Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Why late ABS lights?.....

There always seems to be a thread on here about people wanting late ABS lights. It's got me wondering as to why these are so prone to failing (there are very few request for early ABS lights) and whether they can be fixed? Has anyone every taken one apart? I do a bit of electronics and would be happy to take a look if anyone has a broken one.

down to numbers really very few early interior'd Corrado's came with ABS optioned let alone standard,whereas the later interior Corrado's had it as standard

Oh right, so the numbers of these being needed is simply down to the number of vehicles with them. As mine has ABS I assumed it was quite common in the early ones. Still strange how they fail so often though - there's nothing mechanical in there, so it must be an electrical failure.

Mine's still using the same ABS light the car came with when I bought 7.5 years ago and still burning brightly every day :D

I think part of the reason for the demand is down to previous owners breaking the bulbs to disguise an ABS fault.

It would make sense, but do you really think it's a simple as that Kev? Replacing the bulbs isn't a problem though even for someone with basic soldering skills - there was even someone on here a while back selling the right bulbs for that.

Offer still stands folks, if anyone has a broken one you don't need, I'm happy to take a look and see if it's easily fixable.

When i bought my car it had a blank in its place. It managed to pass its first MOT but with my dad being VOSA he nagged me for a full year to get an ABS button i finally caved and hey ho presto plugged it in and light was on. Worst thing i've ever done sorting my ABS light out, it now goes off but i have the most annoying problem in the world, it likes to put the brakes on as im just braking lightly to slow down at about 5mph or put the brake bite point right at the very top as im rolling at about 5-10mph. Problem i need to solve but thats for another thread.

Basically everyone takes them out for one reason or another and they break (i resisted the pun there). The casings are crap so either the front falls off or the stupid clips at the back snap off.

mine has never worked and its never been mentioned at MOT time. I do worry if i ever moved and had to take car somewhere else they might say something about it.

mine has been butchered by someone, bulb cut out, the whole casing falls apart if you take it out

Basically everyone takes them out for one reason or another and they break (i resisted the pun there). The casings are crap so either the front falls off or the stupid clips at the back snap off.

Yeah that's all it is with mine, the clips have broke and it's just falling apart. It's been in a out a few times with various dash jobs I've done like heater matrix etc. AFAIK the light did work but might not now.

It would make sense, but do you really think it's a simple as that Kev? Replacing the bulbs isn't a problem though even for someone with basic soldering skills - there was even someone on here a while back selling the right bulbs for that.

Yep. There is no reason why the ABS lights should fail other than people tampering with them. Dash bulbs are the same wattage and don't blow every other week. People have been doing it for years, but the car can also fail the MOT if the ABS light doesn't come on!

Yep. There is no reason why the ABS lights should fail other than people tampering with them. Dash bulbs are the same wattage and don't blow every other week. People have been doing it for years, but the car can also fail the MOT if the ABS light doesn't come on!

Absolutely - my MOT guy always checks for the light coming on and then going off again a few seconds later to make sure it's all working alright.

People who break the bulbs are putting new owners' lives in danger imo. The ABS ECU does a systems check for a reason and people buying a car expecting the ABS to work could get a nasty shock, or worse, when the brakes lock up.

My light has broken clips and the cover kept falling off. Bit of blue tack sorted it tho, best £1 I ever spent! And you'd never know ....well except the people that read this