Deluxe

Sunroof Repair Wiki Link?

Sorry to be dense, but I can't for the life of me find the Wiki page on Sunroof Repair!

Would be very grateful if a link could be posted,

Cheers all - maybe i'll have a sunroof working this summer!

Interesting, I thought there was one there, clearly not.

You'll have to do a search of the posts then I'm afraid.

Go to the Advanced search and choose "Sunroof" and "Topic title only". There's 20 pages of posts so clearly a bone of contention with Corrado owners :lol:

What's up with yours? Tilt but won't slide?

When you slide, does the motor stop almost immediately?

One thing you can check there first is the motor. Remove the motor cover panel and switch panel. Make sure the roof is parked in it's closed position. Undo the two phillips screws holding the motor to the sunroof frame and wiggle it slightly to disengage the gear drive and then let it hang on it's loom.

Reconnect the switch panel and try "opening the roof". The motor should turn slowly for a second, and then speed up, run for approx 4 seconds, slow down again and then click to a stop.

Close the roof again and you should see the same behaviour. Close the doors and then do a full closure (with the alarm or hold the door key in the locked position for a few seconds) to allow the motor to self align, then pop it back in the frame.

If the motor stops immediately after the slow start, it's knackered. You'll need a new or second hand one. £200 from VW :( It may tilt up and down OK still though, but the motor is very complex and the sliding side of it is busted.

If the motor does do as described and doesn't make any nasty noises, it's fine, and your cables are too stiff or the nearside one has sheared. The whole frame will have to come out and be stripped down, checked, cables replaced if necessary and reassembled with VAG G000 450 02 lubricant.

The part number for the new cables is 1H0 898 014 A

Intresting info there, my sunroof tilts but doesn`t slide so i will give the motor ago and see if that sorts anything out. There was a copy of the CCGB Sprinter mag that had a copy of a WIKI in it about fixing the sun roof, you should see if anybody has on for sale.

I have a couple of sunroof frames and motors kicking around the garage, so I can do a strip down and rebuild guide if need be.

The motor assemblies are really fickle. Sometimes they don't stop when they're supposed to, sometimes they fail to engage speed 2 (the most common fault by far) and sometimes they develop dodgy contacts and only work as they should intermittantly.

I think the failed speed 2 possibly comes from stiff frame mechanisms overloading it.

my sunroof tilted and slided, but since being resrayed its not done either, they must of fecked it when putting it back in.. the motor makes the noise but dont do nothing

what you reckon??

my sunroof tilted and slided, but since being resrayed its not done either, they must of fecked it when putting it back in.. the motor makes the noise but dont do nothing

what you reckon??

2 things....

1) Did they put the panel back in right? The front of the panel needs to be 1mm below the roof line and the rear of the panel needs to be 1mm above the roof line.

I use a credit card to check that, which is about 1mm thick.

2) Did they resync the motor before operating it?

To resync it, drop the motor out of the frame and leave it connected. Do a full closure (via alarm or door lock) and if the motor is out of sync, you'll see the motor wind a bit then stop. If it doesn't do anything, it's happy with it's position.

Unlock the car again, turn the ignition on and wind the motor back and forth and tilt etc with the switch. Then do another full closure, pop the motor back in and try again.

Winding it back and forth with the switch isn't entirely necessary as part of the sync, but I like to do that just to see with my own eyes the motor speed and timings are correct before trying to move the panel with it!

the roofs on both my cars open but dont close, the same thing seems to be broke on them. It looks like the bit in the pics I think. I'd love to fix it, does it take a while?

the roofs on both my cars open but dont close, the same thing seems to be broke on them. It looks like the bit in the pics I think. I'd love to fix it, does it take a while?

Yeah if you pull back the liner panel and watch what happens when it slides, you'll see the chrome casting stay still and what's left of it go back into roof with the cable!

Unfortunately the un-sheared side will still try and do it's job, which bends the panel and scratches it on the roof's support straps as it slides back. Nice :censored:

Doesn't take long to replace the cables. I would arm yourself with some new A, B and C pillar trim clips first though because they always break.

