n3p

Green Storm Turbo - Sold :(

Let me know how you find the alpine sub thinking of getting one, did you manage to find it cheap to buy ?

I'm sure the freshly retrimmed Recaros will ease the pain he feels. ;)

Totally Mark but having had

usage of the both other's may not agree but I can the Konig's for holding you in were second to none whereas the recaro's were a little vague compared too.

That looks fantastic :) Nice way to modernise the centre console on the Corrado!

I really do like where you are going with this, I've been a massive fan of the dash since it was done but these extra bits are putting the icing on the cake..

A lot of positive feedback, which is appreciated - thanks :thumbsup: In case anybody wanted to do this, some info:

Mk4 Golf/Bora stereo cage - 1J2 858 069 E

Mk4 Cup holders - No number at hand, but you want the late type

Heater Controls - apart from moving it down, no modification required. Enough movement for steel cables.

Buy/use a dremel! This will save you a lot of time and preserve your sanity

If I have some time I could do a little guide, but it won't be pretty as there is a lot of cutting and bonding needed.

I didn't know your dash was leather trimmed Nick when I saw it last year at National Day after you started it and I heard the Charger whining that kind of got my attention and never really had a nosey inside shame you missed out on my Konig's as they would have looked right at home in there mate ;)I'm sure like everything else which you have done on this car you will get round to it and it will be a Quality job as before keep it up :thumbleft:

Cheers James, the dashboard was trimmed a couple of years ago. Funnily enough a couple of guys only twigged towards the end of Stanford Hall last year that it was different, so in my mind that's telling me that it doesn't look out of place :) . I did really like the Konigs, and they look to be way more supportive than the Recaros - but Corrado Recaros were always the dream 8)

I'm sure the freshly retrimmed Recaros will ease the pain he feels. ;)

They are getting re-done! Well, the top bit anyway. I'll explain in full when it's all sorted but the short version is that it looks very different to how I dropped them off (leather aside). Annoying to say the least :(

Let me know how you find the alpine sub thinking of getting one, did you manage to find it cheap to buy ?

I got the sub from here - turns out it wasn't the cheapest place but also not the most expensive:

http://www.roadradio.com/Alpine/SWE-815/

So far it is great for me. I'm not one for too much bass so this gives just enough to make music more enjoyable. I suppose it also depends on what you listen to, but what I can tell you is that it compliments Pantera nicely :lol:

---

There's still a couple of things left to sort out for the National Day (ok, well a lot but most won't be attempted until the future) but hopefully I'll get things done in time. The annoying thing is that despite everything I have done, the list of things to do is still as long as it ever was! Maybe next year I'll treat the old heap to a full respray...

Also badly needing a clean. Quick snap at a friend's house:

WP_20140421_006_zpsab81fb4b.jpg

Nick

Looking great Nick, really impressed with the headunit..... almost a bit jealous I've just gone for a new single din unit. Be interested to hear how you get on with the new 6x4's and whether they're a direct swop etc as I need to sort mine at some point.

Also, what tyres are you running on your CH's?

Looking great Nick, really impressed with the headunit..... almost a bit jealous I've just gone for a new single din unit. Be interested to hear how you get on with the new 6x4's and whether they're a direct swop etc as I need to sort mine at some point.

Also, what tyres are you running on your CH's?

There's always time to graft in a double din :) I was initially going to put a flip out head unit in, but didn't really like how it would have looked. The 6x4's are definitely better than the "Mac Audio" ones that were in there (is that factory?), for one I can actually hear something coming from the back now! Those and the 5.25" components I bought are a straight swap (apart from the tweeters, which I have mounted into the 4" speaker plastic in the dashboard, so all hidden).

CHs are on Falken ZE912 205/40/17 but I am thinking of going slightly wider when it's time to change them

Yeah maybe, but I would then need to remove my vdo's and I like having a couple of extra gauges to panic about readings! :lol: I'll look into the 6x4's and some 5.25's as the standards are pretty terrible.

How wide? I've been wondering what to put on mine and I can't decide on whether to go 215/40 or 225/35. The 35 is a very thin sidewall and although it's a closer rolling radius to the original tyres I think a bit more sidewall will aid comfort... and the 215 will offer a bit of arch clearance.

Do you rate the Falken's? I'm looking at the 912's in the 215/40 or the 452's in the 225/35

lol, one of the reasons why I have avoided gauges so far! But I will be fitting the rear view mirror boost gauge soon and an AFR one just as a preemptive.

I was planning on going for the 215/40 setup. As it stands I have a slight stretch on the 205s which (imo) looks nice, but I just think it may be a recipe for disaster when I have all the power on tap! If the 215 offers a little more grip then that would be a bonus :)

I find the falkens to be great in the dry, but a little twitchy in the wet (even pre-turbo). They also stretch nicely which is another reason why I got them (shame on me!). They have certainly lasted a long while and taken a beating - they have been with me through my NA, supercharger and Turbo journey with lots of life left. I will be changing them next time though, and currently torn between Pirelli P Zero Nero and Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Decisions decisions!

climate_zps0d312c10.jpg

This is the kind of look I'm hoping to achieve, only without the OEM headunit. I've just been looking for the right OEM style double din with sat nav in it. Unfortunately, most double dins look ridiculous!

Unfortunately, most double dins look ridiculous!

What you saying? :wave:

I've seen that pic before, looks really good! Wish I had the bottle to attempt a climate control conversion, but I'm pretty lazy :) I did originally want the VW MFD unit from the mk4, but think they are a bit old hat now. Anyway, I think you definitely need to replicate that, but with added cup holder :)

Definitely need the cup holder!

I said MOST double dins look ridiculous, I've also said I like yours :thumbleft:

It's a bit of a shame that the bottom of the centre console tapers in like they do, if they remained squarer for just another inch or so, then this would be so much easier to package!

lol, one of the reasons why I have avoided gauges so far! But I will be fitting the rear view mirror boost gauge soon and an AFR one just as a preemptive.

I was planning on going for the 215/40 setup. As it stands I have a slight stretch on the 205s which (imo) looks nice, but I just think it may be a recipe for disaster when I have all the power on tap! If the 215 offers a little more grip then that would be a bonus :)

I find the falkens to be great in the dry, but a little twitchy in the wet (even pre-turbo). They also stretch nicely which is another reason why I got them (shame on me!). They have certainly lasted a long while and taken a beating - they have been with me through my NA, supercharger and Turbo journey with lots of life left. I will be changing them next time though, and currently torn between Pirelli P Zero Nero and Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Decisions decisions!

Love a nice gauge to worry about! :lol:

I'm currently running 205/40 on my 8J's with a nice stretch but I think on an 8.5J it'll be too much for my liking. Funnily enough I've also been talking to Sean about this as he's got both 205/40 and 225/35 on his (fronts vs rears), and I'd be tempted to go 225 but I think they'll catch on the front.

Decisions indeed. Not a huge amount of choice in those sizes, I'd be going Conti's if I could find some near me or for a good price on the web. Those pilot sport 3's look really good as well.

May have to give them a go :) Which means I can enjoy using the rest of these tyres up :norty:

Unfortunately I couldn't get the pilot's within my budget but my tyre guy is going to do me a set of Falken 914's fitted etc which seem to get very good reviews here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE914.htm so will give them a try. Thanks for the help gentlemen and I'll stop messing up your thread now Nick! :lol:

Great work. I bought the same sub a year or so ago a ec ant fault. Absolute great bit of kit. Think there was a thread I started on here somewhere.

Great work. I bought the same sub a year or so ago a ec ant fault. Absolute great bit of kit. Think there was a thread I started on here somewhere.

It certainly is good for the size, and takes up minimal boot space :)

Just like to clarify that I hadn't goaded any of the above, just cruising along when I'm guessing they wanted to bully an old VW. I'd really like to see how the VR6T compares against some better cars, although in time I'm sure I'll get an opportunity.

Finally did it then Nick? I'm sure there's a similar specced car local to you that you can take on :cool:

Finally did it then Nick? I'm sure there's a similar specced car local to you that you can take on :cool:

Yup, I did mention earlier in the thread but nobody wanted to fit the kit you had for sale! JMR seemed very keen on the phone, but never got back to the email he asked me to send :/

Anyway, bring it on 8)

Couple more pics of the install. Sorry about the general dirtiness. It covers a bit of the screen and a cup blocks one of the vents, but regardless the cup holder is very handy :lol:

before:

DSCN0403-1_zps4ff2eab1.jpg

After:

WP_20140423_002_zps3222d829.jpg

WP_20140425_002_zps03586ba2.jpg

MOT later... fingers crossed!