasion, more a channel tunnel, Higgs Boson type of thing. New bolts slipped in with copper slipped ease. Whilst the radiator supports needed the similar amount of persuasion to be coupled into their final resting places.

P1060906.JPG

Cigars, Cognac, Wafffer theen meents Sir ?

Why not. All three, while watching Wigan on Match of The Day.

The perfect day.

Edited by James.

Truly outstanding write up as usual. this would be a great read in a series of sections to go in the Sprinter James, all you'd have to do is copy and paste sections of it ;)

Great progress as ever Chap, cant wait to see it again after all this work. :) Chapeau!

James, looks stunning - what better way is there to use those odd days that nestle between Christmas and New Year?

Keep up the great work, looking forward to the next installment, Dave.

And so it goes...

Scuttle tray is pretty much complete. Awaiting some scuttle trim plugs from Germany and I can sign that job off. But as is the way with most Corrados, the trim was held down with lashings of silicone. Unsurprising as the plugs are obsolete in the UK.

In the mean time I obtained a very good trim cover, cut out one of my home made foilage seal "specials", drilled a hole for the air con cable and installed. I'm all for keeping it original, but when Diavia smash out a hole the size of an egg to route a 4mm cable... I draw the line.

P1060928.JPG

P1060931.JPG

Installed a few small engine bay parts, exhaust heat shields, front suspension, wishbones and got my rear beam complete with new bushes back from Corkills VW (Thanks chaps).

The brakes were returned from North West powder-coaters, freshly blasted. Along with the steering knuckles, cutting a dash in their newly restored black overcoats.

Gave the brakes a lick of Jenolite to keep the red devil at bay and once dry, proceeded to coat them in a zinc primer and an aluminium outer. The difference is simply astounding. I had a dalliance with electrolosis and a Bilt hamber bath (not for me mind !). And to be fair, they both produced good results. But they weren't GREAT results. So off they went to Chorley for a blast from their past.

With the steering rack, and other black engine parts getting some love, it's been a productive (if rediculously cold) few weeks. I wish it would warm up. But with that means closer to summer. And closer to my (desired) completion date.

Edited by James.

Campaigns log. Stardate 150213.

A parcel from a neighboring galaxy arrived with us recently. Rare things indeed. No it wasn't a lesser spotted gweeky gweeky bird from Over ham-noid 5. Or was it the shivering natter build frog from him whipped one-oh-three ?

The cause for such rarified arrivals ? Well the right signs were there. Sporting a clouded grey package and the words "Classic parts". The captains table was trembling with excitement.

P1060950.JPG

Clips, tanks and covers. The project is moving in the right direction now. But at the right speed ? Maybe a jump to lightspeed may help. Scotty, better punch up warp drive...

Edited by James.

Are those small clips from Classic parts for the headlight lens...

I was fortunate enough to have a picture of my VR taken next to your rare campaign a while back one cold lancashire corrado meet. Hope to see it back on the roads again for another pic soon. Still got the pic to prove it :)

Easter Sunday. What more of a perfect occasion than to be messing about in the garage and its surrounding area. The easter bunny had left some treats for Oscar this morning, and with a similar spring in my step, I bounded over to the garage (having acrued a mass of garage time).

First on the agenda was fitting those scuttle clips from der fatherland. Possible the most time consuming and yet rewarding job I've completed for some time. I had to cut away sections of mastic from under the window (to allow the trim to clip in place). But boy what a result. the trim now sits up against the window real tight and solid. One of those jobs that deserved to be done right.

P1070036.JPG

Second up was the new wiper motor. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the motor to where I wanted it to be. The solution was to obtain a new one. This time a Febi unit. Looks the part and as for wiping abilities ? I guess well never know. It's not like the car's going out in the rain when all the works finished !

P1070038.JPG

Gave the exhaust a battering with the wire wheel, jenolite and VHT paint. Popped it back in place (excuse the makeshift zip tie hangars) and it' starting to look good under there.

P1070033.JPG

P1070039.JPG

All the loom was wrapped with Scapa tape during the week, and now it's all coming together nicely.

Wanted to install the rear beam, until I was politely reminded that we're out tonight, so had to return indoors for my annual shower.

Tonight I drink to mother nature and the beauty of a warm/dry spring day. And to a productive day. Cheers !

Edited by James.

Great stuff mate, all this cleaning and painting makes me glad I have another project..!

All this stripping and cleaning makes me wanna go for it too! Must.................Resist..................and......................prioritise! :lol:

Great work as always , i have a shot blasted metal bracket for the wiper arms ,which i got on friday to fit .

Coming along great James. When are you hoping to have it back on the road and ready for viewing?

Mine went back on the road this morning (April 1st) complete with new Lemforder top mounts/improved front bumper/recon distributor etc. A 30 mile trip to Coniston confirmed the effort had been worthwhile. When it comes to rubber suspension bits, VW/Lemforder makes a lot of difference.

All we need now is some rain to wash away the salt and some sunshine to enhance our driving pleasure.

Hope Oscar enjoyed his Easter treats (chocolate I presume?)

makes me glad I have another project..!

Discuss...

---------- Post added at 1:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:35 PM ----------

When are you hoping to have it back on the road and ready for viewing?

All we need now is some rain to wash away the salt and some sunshine to enhance our driving pleasure.

Hope Oscar enjoyed his Easter treats (chocolate I presume?)

I agree Alan, the warmth yesterday had such a motivating effect. Colder today, but bouyed by yesterdays work I may squeeze a couple of hours in whilst the family are out visiting relatives.

I'd lightly pencilled in May for completion, but life has got in the way (which I in no way begrudge). So now we aim for the 1st of August. Lots of other jobs going on in my life, to drain my time. But I feel like I'm on the right side of completion now, so I'll just keep chipping away.

And as for chocolate eggs, nine of them sat in the kitchen and not one of them is for me.

Typical !

Edited by James.