Sign in to follow this  
culshaw

Former S3 Owners, opinions?

Hi

I'm looking at getting an S3 and wondered who has owned one and what is your opinion of them? Looking at the 2000 model at the minute. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

This is just my view.

Our lad had a nearly-new one for about a year.

Horrendously expensive if you have to get garage to do everything. I think he had a bill for about £1500 once for tyres all round/Haldex and service.

He had to get rid of it after a year and both he and his wife worked!

Hi

I'm looking at getting an S3 and wondered who has owned one and what is your opinion of them? Looking at the 2000 model at the minute. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

A friend of mine has one around that year and it's pretty uninspiring.

It has a very boring power delivery so much so that we've nicknamed it the Ghost Car, it's pushing 265bhp but makes no sound doing so and leaves you feeling virtually no emotions whatsoever, not really my cup of tea

Hi

A friend of mine has one around that year and it's pretty uninspiring.

It has a very boring power delivery so much so that we've knicknamed it the Ghost Car, it's pushing 265bhp but makes no sound doing so and leaves you feeling virtually no emotions whatsoever, not really my cup of tea

That is spot on. On a positive they are a very luxurious smaller car.

If you want an effortless A to B car then get one. If you enjoy your driving then look elsewhere.

Matt

In standard form they are dull,like my mates car and you can say the same about a corrado,once you have sorted the suspension and roll bars for good upgrades it transforms the car and is very nimble around the twistys and it will leave the corrado for dead...as for boring power delevery...er well... yes it is, but cos of the small turbo delivering all the torque low down...but yet again very tunable to get more out of them.

Oh and all wheel drive in the UK climate is amazing.....yes thats grip on wet roads all year round :lol:

Had a '99 S3. Hard to comment as it was an impluse (stupid) purchase. Looked stunning though. Have only recently being thinking of getting a 2001 Phase 2 S3 next year. So interesting to read this thread :salute:

Good points;

as before, a very luxurious smaller car, nice modern step-up from 'raddo.

understated appearance - but with obvious lean towards performance

quattro is great, very reassuring

the good honest cars will hold value very well

Bad points:

1.8 engine can lack the Brrrrrap of the big guys

found the acceleration very 'hmmmmm', but then on some days she'd fly off :shrug: (again, mine was sh!t)

Phase 1 (99-00) I think, had factory re-call on rear suspension arm link thingy. Mine hadn't been done and collapsed in the driveway one night, thankfully, i suppose. For that reason along I'd steer well clear of any phase 1's. Just IMHO.

pic of my old one.

Had one w-reg with GT28RS in and it was very fast A to B car. Very comfortable on long journeys as well. Took this car from London to Poland having 4 stops for petrol and toilet only and it was a pleasure to drive. Having circa 350bhp it must by fun.

Would I swap Corrado for S3 ?? hmmmm. I did it, I did regret it, now sometimes I regret that I did swap S3 back on Corrado.

Bad points:

1.8 engine can lack the Brrrrrap of the big guys

found the acceleration very 'hmmmmm', but then on some days she'd fly off :shrug: (again, mine was sh!t)

Yeah our Polo is the same, which has the BJX engine and the newest version of the ME7 1.8T management. It has a very inconsistent power, as you say, good one day, poo the next. And my god is that engine rough and unrefined compared to the VR6 :shock:

If I was ever to venture into 1.8T tuning, I would gut all the VW crap off it and standalone it with a big turbo, but to be honest, I think I'd swerve it and go for the current shape S3 instead, which is a MASSIVELY better car than the MK4 based car. It has some steering feel for starters :D

Yea the standard management is full of crap,N249 valve is rubbish,this controls the diverter valve.....that was binned,crappy N75 valves....yet more rubbish,but as for comparing it to MK4 based cars im undecided as there is no MK4 based 1.8t Quattro only 4 motions and R32's so not sure its comparable?

But thats typical stock cars all censored so you cant have to much fun,but put the right parts on and its not the same car.

I'll be honest I quite liked mine. Was a very competent A to B car that did it with next to no fuss. I had decent suspension and a few tweaks to the set up. Was running a revo map as well as R32 brakes. I would have another. Cant really compare it to the Corrado but it as said mine would have walked away from a standard VR easily.

I didnt have any issue other than having to replace the CCT but this more over caution than necessity. I liked the understated way they look as well, much prefer it to an R32.

Here mine

That does look tough 8)

I dunno, I've never really been taken by many Audis, except the old Quattros. The S3 does have all the right ingredients though. Mega strong drivetrain, good build quality and conservative looks. They're a good price these days too. A few words in Bill Brockbank's ear and it'll be pushing 500hp before you know it..... hmmmmm..... quite a tempting prospect! Or drop a 2.8 24V T into one :norty:

Yes, Kev the latter was exactly what i was thinking maybe 18 months after i get bored of lumbering for a bit

So to avoid the phase 1, am i right that the phase 2 was circa 2001 - 2003?

yeah I think the facelifted one started at 2001 and had the chrome effect mirrors and different headlights, plus some other subtle changes. Didn't it also get boosted to 225hp (from 210) to match the TT?

The "phase2" cars has the indicators integrated into the headlight assembly and has a slightly different slam panel and wings from the earlier cars.

They were introduced from 2000 and some of the early 2000-2001 cars still had the 210bhp AMK engines and then went on to the 225bhp BAM coded units that were in the TT.

TBH,theres not a hell of a lot of difference between the two,as the quattro system saps a bit of power anyway,but my god,it was good at gripping the road!

I had a 2001 210bhp model and was chuffed with it to start with.But as has been said,it was a bit dull to drive.

It was a bit like driving a rapid comfy chair.

I traded mine in on a MK5 GTI Edition30 and haven't looked back since. :cheers:

I'm putting my S3 up for sale to get a Corrado, Its an 03, Ming Blue, Genuine RSTT's, BOSE, Sunroof, Factory Lowered, Centre Armrest, Greencotton filter, REVO, Forge 007p (Yellow Spring), Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Disks and Pads, Custom FMIC which makes it about 270ish bhp.

Its a really good car, its fast and really nice to drive but it has no personality thats why i want a Corrado over it.