Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Excellent like that :lol: Let's them know you are someone who know's a little about the issue, put's them in the back foot :thumbleft:

If you find any rust on the arches, I have a copy of the VW doc that details the rework, I left it on the dash when I took mine in for the assessment

Please put that up please.

That's very nice indeed. I love the Ed30's and almost bought a Pirelli edition (similar to Ed30 but with funky seats) before the mk6. It sounds like it may already have been mapped as my mk6 (with almost the same power as an Ed30) feels quick but not savage like you describe.

As well as the front wheel arches watch for rust on the boot lid. Shocking build quality by VAG really. But lovely cars to drive and you should even have a free bottle opener with it :D

Very nice, Kev 8) This is definitely something I will be looking at when the S3 gets a bit long in the tooth. Do you know if it's been mapped?

Yeah mine has wing rust too :lol:

It's only just started. No bubbling, but the paint is starting to bulge just on the lip underneath. Black paint in a dark wheel arch, it was impossible to see on the day I looked at the car. I'll have a word with my dealer and see what the score is. Half tempted to sort it myself as it's so minor and avoid the inevitable sub-standard work dealers are known for.

Maintenance wise, it's the same as MK4 really, so dead easy and tonnes of after market parts and support :)

Had a good chat with Stealth and exciting times lay ahead. If it has got a reflash map in it, one of Vince's custom maps will better it significantly in terms of power and drivability. Ordered a few bits to keep me amused at the weekend. Updated breather and dump valve etc (OEM parts) and a Whiteline anti-lift kit.

Wing rust inspected by my local dealer today. As you can see in the pic, it really is slight. I said I'd prefer a repair as it's so minor, but apparently it's down to the bodyshop to decide.

After what I've read on forums about VW making all the excuses under the sun, today's experience was very pleasant and friendly. I think it boils down to - people are with you the way you are to them. Go in banging tables and shouting, you will get zero help.

The guy paint depth tested the whole car and it's all factory thickness (around 130 microns), which is great - no accidents :) This will almost guarantee an approved repair. For those who don't know why they measure the paint depth, it's to make sure the car hasn't been in accident. The rust could be caused by substandard repair work and won't be covered by the 12 year warranty. Only a robot can get paint that thin, so if they see ~ 400 microns paint depth, they know it's been in a prang.

You guys should consider dropping your arch liners and cleaning out the build-up from the scuttle drains. It affects most VAGs. Prevention is better than the cure :)

I data logged the ECU and it's running 1.2 - 1.3 bar of boost. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on how much boost a stock ED30 runs, but it varies from 0.8 to 1.2 bar, depending on who you ask!. Vince said he will be able to tell if it's mapped or not, but either way it's getting a full custom map on the 3rd Oct. I shall report my findings.

Whilst I'm there I'm getting a Vibratechnics dog bone fitted and a Whiteline anti-lift kit because VW and bushings / engine mounts is a long history of shatness. The MK5 is EVEN worse than a MK4 in that respect.

Wing rust inspected by my local dealer today. As you can see in the pic, it really is slight. I said I'd prefer a repair as it's so minor, but apparently it's down to the bodyshop to decide.

After what I've read on forums about VW making all the excuses under the sun, today's experience was very pleasant and friendly. I think it boils down to - people are with you the way you are to them. Go in banging tables and shouting, you will get zero help.

The guy paint depth tested the whole car and it's all factory thickness (around 130 microns), which is great - no accidents :) This will almost guarantee an approved repair. For those who don't know why they measure the paint depth, it's to make sure the car hasn't been in accident. The rust could be caused by substandard repair work and won't be covered by the 12 year warranty. Only a robot can get paint that thin, so if they see ~ 400 microns paint depth, they know it's been in a prang.

You guys should consider dropping your arch liners and cleaning out the build-up from the scuttle drains. It affects most VAGs. Prevention is better than the cure :)

I data logged the ECU and it's running 1.2 - 1.3 bar of boost. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on how much boost a stock ED30 runs, but it varies from 0.8 to 1.2 bar, depending on who you ask!. Vince said he will be able to tell if it's mapped or not, but either way it's getting a full custom map on the 3rd Oct. I shall report my findings.

Whilst I'm there I'm getting a Vibratechnics dog bone fitted and a Whiteline anti-lift kit because VW and bushings / engine mounts is a long history of shatness. The MK5 is EVEN worse than a MK4 in that respect.

I've had MK3s and MK4s that have rotted there wings inside out behind that spongy / foam arch strengthener (they're always **** wet through), you'd think VW would learn or try something different to add strength at the 12 o'clock position in the arch.

