Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

Corrados Weight?

Hi guys - Im sure the answer to this question is somewhere on this forum, but i cant find it.

I want to know if any of you can tell me what weight Corrados are. 16v's specifically, but VR6's G60's also.

I used to know, but i've been that long in waiting to buy one that i've forgotten.

Ta for any info

Too much to float and too little to dent a stone wall, why? ;)

VR6 is about 1200kg, 2.0 16v is about 1100 - 1140, earlier cars are very slightly lighter, but only by about 50kg.

Taken from EVO magazine

Corrado VR6 - 1237 kg, other models are not listed tho

slightly :offtopic1: but in the coment about the VR6 it says "Still to be bettered for all-round ability and appeal" they awarded it 5 stars

:D

:?: perhaps some of the earlier models where lighter due to the extras and spec :?:

Taken from EVO magazine

"Still to be bettered for all-round ability and appeal"

Yeh BABY. I was well chuffed when I read that shortly after I bought my vr6 :)

Timo

I think the golf 16v weighs just under 1050kg.

I dont know about any one else but i can realy notice the difference in the throw-ability of the raddo compared to the golf.

haynes say the 8v gti weighs 1003kg.

Where does the extra weight come form?

head is bigger, the front brakes hubs and CVs are bigger, but surely that doesnt amount to 108kg?

Unladen weights (ready for road) seem to vary from source to source but when looking at magazine write ups, look for the words..."Weight as tested" because any number of options could have been ticked, which will naturally up the car's weight.

For weights of 'standard' cars, take the VW manual as read.

I would say Hayne's estimation of 1003Kg for a MK2 GTi is just that, an estimation. There's no way the 16V is 108Kg heavier!!

Looking at the book i have it says golf mk2 16v 3 door weighs 960kg and the 8v is 920kg. As for corrado's VR6 - 1240kg, G60 - 1115kg, 16v - 1100kg . all these are typical unladen weight's.

At last - a thread where I can actually add something and know what I'm talking about!

Weighed my VR6 on newly calibrated weighbridge last year

1220kg with quarter tank of fuel and 17" alloys (probably a touch heavier than Speedlines?) so I'd say 1210 standard is spot on.

Mk2 Golf with a VR in the engine bay weighs 1180kg (if anyone's interested)

Me without a car came in at 85kg so perhaps the bridge was over-reading :?

i'll have to try it out on my bro-in-laws recently calibrated weighbridge too.........funnily enough had a wee discussion just this weekend about weighing motors on it.........as dub16 is wanting his polo weighed sometime soon......anyway my bro-in-law told me that his 'bridge is only accurate to the nearest 20kg's......though IIRC i'm sure it goes up in 5kg increments :? :? :?

i'll move this into common corrado questions too :wink:

Just think about this - a MkI Golf GTI is about 830kg... A Corrado VR6 around 1230kg... an R32 around 1410kg

Guess it's progress eh?

I'd give it less than 5 years before the "Golf" hits 2000kg... :|

It's safety gone mad... Put extra strength here, and there, and there and there, and... IT'S A TANK!!!! :roll: :wink: :lol: Oh, and it's clad in soft plastic in case you hit a pedestrian... :roll:

THE Golf (ie the MKI) has more in common with today's LUPO than today's (MK IV / V) Golf... Compare the sizes and it'll scare you how close they are... The current Golf is bigger than the size a Passat hatchback would have been when the MKI was around! :|

Bigger is not always better IMHO... :?

I think you may find that a new Lupo GTi is something like 980Kg. Still a lot more than a MkI GTi and not a lot less than a MkII !

Just think about this - a MkI Golf GTI is about 830kg... A Corrado VR6 around 1230kg... an R32 around 1410kg

Guess it's progress eh?

My old Pug 205 GTi 1.9 was around 860kg IIRC - one of the reasons they're so nippy, but it also felt flimsy in a "made out of old coke cans" way, and "Don't want to have a serious crash in one" sort of feeling... :shock: