VR6matty

Vr6matty's VRT... Respray Complete

So it has taken me nearly 4 years but I think it's probably about time to start a members thread about my 94 Aqua Blue Pearl VR6. I have owned the car simce 2006 where I bought it with under 100k on it. It spent the first couple of years in my possession with only minor mods and servicing parts to keep it running along as my daily. First things I got for it were a set of coilovers and inpro rear lights just to get the ride height and asthetics looking a little better.

After someone hit the back end of it and dented the bumper I decided to go for a smoothed rear end while it was being repaired so with no badges and a shiny bum I set about looking for other areas for improvement (did not know what I was getting myself in to!).

It was at this point I started using the forum more and more and in search for a good place to take it I came across stealth racing, who came highly recommended, so I took a trip over and got Vince to give the car a onceover to give me an idea of what needed doing and so began the slippery slope of corrado addiction :) my first mods were to get a miltek system fitted and some decent Ht leads nothing over the top after a few thousand more miles it developed the well known death rattle to which I thought no problem so off it went to stealth again for an inspection and as thought it was chains and tensioners that needed doing :( took this as a good oppourtunity to have the clutch replaced, head refurbed and some sp263's installed, which made a massive improvement! Happy days for roughly a month or so :shock: at which point I noticed during a random oil check that there was nothing on the dip stick so after a couple of litres of oil were put in and a few more miles I checked again only to find it was burning oil in a big way, so another trip to the docs to find out what was up. After the replacement head was removed a compression test was done on the cylinders and 1 and 6 had less than half the expected compression and you could feel the air coming back up through the block :brickwall: so came the big decision what to do next, new engine? nah, new car? Blasphemy never!, engine conversion? Possibly, in the end I decided to get the existing block rebored and new pistons to keep the rebuilt head intact and give the car a new lease of life :D so you would think now things would go my way for a few miles..... Nope so after having run in the new bottom end with lots of slow sub 3k rev driving. I notice every time I am pulling away I am leaving a huge cloud of smoke :censored: what next! After speaking to Vince he suggested that I bring it back as a valve seal may be leaking causing it to smoke. Another trip back and a whole day of Jon's time to transfer the cams and swap the heads over I knew now why they came so highly recommended not many other places would go to these lengths to ensure customer satisfaction in the work they carry out. So renewed engine in and the car has been rock solid ever since :salute:

After all these events it was nice to be able to get the car back and start focusing on the areas that needed looking at sun roof steering rack and brakes all replaced and car is finally getting somewhere.

Ever since I bought the vr I was always keen to get it charged in some sense and I was very close to supercharging it on a couple of occasions but I am glad I held off, after much waiting and deliberation I took the plunge and put my name down for one of stealths long awaited stage one turbo conversions :nuts: so a helix clutch new slave and master, walbro fuel pump and a water injection kit later the car was complete (bar a custom exhaust, oil cooler and rl traction control 8) but I have to have something to look forward to)

Which pretty much brings me up to date I have had the car back 1 week now and has been getting good use daily in very high summer temps but has been faultless and incredible throughout, there is nothing that I have ever driven that compares to it in any way. Off boost it is very responsive and will give most cars a run for their money but when the boost comes in things get a bit fruity and your pockets get emptied, quite literally, I found my phone was the first victim of boost g forces. The sound is something else also. I liken it to a wookie gargling as it is very unique whilst at the same time not being overly loud while just pootling around an excellent compromise.

Sad thing is that as quickly as you get used to driving it you get used to the power and it all seems that little bit less surprising :eek: starting to think I am slightly addicted already......

As for the bodywork of the car this is the next item on the agenda as paint is starting to look v tired and parking dings are getting me down

Pics to follow shortly maybe even a little vid if I can find a brave cameraman :D

Book1.pdfPicture 150.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfIMG00006.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

ETKA Corrado.pdfPicture 153.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfPicture 156.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

Corrado92.pdfPicture 158.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1000454.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1000458.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010688.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

P1010689.jpg[/attachment:25j93jxn]

Edited by VR6matty

I noticed during a random oil check that there was nothing on the dip stick

I check my oil and water every day :lol: You have to really with that much force being blasted into the poor little engine!

Sad thing is that as quickly as you get used to driving it you get used to the power and it all seems that little bit less surprising :eek:

You're on the slippery slope now mate! Next it will be more boost. Followed by bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and even more boost. Followed by an 02M upgrade cause the previous boost smashed the standard gearbox....followed by 4WD....followed by an Advert in the classifieds cause your girlfriend / wife left you :D

Seriously though, welcome to the turbo fold mate :salute:

Nice mate, sounds like youve put a bit of hard earned cahs into the car. What sort of boost are you running?

Thanks, yea it has been hard at times and with most people I know saying "you know what you could have got for that money?!?!" but they don't understand in truth and if I was to go back i would do it all again only better :D

Its running 9 psi at the moment and 335bhp and 310lbft the reason its a bit down on the target power of 360bhp is primarily due to the exhaust being too restrictive as it is a 2"1/4 straight through with the middle silencer removed. The plan is to go back and get the custom 2"1/2 exhaust made up at a later date to free some more power.

Very nice 8) Sounds terrific fun! Tried it in the wet yet?

Did you replace the sunroof and the wife and the same time :wink:

sounds like a right hoot. i really wanna go for a ride in a blower! BUT i know for a fact i would only want to do it and i canny afford it! atm lol.. loan is nearly paid off tho :D

I check my oil and water every day :lol: You have to really with that much force being blasted into the poor little engine!