I'd put them in the bin personally

W be covered by the 12 year warranty.

Is it 12 years?? I thought it was 10, but if its 12, thats great, I have a couple of scabs come through on my door and quater

Yep, 12 years on MK5s, 10 years on MK4s.

They are quite specific about their 'anti perforation' warranty though. It's only covered if the rust comes from the other side due to a manufacturing defect. If the rust is caused by scratches, stone chips, dents or abrasion, it will likely go 50/50 as a 'goodwill' gesture. VW tried to get out the wing rust claims by saying the foam rubbing was a 'mechanical defect' and only covered under the 3 year warranty, but that is absolute horse schitt as there is nothing customers could have done to prevent such a design flaw from happening.

Is that what the foam is for? Strengthening? I thought it was a damper or something to stop it vibrating around in the wind?

Yep, 12 years on MK5s, 10 years on MK4s.

They are quite specific about their 'anti perforation' warranty though. It's only covered if the rust comes from the other side due to a manufacturing defect. If the rust is caused by scratches, stone chips, dents or abrasion, it will likely go 50/50 as a 'goodwill' gesture. VW tried to get out the wing rust claims by saying the foam rubbing was a 'mechanical defect' and only covered under the 3 year warranty, but that is absolute horse schitt as there is nothing customers could have done to prevent such a design flaw from happening.

Is that what the foam is for? Strengthening? I thought it was a damper or something to stop it vibrating around in the wind?

I don't know, I presumed it help prevent the arch being pushed in, fixing at the top edge under the bonnet edge, front behind the bumper, rear on the sill and the edge of the arch so leaving the 12 0'clock on the arch area vulnerable? I thought under the wings was a pressure area, the sponge wouldn't stop the arch bulging out as its just wedged in place?

I was thinking more of an annoying resonance transmitted into the cabin, which the foam would damp out. Dunno, just a theory. Either way, they'll get trimmed back in accordance with VAG's bulletin.

In other news, last night I tackled 3 of the TFSI engine's common problems. The PCV breather, the high pressure fuel pump's cam follower and the recirc valve.

I caught the cam follower just in time (old one on the left, new one on the right). When the black coating wears off, it can really start to chew the cam lobe up, and that's an expensive repair. My cam looks in fine fettle.

The MK5 was another step up from the MK4 in terms of cost savings, as shown by the combined Engine cover / air filter / MAF! Bloody cheap skates!

Lol, we bought an 06 Skoda VRS TFSI estate a few months back for her and I had these things lined up before we had the car. Thats quite a bit of wear on the cam follower. Maybe suggests it is mapped then as ours was barely marked after 60k miles?

Wow - the engine cover is the air intake. That's a new one on me! Out of curiosity Kev, whilst it's clearly made to more of a budget than say the venerable VR6, are you finding the motor easier / quicker to work on or is the VR better in that respect too?

The picture makes it look worse than it is. It's far less worn than VAG deem to be normal, see page 8 - http://www.goapr.co.uk/support/fsi_fuelpump_installation.pdf

Mine's on 80K so would have more wear than yours. Some folk in American with 100K+ have no follower left at all and the pump plunger runs directly onto the cam, wearing that away as well!

Wow - the engine cover is the air intake. That's a new one on me! Out of curiosity Kev, whilst it's clearly made to more of a budget than say the venerable VR6, are you finding the motor easier / quicker to work on or is the VR better in that respect too?

Definitely Jim. The space available and being able to get at most things without taking the front end off is very welcome after a VR6 / R32!

Car booked into VW for a cambelt change on Monday. I know what you're thinking (and I'm dreading it tbh) but they've got a deal on at the moment, £349 inc water pump. All OEM parts and a stamp in the book. Normally £499 on this engine. I can't be arsed to do it myself for that kind of money and I know I don't normally give a rat's about stamps in the book, but on a car like this, I needed an attitude adjustment in case I sell it on :)

In other news, the engine appeared to have a Revo Stage 1 on it. I found this out by accident after I replaced the battery and it felt slow(er). Did some data logging and the boost request has dropped to 1 bar, but according to the MAF logs, that's still 260ish hp!! What a bonkers little engine!!

For some reason Revo maps get deactivated when you disconnect the battery. Must be some kind of copyright protection mechanism. You can re-enable it again at a Revo dealer or an SPS switch (I haven't got one), but it's getting a proper map on the 3rd anyway.

You guys really should stick one of these motors in your Corrado!

Is the ed30 engine basically a mapped GTi unit or a detuned S3 engine kev?