Get a copy of the Bentley too as it shows some very important cable alignment procedures in there which must be followed. I'm sure someone has a copy on PDF and wouldn't mind pasting the screen shots :D

I would say thats whats happening, I got bently PDF. I might try and get a spare person to help me. I need a few trim clips anyway. I'll get some prices.

im pretty sure they have put the panel back wrong on my sunroof, when they sprayed it they took the seal out as well but thats all i know of what they actually done?

can anyone tell me how i can put the panel in the right position again?

Did I not explain how to align the panel 2 or 3 posts back? :shrug:

so a resync of the motor will align the panel then kev? bit confused, thought they were 2 different things...

well dropped the motor out like you said and it works perfectly when not attached, messed around with it but i think the panel is either jammed or not in correctly maybe??

so a resync of the motor will align the panel then kev? bit confused, thought they were 2 different things...[/quote:1nfwk41o]

The panel alignment is the "1mm below, 1mm above" bit and the motor bit is just to sync it to the C/L so that full closure and manual operation are timed correctly.

If they replaced the main weather seal on the panel with a new one, did they fit it properly? It needs to be warmed up and stretched on properly. If they just put the original one back on, then it should work really. Perhaps go back to them and say they messed it up and get it working again!

its got the old seal on :?

will drive there on the way back and ask him what he has actually done as it sounds like its fecked, i was thinking it would be a quick fix, but obviously they have donw some real damage to it :censored:

cheers kev

They are extremely tempermental these Sunroofs! It doesn't take a lot to muck them up.

I'm pretty sure all they would have done is take the panel off, paint it, then put it back on and not touched the mech, in which case it should work mate.

You could try it with roof panel off. That will at least check to see if the mechanism works. If it does, then it's just the panel alignment that's stopping it.

Let us know how it works out!

just to add my experience to this ohh so common issue...

My sunroof did the classic "tilt no problems, i'll slide back....BUUUUUT-if-you-want-to-close-me-then-you-are-gonna-have-to-fiddle-my-button-like-you-are-trying-to-find-my a,b,c,d,e,f...spot" routine... :cuckoo:

So after endless hours searching and reading the advice of others, i thought i had it sussed as being lack of lube on the runners. I came to this conclusion because as suggested by other poeple, I took the motor off the mechanism and tried to run it without any load to test it. Motor ran as expected and experienced no signs of wear, slow down or any odd noises. Great...

So i cracked on and decided to invest in the £23 tube of corrado-sunroof-sexual-healing-grease (G 000 450 02) which is apparently some special grease designed for the sunroof sliding mechanism.

On i went and removed the sunroof (very fiddly but actually quite easy - read the multiple guides or invest in a Bentley manual). Didn't really see anything too concerning except a little bit of muck and old dried grease and the usual wear on the runner track (easily identified as the black coating has long gone and it is all shiny metal) So i thought i had cracked it, cleaned off the 15+ years of crud and applied the grease in a military fashion trying to get it in all the important places without over-doing it. I made sure the metal fixing brackets attached to the guide cables had not snapped (but i was fairly sure this wasn't the case else the roof wouldn't slide at all).. check them none-the-less whilst everything is out!

Feeling happy with myself I replaced the mechanism into the mardy mare, made sure the mechanism was setup so the roof was parked in the closed position, re-attached the motor and thought...happy days. As you can probably guess...i had failed miserably and upon trying to close the sunroof from its fully open (slide) position it did the same thing :epicfail: (insert muchos muchos swearing and cursing here...)

Thought that's it, im gonna get the frikkin welder from the garage and weld the mofo sunroof closed as i had pretty much concluded: CORRADO's ARE JUST NOT MEANT TO HAVE WORKING SUNROOFS!