Yea ever since that day I have checked the oil and water religiously, my neighbours must think I am :cuckoo: bonnet is up more than it is down.

You're on the slippery slope now mate! Next it will be more boost. Followed by bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and even more boost. Followed by an 02M upgrade cause the previous boost smashed the standard gearbox....followed by 4WD....followed by an Advert in the classifieds cause your girlfriend / wife left you :D

I can feel it dragging me in :D and I am not fighting it, the new wife is very understanding though to be fair to her. I am not sure very many women would understand or even encourage this kind of behaviour, i think it is because she has met too many ex-corrado owners and has seen the damage it causes to their families :lol: all those oh I used to have one of those..... Never should have sold it....... stories

Seriously though, welcome to the turbo fold mate :salute:

Thanks very much for the warm welcome mate 8)

I am not sure very many women would understand or even encourage this kind of behaviour, i think it is because she has met too many ex-corrado owners and has seen the damage it causes to their families :lol: all those oh I used to have one of those..... Never should have sold it....... stories

My missus says "What are you looking at that for?" if I so much as look at any car parts on the net :lol: So yeah, you are lucky :D

Mind you, I did have over £10K on my credit card when I met the missus, thanks to my Corrado addiction, which caused quite a few arguments I can tell you!!

Very nice 8) Sounds terrific fun! Tried it in the wet yet?

Did you replace the sunroof and the wife and the same time :wink:

No fun in mine in the wet yet, lots of good traction though mind :) , but i did drive Vince's demo car in the wet and had a whale of a time. I am sure to get bored of wheelspinning my way down the road during winter and get the Racelogic kit installed at some point. It does sound like an excellent bit of kit, think i will have to try it out next time i'm there

Got back from work today and thought i would do some under bonnet tidying up

Old manky engine cover off and rocker cover given a good going over with a wire brush to remove any corrosion

photo.JPG[/attachment:16tricsf]

Much better

Looks great man, stealth. About the money, It could be worse... you could be down the pub every night drinking it :)

Moon roof looks good too nice fit, what car is it taken from?

Looks great man, stealth. About the money, It could be worse... you could be down the pub every night drinking it :)

Moon roof looks good too nice fit, what car is it taken from?

Thanks mate, yea I really love the moonroof it makes the inside feel much airier would definitely recommend one. Mine is off a b3 passat estate I believe need to get a new seal really but only took a couple of hours to fit managed to get it done on my own but it was a bit of a faff would suggest you have a 2nd set of hands if you attempt it.

Out of interest what wastegate and boost controller do Stealth use?

Hi mate, not sure what wastegate they use tbh, there is no markings on it, as for a boost controller they don't fit one as a standard part of the kit but they recommend a digital controller to avoid spiking. Another thing for the wish list :)

Real nice car mate :D

Cheers buddy, needs a bit more work until it's anyway near as nice as half the cars on here but it's a start!

Thanks

sounds like a right hoot. i really wanna go for a ride in a blower! BUT i know for a fact i would only want to do it and i canny afford it! atm lol.. loan is nearly paid off tho :D

Yea it is a good laugh watching the rest of the road in rewind. I know what you mean though it is very addictive/contagious, but if your ever in the area and wanna go out for a spin your more than welcome :wave:

Got round to installing the Trimsport rear strut I bought of here little while back, after a bit of shoving and messing about it's in! Gonna give it a test on the way home tonight and see if i can feel the difference :D

Heading back from woking after a run to the shops I stop to give way at a roundabout to see the car I am giving way to is the brand new mclaren mp4-12c :shock: in the loud orange variety. So we were heading in the same direction from woking towards mclaren hq and the car in front that has been holding us up turns off :D I can hear the Roar and shift down all of a sudden he boots it, in anticipation I am already in 2nd and couldn't resist to see what the vrt could do :nuts: it was a very straight road that runs up to 6 cross roundabout and I am proud to say it didnt get too much ground on the c and we both pulled up at the next roundabout within close succession having covered a fair distance, I don't think that was exactly what he was expecting!

Would have been a different story if it was more of a twisty road. but it Is the first car that I have seen which has outpaced the VRT and not a bad one to start with!

:clap: incredibly awesome machine

Haha I bet he went back to the HQ and said "we need to put more power in this thing, i couldn't lose a 15 year old car!"

Heading back from woking after a run to the shops I stop to give way at a roundabout to see the car I am giving way to is the brand new mclaren mp4-12c :shock: in the loud orange variety. So we were heading in the same direction from woking towards mclaren hq and the car in front that has been holding us up turns off :D I can hear the Roar and shift down all of a sudden he boots it, in anticipation I am already in 2nd and couldn't resist to see what the vrt could do :nuts: it was a very straight road that runs up to 6 cross roundabout and I am proud to say it didnt get too much ground on the c and we both pulled up at the next roundabout within close succession having covered a fair distance, I don't think that was exactly what he was expecting!

Would have been a different story if it was more of a twisty road. but it Is the first car that I have seen which has outpaced the VRT and not a bad one to start with!

:clap: incredibly awesome machine

Oh nice you're in Woking, I'll keep my eyes open as I work there.

Haha I bet he went back to the HQ and said "we need to put more power in this thing, i couldn't lose a 15 year old car!"

:lol: Yea was well funny to pull up next to a 100+k car like that after a blast and look at the driver only to see his look of sheer disappointment, he must have been on a test drive as didn't look like anyone famous, would have loved it if it had turned out to be Jenson or Lewis :D

Oh nice you're in Woking, I'll keep my eyes open as I work there.

Yea I'm just down the road in addlestone but often in the Woking area, shall keep an eye out also.