Detuned S3 engine chap.

ED30 / S3 engine has the following upgrades compared to standard GTI engine:-

Larger K04 turbo

13% larger injectors

Bigger piston wrist pins (21mm versus 19mm)

Stronger rod bearings

Main bearing pedestals reinforced

87 deg thermostat instead of 80 deg

Different piston rings

Bigger intercooler

Remote dump valve

221lbft torque from 2200rpm to 6000ish with stock boost pressure.

For reference an R32 makes 236lbft from 2800-3300ish rpm

Nice new car Kev, I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'd like to replace the Mk5 GT tdi with a Gti. Looks great in black with tartan.

I really like the combined engine cover/filter MAF, why have three components when one will do a more reliable job with less air leak potential?

So is the wing issue on all Mk5's? Mines a 58 plate but is due to go for a new door skin on Tuesday because someone reversed into my door when parked! I don't want that repair (blended into front wing) to affect the warranty. (it's a ford dealership doing the repair)

I need to stop reading this now. Before buying mine back I was going to go for an S3 but the lure of the V6 won over..... Having bad thoughts again! :lol:

Looking good though mate, interesting to see how you get on at stealth.

Defo need to get a GTi/ED30 or S3 next year………..VR will have to make way tho……….

Had sell my 8L couple of years ago for house move! Favourite colour with custom code remap……….gutted!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79793[/ATTACH]

Nice new car Kev, I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'd like to replace the Mk5 GT tdi with a Gti. Looks great in black with tartan.

I really like the combined engine cover/filter MAF, why have three components when one will do a more reliable job with less air leak potential?

So is the wing issue on all Mk5's? Mines a 58 plate but is due to go for a new door skin on Tuesday because someone reversed into my door when parked! I don't want that repair (blended into front wing) to affect the warranty. (it's a ford dealership doing the repair)

Cheers Kip. Agreed, black or Grey are the best colours :)

Yeah the combined engine cover / airbox / MAF is a neat idea but it's a source of great anxiety among dealers and enthusiasts :D It's very easy to break when lifting it off the engine. The 4 rubber grommets grip onto the pegs on the engine like Barnacles. There is a knack to getting it off without snapping it, but it's a £300 bill apparently, if you do!

My only reservation with it is the air filter sits directly above the turbo, so it's not great for air density in slow moving traffic.

Yep, rust affects all MK5s. Probably a good idea to avoid the blending but you'll need to explain the door as the paint will be way thicker than 130 microns after repair. They paint depth check the whole car except the rear.

Rather handily, the outer door skins unbolt on MK5s. No need to remove the door for painting. It does make DIY work slightly more interesting if you replace door lock modules and window regulators etc. There is nothing behind the door card but steel!

I need to stop reading this now. Before buying mine back I was going to go for an S3 but the lure of the V6 won over..... Having bad thoughts again! :lol:

Looking good though mate, interesting to see how you get on at stealth.

Were you looking at an 8P S3? Beautifully made but not as nice to drive as a GTI imo. The suspension is a lot harder and the car never feels settled as a result. The GTI just glides from corner to corner, never flustered by bumps and lumps. The K04 engine's lack of torque below 2500ish rpm is even more pronounced in the S3 because of it's extra weight. The GTI is a lot more fun and just feels immediately right the moment the wheels start turning :D

Defo need to get a GTi/ED30 or S3 next year………..VR will have to make way tho……….

Had sell my 8L couple of years ago for house move! Favourite colour with custom code remap……….gutted!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79793[/ATTACH]

It happens to us all mate!

GTI or ED30, but nice! If you like modding, I would get the ED30 because the GTI gets real expensive past 250ish hp as it has a weaker engine and smaller turbo.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I don't know, I presumed it help prevent the arch being pushed in, fixing at the top edge under the bonnet edge, front behind the bumper, rear on the sill and the edge of the arch so leaving the 12 0'clock on the arch area vulnerable? I thought under the wings was a pressure area, the sponge wouldn't stop the arch bulging out as its just wedged in place?

If you look at the bulletin it says mainly diesels affected, I'm pretty sure this is part of the noise-damping additions for diesel vehicles + obviously a few other models, like the extended foam covered undertrays, it's definitely described as a 'sound absorber for wheel housing' on the parts lists and only for 'TDI' in the 2003 parts list. I'll check but I'm sure my 1.6 doesn't have them.

Out of interest the 2 door cars seem to have more of these in the rear, one in a similar position listed as C-pillar to wheel housing, hopefully these don't rub!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79794[/ATTACH]