After i calmed down, had my cup-a-tea and some biscuits (mmm biscuits...) i thought it must be the motor...maybe its just not got the torque it used to have. So i got myself a late MK3 golf motor (from a low mileage car and known to be working) and slapped it on the mech. Well rub-my-dub-and-tickle-my-nipple, I went to close the roof and it did it with ease :nuts: So after doing this about 20 times and satisfying myself that it worked...that i actually had a fully functional Corrado sunroof... i was overcome with euphoria (and treated myself to some more biscuits! woof woof)

Moral of story - even if your motor seems like it is working as it should, try and borrow a known working one (i.e one that can fully close the sunroof) before ripping everything apart. I am actually not too peeved I went through the process of removing the entire sunroof mech as I know it is all clean and greased up properly. Just not looking forward to trying to get the headining back in as it is in a pretty tatty state. Stupid thing is I will still have that feeling in the back of my mind every time i reach for the sunroof button that my roof will develop some other form of fault! Then i really will get the welder out! Ahh well.. c'est la vie

Good luck peoples...

Hmm yes, the legendary Corrado sunroof!

I'm fairly sure mine has the snapped cable issue as the sunroof panel on slide opens fully but then gets scratched in the centre as it fully opens. Will have to remove the cartridge though and be sure.

However, I thought I'd also give the motor synch operation a go too, and even that didn't quite go to plan. When the motor is disengaged from the sunroof, I can operate the slide function and sure enough, it starts slow, then speeds up for about 4 secs before running slow again. At this point it should stop? Well, no not in my case, the motor runs through the whole cycle again (and again and again if you let it!)

Maybe welding that hole in the roof up will save me all the heartache . . .

Moral of story - even if your motor seems like it is working as it should, try and borrow a known working one (i.e one that can fully close the sunroof) before ripping everything apart. I am actually not too peeved I went through the process of removing the entire sunroof mech as I know it is all clean and greased up properly. Just not looking forward to trying to get the headining back in as it is in a pretty tatty state. Stupid thing is I will still have that feeling in the back of my mind every time i reach for the sunroof button that my roof will develop some other form of fault! Then i really will get the welder out! Ahh well.. c'est la vie

Good luck peoples...

...so let me get this straight:

My sunroof tilts just fine, but has become very slow and a bit shuddery about half way through the slide motion.

I should go and get a known-good (possibly a late spec Mk3) motor and simply slot that in to try it, before mucking about with the mechanism. This is because the original motor can lose its torque, even if it seems to still run in the two speeds.

Yes?

Chris

...so let me get this straight:

My sunroof tilts just fine, but has become very slow and a bit shuddery about half way through the slide motion.

I should go and get a known-good (possibly a late spec Mk3) motor and simply slot that in to try it, before mucking about with the mechanism. This is because the original motor can lose its torque, even if it seems to still run in the two speeds.

Yes?

Chris

Hi, i dont know if its of any help to you guys but i have a pair of late mk3 sunroof motors for sale? if youre interested just drop me a pm.

Thanks

James

I am also having the dreaded sunroof issues. Motor is fubar'd and when i try and open it manually with the allen key it only tilts on the drivers side properly, there is a massive scratch down the passenger side of the top panel, i presume this mean the cable/mechanism on the passenger side is knackered? Does anyone have the part number for the passenger side repair kit?

When you slide, does the motor stop almost immediately?

One thing you can check there first is the motor. Remove the motor cover panel and switch panel. Make sure the roof is parked in it's closed position. Undo the two phillips screws holding the motor to the sunroof frame and wiggle it slightly to disengage the gear drive and then let it hang on it's loom.

Reconnect the switch panel and try "opening the roof". The motor should turn slowly for a second, and then speed up, run for approx 4 seconds, slow down again and then click to a stop.

Close the roof again and you should see the same behaviour. Close the doors and then do a full closure (with the alarm or hold the door key in the locked position for a few seconds) to allow the motor to self align, then pop it back in the frame.

Kev, I had mine out last night again and

1. the roof moves up, back and forward nicely on the allen key

2. the motor moves freely if I use a power supply

3. I got the motor to open the roof perfectly

but observations

A. The motor won't reverse hence wont close (I.e. button clicks and the motor does nothing)

B. If operating the motor (when hanging free from the roof) on the button it goes slow then fast then keeps on going, it has no stop function.

Any ideas?