Vince@Stealth

ABS Pedal distance sensor now obsolete... Grrrrrrr

Could they not be fixed as opposed to being replaced? I reckon they are probably just a potentiometer inside no?

Has anyone taken one apart?

Could they not be fixed as opposed to being replaced? I reckon they are probably just a potentiometer inside no?

Has anyone taken one apart?

Yes maybe, who volunteers to take theirs out and have a look.... If you do don't break it :D

Or if anyone has an old one kicking about, Kev maybe? send it to me and i will have a look

I must have chucked away at leat 5 old ones last year :(

I might have one somewhere. I'll try to dig it out.

I'm going down the simpler route.

I'm going to find someone to create a circuit that illuminates a bulb for 3 seconds when it recieves a 12v signal....

So true why stop making parts that are needed, if the price is right im in for a group buy just incase i ever need one

Because they want to sell you new cars, not prolong the life of old ones!

We really should stop being VW enthusiasts and switch to being Merc or BMW enthusiasts.. they have a huge framework and schemes in place specifically for supporting older BMW's and Mercs. Parts on cars even 20+ years old are readily available from Germany and the dealer network know all about them and how to maintain them it seems.

I feel like we're doing VW a favour by keeping these great cars on the road but they seem to have f*ck all interest in doing their bit.

yep i totally agree with this mymate had a E30 320 and a 325i and never had any problems getting parts for it VW are just ass holes!!! :censored:

I'm going to find someone to create a circuit that illuminates a bulb for 3 seconds when it recieves a 12v signal....

:D :D I like your thinking!!

ABS, Always Broken System

:rofl:

:rofl:

You know how you're good with electronics.... :luvlove:

yep i totally agree with this mymate had a E30 320 and a 325i and never had any problems getting parts for it VW are just ass holes!!! :censored:

You have just given me an idea! ATE make brakes for a lot of manufactures, I wonder if the same part can be found on 1990>1995 BMW's, Mercs etc..?

Like you say maybe we can get better support from them...

Could be another route to investigate.... I know a guy who is into BMW's, I will ask the question.

It's times like this VW don't deserve the loyalty they get. Especially on safety related items

Same with the track rollers for the windows. Used to be a few quid and stopped the rattley glass problem. Now they're only available as part of the entire £200+ motor mechanism.

Kev,

Can I ask how this information is made available? The reason why is that my dealership parts guy (who is fantastically helpful and a real diamond) had been advised earlier this week by Volkswagen's Parts support team that the only source was either second hand or new-old-stock. If there is another way he can find out accurate parts availability (even if only as part of an assembly) I would like to let him know so he can be even more useful.

Thanks,

:clap: screw you VW!! :grin:

You know what, that's actually not a bad idea just to get past the MOT thingie! Let us know how you get on! :D

See here:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54330&p=682246#p682246

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54330&start=30#p687439

Hi Vince,

I've got one of these sensors, as new, fitted for a day on my OBD1 Golf VR6 then taken off, turned out my problem was not this sensor. I've since fitted the ABS system off an OBD2 Golf, which does not use this sensor.

It's yours FOC if you want it, let me know and I'll pop it in the post?

Cheers,

Kong

Kev,

Can I ask how this information is made available? The reason why is that my dealership parts guy (who is fantastically helpful and a real diamond) had been advised earlier this week by Volkswagen's Parts support team that the only source was either second hand or new-old-stock. If there is another way he can find out accurate parts availability (even if only as part of an assembly) I would like to let him know so he can be even more useful.

Thanks,

A colleague on the forum here works for Audi and checked availability of their part on their system. It was confirmed as obsolete. Had this confirmed by my local parts guy who's pretty darn helpful and on the side of the enthusiasts with a MK2 Golf :)

Food for thought regarding what I said about BMW and a choice quote I picked out...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/08/bmw- ... es-dedica/

The youngest offspring of BMW's series output which the experts of BMW Group Classic have taken under their wing is the second-generation 7 Series, which was produced until 1994. The decision on which components should be given priority for remanufacture lies with the customers. From intensive contacts with brand clubs and drivers of BMW classics, and by observing the market, the experts know where the greatest demand lies.

Where the f*ck are VW in this sort of market.

Hi Vince,

I've got one of these sensors, as new, fitted for a day on my OBD1 Golf VR6 then taken off, turned out my problem was not this sensor. I've since fitted the ABS system off an OBD2 Golf, which does not use this sensor.

It's yours FOC if you want it, let me know and I'll pop it in the post?

Cheers,

Kong

That would be great, at least if I have a working one then one solution would be to get it cloned..

I am quite happy to cover any costs.. send me an email [email protected]

I don't think American Corrados got this sensor as I can't find it on their parts catalogues, so we really are up brown creek without a paddle.

If someone has time to rifle through RS's catalogue, I'm sure they'll have a similar plunger we can use, or adapt. Probably in the Control gear section.

havent read the total thread but would it be possible to use/adapt a similar item from another car not VW? Does BMW or any other manufacturer have something similar that could be reworked to fit or operate in the same way? If mecahncial adapters (plastic, rubber, seals etc) are required then let me know as i supply these through my company so could get batches made up if we need them. Dont know much about electronics though tbh.

That's a damn good point /\.

E30 325is practically have the identical ABS system to the Corrado / Golf. Perhaps worth asking on a BMW forum?

Kev,

A colleague on the forum here works for Audi and checked availability of their part on their system. It was confirmed as obsolete. Had this confirmed by my local parts guy who's pretty darn helpful and on the side of the enthusiasts with a MK2 Golf :)

Understood Jim. My parts guy told me about the roller obsolesence earlier in the week (here). It was the wider issue of why my parts guy missed the fact that the items were still available but only as part of an assembly? I thought there might be something he missed/was not common VW staff knowledge. I have asked him why the VW Parts Support team didn't tell him this. He is the sort of guy who will be miffed that he gave me an incomplete answer :clap:.

The lesson learned is when told an item is obsolete, to then ask "but is it still available as part of a complete assembly" :)

... if you have a winning lottery ticket in your pocket for the price of the complete assembly!

Yeah, its called a monostable, easy peasy job for anyone with an interest in basic electronics. I'll make as many as people want, say £100 each :)