stormseeker

VAG-COM scanning & help

hi mate thanks for the offer. i have just looked at ebay and they arent that dear if im looking at the right bits

can anyone confirm that if i use this lead

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBDII-OBD2-VAG-CO ... rms=66%3A2

with this reader software and cable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-VW-Audi-Diagn ... =72%3A1683

will this read the abs faults on a g60?

That all looks correct to me. You will still need to download a copy of vag-com, available from Ross-tech's site as a shareware basic version for free.

thanks phil

i thought the cd would have that on it, i guess its just a driver for the cable then

It might have it, but my guess from the advert is that it only includes the driver for the cable.

As said if you need a full copy of vag-com just bring the whole lot over to me. I have an OBD2 lead.

cheers. ive just ordered those bits as i can use them on the old mans tt as well as the corrado and at £15 its a steal. but if i get nowhere with it expect a pm! :lol:

I've recently got VAG-COM, so I can help out in the Manchester area, have the OBD2 lead.

I had a few issues using it with Windows Vista at first (Using a USB>serial cable off ebay, and VAG-COM 409), here's a few tips if you plan to do the same -

Make sure the cable comes with a driver suitable for Vista, install this first

Install the Vagcom software in a folder directly in the root 'C' drive, i.e. C:\VAGCOM\ (don't install in C:\program files)

After VAG-Com software is first installed, use the 'Windows compatibility wizard' on the VAG-COM shortcut (see windows help for a link to it)

when using the Wizard, select 'Settings for windows XP SP2' and 'run program as Administrator'.

When the Wizard has completed, VAG-COM should work fine from its shortcut without freezing/crashing.

Also as mentioned in other posts, don't forget to change the latency timer of the USB serial port to '5' if you want to read ABS codes -

(Control panel/hardware/devicemanager/ports/ 'USB serial port' advanced tab)

Has anyone got VAG-COM that's not too far from Kettering, Northamptonshire? I need to scan mine tomorrow ideally to see why it's going in to limp mode! You get to look at some R32 goodness for your troubles :lol:

Can some one edit me on the first post please. I've just upgraded to a genuine! ross-tech hex+can cable and have 2x2 adapter so can do any VAG vehicle with from OBD1 2x2 to CANbus stuff. using version 908 software if that means anything.

Anyone in the Oxford area got a cable I can come and use (be some beer in it for you). ABS light comes on and off and need to see what the problem is.

In fact my family live in Salisbury and I go down there quite a bit, so anyone roughly between Oxford and Salisbury would be useful.

Thanks

I would like to set up Vag-Com on my computer.

What do I need ?

I've got a PC and know that I need the 2x2 connector (does this go by any other name ? and are the ones on ebay reliable) as I have a 92 VR6.

Went to the Ross-tech website and that's where my problems started. Which, what, where ???

I've had a trawl through the threads so my apologies if I have overlooked it.

I would like to set up Vag-Com on my computer.

What do I need ?

I've got a PC and know that I need the 2x2 connector (does this go by any other name ? and are the ones on ebay reliable) as I have a 92 VR6.

Went to the Ross-tech website and that's where my problems started. Which, what, where ???

I've had a trawl through the threads so my apologies if I have overlooked it.

The 2x2 connector is simply an adaptor from the 16 pin connector to the cars connector. You'll still need the 16 pin cable - see ebay, i got both together on there.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/ - i think it was the twin com one you want version 409 or 311.

Hi gents,

Going by the information provided right at the beginning of this thread, I've always understood that the 16V 9A ECU cannot be read by VAG-COM, and that the only information that can be read via VAG-COM on the 9A Corrado is fault code data from the ABS controller. This was pretty much confirmed to me recently when I borrowed VAG-COM from a friend, and when I used it, it was only able to detect the ABS ECU and not the engine ECU on our 2L 9A Corrado.

However, I've been reading various threads on here relating to troubleshooting on the 9A and read lots of comments from people using a diagnostic utility to read fault codes and other real-time parameters from the 9A engine ECU, which can then be used to diagnose faults with the lambda sensor, etc.

So, should it be possible to read the 9A ECU via VAG-COM after all, or is another diagnostic protocol (i.e. something other than VAG-COM) used?

EDIT: After even more searching I came across this thread: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33509&hilit=9a+fault+codes. The information here suggests that I need to use VAG-COM interface that is not optically isolated; I think the interface I used was indeed opto-isolated. If this is true then it would be extremely helpful if someone could please suggest a source for a VAG-COM interface which has been tested and confirmed to work with the 9A ECU.

Thanks,

Trev

Anyone in the Oxford area got a cable I can come and use (be some beer in it for you). ABS light comes on and off and need to see what the problem is.

In fact my family live in Salisbury and I go down there quite a bit, so anyone roughly between Oxford and Salisbury would be useful.

Thanks

Just got my obd2 cable and been having a go today. Im on cowley, Oxford if thats any good to you?

Hi gents,

Going by the information provided right at the beginning of this ....................So, should it be possible to read the 9A ECU via VAG-COM after all, or is another diagnostic protocol (i.e. something other than VAG-COM) used?

EDIT: After even more searching I came across this thread: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33509&hilit=9a+fault+codes. The information here suggests that I need to use VAG-COM interface that is not optically isolated; I think the interface I used was indeed opto-isolated. If this is true then it would be extremely helpful if someone could please suggest a source for a VAG-COM interface which has been tested and confirmed to work with the 9A ECU.

Thanks,

Trev

I originally posted up this fix years ago. You DO need an interface lead that is electronic, not optical for the 9a engine ECU and the minimum version is v409, earlier won't work.

You also need to reduce the Baud Rate before engaging the ECU otherwise the ECU will "choke". To clear the "choke", back out of VCDS all together, then the ignition needs to be off for a few seconds and then turned back, then back in with VCDS on until you get it right, then it will be plain sailing. You cannot change the baud rate while the VCDS is actively engaged or trying to engage the ECU.

Not much in the ECU to do once inside on the 16v!

The interface lead I use for this is: Twin Com used is Ross-Tech's with v409 (Now VCDS Lite). Baud Rate: 4800, set thro' "Options" button.

My laptop is set up to run two short cuts to two separate copies of VCDS. One for general usage, the other specifically set-up to access a 16v ECU with 4800 baud setting.

hi

im feeling a bit daft, full of joy with the purchase of my new vag com i increased the screen size to the maximum size and now i cannot see anything and i cant manipulate the screen so that i can see the buttons to reduce it anybody know if its possible to reduce the screen size?

any help gratefully recieved

andy

if anybody is interested i have a genuine ross-tech key-usb vagcom dongle interface for sale check out my for sale thread

Im having trouble getting my vagcom to work. I think i understand the setup and can sucessful test a com for whichever usb port im using but im having trouble actually using vagcom. Everytime i try a scan the software crashes and closes? Am i write in thinking the software needs to be installed everytime i use it? does it have to be manually uninstalled after each use? im using it with vista and a kit i bought off ebay with thee obd2 style plug.

Im having trouble getting my vagcom to work. I think i understand the setup and can sucessful test a com for whichever usb port im using but im having trouble actually using vagcom. Everytime i try a scan the software crashes and closes? Am i write in thinking the software needs to be installed everytime i use it? does it have to be manually uninstalled after each use? im using it with vista and a kit i bought off ebay with thee obd2 style plug.

Nope, should only have to be installed the once. What version are you using? It maybe worth trying a different version. I run it on XP so not sure what it runs like on Vista.. if at all.

I've just been outside and had another go. No matter what scan or check i try and perform, i press start, i hear one click then a double click noise come from inside the dash, then the software stops working on the last click and shuts down :mad2: