Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDave

Superlative 80's engineering.........

I've just watched this and think I'm going to trade in the VRT for one...... :lol:

[youtube:2f4o9duv]wzs3zA1Eqe0[/youtube:2f4o9duv]

PMSL !

you could see him fighting the old barge round the bends on the circuit, awesome build quality too,

my dad had an estate for a while, they were basically a morris marina underneath 8)

having said that, silverstone racing school used to have a fleet of them as their training cars :shrug:

Pretty sure if I fitted a set of wheels to my sofa it would handle better than a Montego!

:lol:

And in not too many years there will be a forum somewhere with a video of "performance" corrodes getting the Mick took out of them too.

I had one when i was 20..Used to love old skool MG's...went like hot sh*t off a shiney shovel. loved it but i sold it to buy a cavalier GSI 16v which obliterated it in terms of performance and top end!!

I had one when i was 20..Used to love old skool MG's...went like hot sh*t off a shiney shovel. loved it but i sold it to buy a cavalier GSI 16v which obliterated it in terms of performance and top end!!

All very well, but neither would go round corners :)

My mate had one when were were much younger. It was an utter piece of crap really and wasn't even that quick. The sunroof panel flew out and disappeared while we were driving along at about 70mph one day. It was one in a long line of crap cars he owned, with the Renault Fuego Turbo being at the top of the list of shite.

All very well, but neither would go round corners :)

I never had any issues with the handling of the Cavalier GSi. In fact, I'd even say it was a pretty decent-handling car even by today's standards. Certainly not deserving of a Montego comparison anyway.

I never had any issues with the handling of the Cavalier GSi. In fact, I'd even say it was a pretty decent-handling car even by today's standards. Certainly not deserving of a Montego comparison anyway.

Neither did I. :nono: Maybe you misunderstood. read it again.. I meant the GSI was much better in its handling and performance. 127 mph top end of the monty is no comparison to the 140 mph of the GSI!!

:clap:

My mum had an old MG when I was a nipper but one day my brother spilt his drink in it.....

Next morning all there was left was a pile of rust and a damp velour interior...... :( :(

My mum had an old MG when I was a nipper but one day my brother spilt his drink in it.....

Next morning all there was left was a pile of rust and a damp velour interior...... :( :(

:lol:

LOL i still think it was alright for the time it came out, i mean it was about 1985 and there wasn't many things in the same class that were better, i think it dated pretty quick though.

Just looking at the amount of traffic in London, looks empty by todays standard!

When I was 17 and had just passed my test I was able to drive my Dad's black MG Montego and the car was awesome :lol: . It took me another 7 years to appreciate what a proper car was - VWs and Audis have been with me ever since.

Neither did I. :nono: Maybe you misunderstood. read it again.. I meant the GSI was much better in its handling and performance. 127 mph top end of the monty is no comparison to the 140 mph of the GSI!!

:clap:

I understood your post perfectly. It wasn't you I was replying to.

The Cavalier GSi is certainly one of the cars that reminds me of good times in the '90s.

My best mate's dad at school had a new MG Montego and I absolutley loved it.......but I was only 8 !!

I preferred it and my other friends dads Nissan Bluebird to my old mans 635i :lol: .....oh dear, the grass was always greener at that age :brickwall:

haha have any of you seen the SOTW thread on Pistonheads.... some equally funny comments in there.

My dad had a montego estate on demo and the only positive thing about it was the rear seats in the boot which as i kid i thought were cool but im so glad he got a cavalier SRI130 instead, a much better car.

dave

The views of London are hilarious! Was it EVER that empty??

Tell me about it!

The ironic thing is when we were younger my family had old slower cars and the roads were clear, now we have faster cars but the roads are more congested so it takes the same time to cross London!