Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

New Scirocco V Mk5 Gti

Ive been contemplating this since the start of the year and Im just wondering if the Scirocco is worth the extra money over a Mk5 Gti. Has anyone driven both that can commet?

I like the practicality of the Mk5 (will be 5dr) and it suits my other hobbies however I cannot get the Scirocco out of my thoughts at the moment. They seem to be keeping their value really well just now as well so the extra money might pay off in the long run. Looking around a decent Mk5's can be had for £12k and cheapest Rocco is still around £19k with Ed30's somewhere in the middle. I have been contemplating other cars such as BM's but I love hot hatches too mutch. Saying that I do like my 4mo as well...

Have had similar thoughts and I keep coming back to ED30.

No brainer with the residuals, practicality, spec and turbo tuning potential

Was snooping around a white scirocco down at The Phirm a few weeks ago and my was it nice.....the guy had a remap and got an extra 70bhp for £500 :shock: - I know thats kinda old news but it still amazed me considering the amount you would have to put into a VR to get 70bhp more !!!

Love the scirocco's interior aswell, seats are lovely......tough (but nice) choice to make :)

Have had similar thoughts and I keep coming back to ED30.

No brainer with the residuals, practicality, spec and turbo tuning potential

At the moment their leading as remap and its 300bhp however I really want a blue Mk5. Im not bothered if there are loads on the go, Ive still got the Corrado.

Rocco is nice but is it worth paying say £5-7k extra purely for looks? Cannot tow with a Rocco either.

Golf every time. I just can't get excited about the Rocco, it's ugly and awkward looking imo. The Rocco's magnetic dampers are not worth the extra £5-£7K and are easily retro fittable to the MK5. They're bloody good though and the Rocco does handle better for them.

Is a Scirocco a poor man's TT? :shock: . What have I said.....

I don't think poor comes into it when buying a VAG, but agreed, the TT is far better looking than the Scirocco, but £43K for the RS version is a bit :cuckoo: if you ask me.

I don't think poor comes into it when buying a VAG, but agreed, the TT is far better looking than the Scirocco, but £43K for the RS version is a bit :cuckoo: if you ask me.

We had a TTRS in the other day at work, Roadster version with all the toys which had a list price of £55k which is a joke!

As for mk5 GTi vs Scirroco, I've driven both and had a scirocco as a company car for a few weeks and I would say the scirocco is the better handler and it is a significant notch up in build quality over the mk5 golfs but they are holding their values really well and I don't think it's worth the extra £7k over the Mk5 Gti Edition 30.

Just my 2p

That's ridiculous, £5K more buys you an M5 and I know what I'd rather have!

That might explain why I've only seen one TT RS on the road since it's launch :lol:

Is it just me or are all mainstream euro boxes just getting ridiculous price tags on them these days?! I mean, £31K for a BMW 130i M Sport, plus options. That much for the bottom run BMW? :cuckoo: Even the MK6 Golf R is something daft like £36K?

The world has gone bloody nuts....

Audi and VW pricing has gone crazy but not as crazy as Ford pricing. Model for model the Fiesta is about 1.5K more expensive than a Polo, Focus (ST / RS excepted) is about £1k more than a Golf.

Back on topic, I'd take an Ed30 Golf over a Scirocco every time

Wheels and turbo size being the two most noticable changes, plus some other subtle differences.

Doesnt it also use the engine out of the S3 which is stronger....?

Wheels and turbo size being the two most noticable changes, plus some other subtle differences.

I believe so, yes, but I was trying not to get too technical on Dr Forinor :lol:

I believe so, yes, but I was trying not to get too technical on Dr Forinor :lol:

Oi, wheesht you!!! I understand that much ye fecker! :tongue:

I thought the Ed30 was just a remap of the old GTi engine. The new Scirocco and Golf R's use the Audi S3 motor but a bit of a tweak to get 265bhp out of the scirroco and 270bhp in the golf.

Heres the difference,

Larger Turbo from S3 (K04) rather then the K03 on the GTI

* 87°C thermostat instead of 80°C

* Larger capacity fuel injectors (13% higher flow)

* Larger intercooler (smaller then the S3)

* Engine block main bearing caps, pedestals are reinforced

* Conrods have larger rod bolts and new bearings

* Pistons have 21mm gudgeon pins instead of 19mm

* Piston top ring is improved

* Recirculation Valve (blow off valve) not located on turbo

Also believe the head is different.

ED30 would seem the best overall option but I dont like the look of them, the fully colour coding is not to my taste with the colour options available. Maybe all black or the grey but not white or red.

Also believe the head is different.

Some of the 2.0 Turbo lumps went back to port injection (instead of direct injection) because of nozzle clogging issues, and this- http://www.mrctuning.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=18

The valves and ports never get washed with fuel and gum up with tonnes of breather oil, which reduces power. A common mod on the MK5 now is to dump the PCV to atmosphere or use a catch can - http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Mk5-FSI ... p_308.html

I find the 2.0 lumps to be confusing tbh. I know the MK6 has gone back to port injection and is of a Yamaha design (IIRC) and called a 'TSI'. The older original K03 motor is the 'TFSI'.

If the ED30 got the TSI head, it's definitely the engine to go for.

That's ridiculous, £5K more buys you an M5 and I know what I'd rather have!

That might explain why I've only seen one TT RS on the road since it's launch :lol:

Is it just me or are all mainstream euro boxes just getting ridiculous price tags on them these days?! I mean, £31K for a BMW 130i M Sport, plus options. That much for the bottom run BMW? :cuckoo: Even the MK6 Golf R is something daft like £36K?

The world has gone bloody nuts....

I was using this argument in a discussion with my Dad when trying to justify 'charging the C. I know it's different, but 300bhp doesn't come much cheaper than a 2k Corrado and supercharger kit, does it?

And on the issue in hand, Golf everytime. My mate has the Scirocco, and nice as it is, it's not where the smart money is spent.

Interesting. Quick search has found these two fairly close 8) The Corrado might be coming of the road for a while.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

My mate has a 280bhp 280 torque normal Gti 5dr in black. Looks spot on 8)

It is silly fast as well. A ED30 with 330bhp would be plain and utter stupidity. Frickin love it!!!!! :luvlove: :lol:

You would need an LSD!

You can get an Edition 30 to 350bhp fairly cheap.

If that's just from a remap, then I'm extremely sceptical of that :D

I saw a pale green :pukeright: Scirocco yesterday. At first I thought it was a new Peugeot. Not a look I have taken to yet.

I loved glancing at the newly washed C yesterday. It is so dark a green it is almost black. A bit miffed the other day when an elderly lady asked if I was the owner of the black Vauxhall next to her car! :eek: