n3p

Green Storm Turbo - Sold :(

You're telling me! Now i'm really worried about the gearbox!

Vince also sent a comparison against a 500bhp big turbo Audi S3 (in red)...

bhp:

bhp_s3_zps6793001c.jpg

torque:

torque_s3_zps6e123dac.jpg

...insane!

So this means you would destroy the Audi up to around 5000 rpm, with, I assume a significnat weight advantage, so perhaps totally leave it for dust?

Hard to keep up with this thread now! Thanks for the kind words, but all credit must go to Vince & Co as it is their creation. I didn't even give them a target power, I just knew that a Supercharger wasn't for me (I know that a lot of people prefer the more linear power delivery that a charger gives, so each to their own) so I am very surprised!

Craig/ChrisL - Yes, It's a Stealth kit and unfortunately it'll be there for at least another week so I don't have any installation pictures or full spec list yet. From what I gather though, a rough spec list is (not included engine work):

custom 2.5” straight through exhaust/decat

3” downpipe v-band

Schimmel 263 cams

2mm Steel spacer

T04s Turbo – 0.70 cold, 0.68 hot

4” intake with JR air filter

SPA T4 Turbo manifold

38mm wastegate

FMIC

440cc Injectors

ARP Con rod bolts

ARP head studs

Closed loop dump valve

Mocal external oil cooler

Vibratechnics mounts

Dubpower HT leads

Walbro uprated fuel pump

Helix organic clutch

Quaife LSD

Vince map

Probably some other bits I've forgotten

stopping power - Tarox 6 piston 323mm brake kit

fla - I'd like to think so looking at the dyno plots, but in reality it could be very different - he'd have an easier job of putting the power down! Anyway, there's only one way to find out :norty: Hopefully as clumpy says I will surprise a few people!

Nick

Edited by n3p

You would kick its ass on the road. Its area under graph that you want, you have loads more. Just shows that focusing on numbers is not the whole story. Your car makes way more power and torque up until 6krpm, how many times do you get that high on the road and by that time you will have fooked of out of sight.

For example this is another good torque curve. Boosted V6's are the bollocks, hell even F1 have them now......

Edited by coullstar

That is a nice curve! I cannot wait to test this thing and see how it compares to some other cars, especially against a couple of friends cars - An E9X M3 and an upped 335i... going to be interesting!

Hey

buddy, what lsd do you have?

Chris it tell's you up there lad ^^^^^^^^^^^ Quaife :thumbleft:

Love the work nick. What's the engine spec then to cope with that increase in power? I know my charged Vr is very quick so this must be mental. And much faster than an e9x m3, at least in a straight line.

This will be an absolute beast when back on the road! I found that there's not much that can hang with a sorted VRT, and the noise is just incredible.

Looking forward to some clips of it :)

Interested to hear how the 6-pots feel too mate.

Love the work nick. What's the engine spec then to cope with that increase in power? I know my charged Vr is very quick so this must be mental. And much faster than an e9x m3, at least in a straight line.

Cheers! I know Vince has overhauled the gearbox and head, but I'll know the full list when I pick the car up (hopefully next week). I do know that the pistons and rods are stock but ARP head studs and rod bolts are in, as well as a helix organic clutch. I think the engine internals should be alright, gearbox is a bit touch and go - wasn't expecting that level of torque! The LSD should help and I will think about Racelogic TC once my wallet has recovered!

This will be an absolute beast when back on the road! I found that there's not much that can hang with a sorted VRT, and the noise is just incredible.

Looking forward to some clips of it :)

Interested to hear how the 6-pots feel too mate.

Cannot wait to drive it home, and I'll post a full report here once I have :) thanks again for all of your advice earlier - I owe thanks a lot of other people here who answered my endless questions about upping the power! Kev, alex303, buttles, the_dude to name a few

Fantastic figures mate, and glad to hear its finally on the home straight, definitely gonna have to pay uncle Vince a visit to see what magic he can perform on mine now :)

Still undecided about Racelogic really, as it leans the mixture off so much I'm wondering if there are long term effects. Also i think it works alongside the ABS system which is notoriously crap on a Corrado! More research is in order I think.

Cheers Matty, our cars are in safe hands there! Hopefully see you at as how this year.

Thought I'd share something I've been messing around with. I plan to re-do this again with a better gauge and tidier wiring but I wanted to test that it could work. I bought a cheapo digital boost gauge off ebay:

619994caf5115909dfa28a0b4b10beeb_zpsfecf17a6.jpg

I didn't really want to put the gauge in the vent location by the headlight switch, I wanted it more in my periphery. I decided to gut the gauge apart, fudge split the PCBs and join them together using some old PC ribbon cable into the Rae view mirror:

0bd1214460fcef1c01c4a059696e3c0a_zps50b0d6d4.jpg

Etched out the mirror backing using a dremel and fortunately I just about managed to get everything to fit inside the rear view mirror casing :) more importantly though - it works!

28bebd69f2b35b829223d443e07f8010_zpse8c277ce.jpg

76b30e408dd6d19537f30ab7e0b0240c_zpsb82e8475.jpg

The wires need to be a bit stealthier, but I plan to run them up towards the headlining and then taking a long path down the A pillar. On the lookout for a better quality gauge with a nicer colour, but it was a real fiddly job so may use this one for a bit first and see how I get on

Need the car back!

This looks to be a great conversion. I am sure you can't wait to get it back. Those dyno figures are impressive but I am surprised you have not gone for at least uprated conrods. I hope it all goes well and holds together alright. I assume you've got a boost controller on the car, so you can turn things down and reduce the strain on it all. With the recaros in, it'll look great. I love your wheels too. I had them on the B5S4 I recently sold and still miss them. I'd like a set on my Golf. I look forward to seeing this car again soon. Best wishes for the honeymoon period of running in and getting acquainted with the car again. Charlie

Thanks gents, the boost gauge wasn't too hard to make up really but it should look pretty neat once fitted 8) Will update the thread then with a video of it in operation or something.

This looks to be a great conversion. I am sure you can't wait to get it back. Those dyno figures are impressive but I am surprised you have not gone for at least uprated conrods. I hope it all goes well and holds together alright. I assume you've got a boost controller on the car, so you can turn things down and reduce the strain on it all. With the recaros in, it'll look great. I love your wheels too. I had them on the B5S4 I recently sold and still miss them. I'd like a set on my Golf. I look forward to seeing this car again soon. Best wishes for the honeymoon period of running in and getting acquainted with the car again. Charlie

Hi Charlie, It has been a very long wait (4 months) but I suppose with all of this wet weather we've been having it's probably been a blessing in disguise. Everything has been opened up and inspected though - I'm not entirely sure if Vince has changed the rods but I think he'd have mentioned if he did so I am assuming that they and the pistons are standard. I've read on various threads about the internal limits and they all seem to vary - Vince has a lot of experience here though I can only trust that my car is in safe hands, and he has mapped it to what he believes is an ok level (I didn't give him a bhp goal or anything, I was expecting 360bhp as per the kit!). I certainly wasn't expecting that level of power so it is a bit of a concern. I don't think there is a boost controller fitted, but I'll know everything once I get the car back.

I am thinking now that I'll drive it over the spring/summer to see how I get on, and come next winter I will take it in for the next set of jobs (which may include a boost controller if not present, and most likely a gearbox solution - possibly 4WD). I've got loads of other stuff to do before the National Day so my time is very limited and I'm sure Vince's kit will last until then at least! I'm hardly a maniac on the roads either, so I hope a bit of mechanical sympathy will go a long way!

The torque level is crazy though, I have no idea how Vince has managed to get it so high! 432.6lbft :|

Will keep you posted, and hopefully we can have another chinwag at a show this year :) Nick

Just came to this thread now, been busy for a while....

......sweet Jesus.....better get saving for that gearbox now :)

I say that in all seriousness though :( I had an IHI VF34 Octavia VRS (1.8T) that was running 340bhp (Jabba built car) and it shredded 4 gearboxes in 6 years.

Running no where near as much power and torque!

I say that in all seriousness though :( I had an IHI VF34 Octavia VRS (1.8T) that was running 340bhp (Jabba built car) and it shredded 4 gearboxes in 6 years.

Edited by Hofmiester
Duplicate

Should start taking bets :) Boost controller is probably the way forward for now!