MikLSP

VR6 Badges

I know these are discontinued from VW but was wondering if anyone knows of a reliable source for good replicas?

I keep looking on ebay for the odd original which pops up but most seem to be from Golfs rather than Corrados. The front one from the Golf is much bigger, not sure if the rear is any different...maybe someone can tell me?

Mik

Thanks for the info, they look pretty good and the price isn't all that bad really.

I take it there's nowhere to get red ones?

Get a shabby s/hand one and paint it! I think Tornado red is about the right shade.

Thing is though, given these badges are obsolete and seeing how much they go for on ebay, is it worth the risk of some tea leaf walking off with it and potentially scratching the paint in the process?

Yeah I was considering painting one, should turn out ok as long as the edges are well masked.

I wouldn't expect to have badges stolen from the places I leave my car but either way I'd rather have them on there than put up with none in fear. I guess if we did that with everything we wouldn't run the risk of having a nice car at all ;)

i think the finsish is hard to replicate exactly as they are a brushed metal effect, and its a special process in which to make them like that.the rear ones are jsut chrome i think and the front ones have a brusheed effect.

Why havent anyone tryed to replicate these?

Would love to buy a new VR6 badge, and not the Golf 3 model one!

Why havent anyone tryed to replicate these?

Would love to buy a new VR6 badge, and not the Golf 3 model one!

ARZ Tuning do them but they are quite expensive to say the least. I don't know how close they are to the real thing but the pictures look good.

I think it's the same sort of problem with the Corrado badges in that sort of brushed chrome too.. it's not just the brushed chrome effect which is hard to replicate, but also the way it's only the top of the badge that's brushed. The surrounds and the insides of the letters (like in an O) are not painted.

Feck knows how you'd replicate that!

Trimsport could do it... if they could be bothered! :lol: Don't think the ARZ ones are that expensive. Their grille badge is cheaper than you would have to pay for a secondhand one on Ebay.

Thread revival

I have recently been looking at refurbishing/replacing a chrome Corrado script badge. I have found an airbrush painter who is going to have a play at reproducing the finish using a standard primed badge. He is also confident that he could do it with one of the ARZ chromed items.

From post #13, Trimsport are not interested. The husband died two years ago and his widow (Pam) who is 81 is shortly to move. The business is winding down. However, she very kindly did provide me with the details of her suppliers. This appears to have been a cottage industry and it looks like they were able to produce badges of a similar finish (see below). I have the address in Leicester, but no phone number and cannot find a number on the Interweb.

If there is someone from Leicester who could assist me with finding a telephone number for a business in the LE4 area, could they please PM me? I will then talk with the Supplier and see what can be done to produce some replacement chromed 'Corrado' badges.

Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47899[/ATTACH]

I've seen a German company do metal polished stainless steel, corrado badges on e bay. Will see if I can find it again.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Do a search on e bay for corrado badge, can't seem to add the link on here.

My Corrado has both the chromed script rear badge and grille badge in good condition. I'd be willing temporarily donate both for comparison, etc provided they were returned undamaged!

And similarly I'd be quite keen to buy some of the reproduction items once done!

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Regarding the company name could you just post their details up and we can all have a punt at finding who they are, and locating their info..

I've got an original vr6 grill badge somewhere in my garage If anyone's interested?

I'll have it if it's still in one peice and clips into the grill OK? :D

Just a quick update and thanks for the responses.

VAG-hag: Indeed. And that Trimsport is about to cease trading.

Jim: it's a private house address with an ex-directory number (cottage industry), so I am reluctant to post it. I have sent a letter to the address today; let's see. Thanks for the offer of an example. Will let you know if/when a badge is needed.

Aust: ARZ (the german company) do a chromed version. But as it also looks like they do a replacement brushed chrome 16v badge http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4658_16V-Brushed-Aluminum-Grlll-Badge---VW-Corrado.html, I'll speak with them to see if they can do a brushed chrome script badge.

I dropped off a scabby script badge and a VW primed one with the painter today; let's see how he does. Scary place mind you. It's a hard core custom bike 'shop in the back of beyond, full of very hard looking, shaven headed men covered in 'tats and piercings, and smoking monster joints whilst scowling and growling :puppydogeyes:.

It seems that the Vortex gang spoke with VW a couple of years ago to have the 'SLC' badge remanufactured and that it was doable, but for a minimum 500 piece order. I'll email VW Heritage and see if they can help at all.

Any other bright ideas? Anyone know of any badge manufacturers?

Cheers,

Another update

The letter found its mark and have had a long conversation with the ex-Trimsport supplier. Turns out that much of his previous success (producing the replacement rear Storm badges, for example) was because he had free access to injection moulding tooling (his father). He estimates that the tooling cost for injection moulding of the script badge would be about £500. Then there would be the cost of producing the finish on the badges, which is technically called ' foil blocking'. A metal foil is applied to the flat surface of the badge using the right combination of pressure and heat. Typically it takes about 6-7 goes to get this right. Also, the correct foil has to be used for the plastic. Original VW badges were in ABS but the replacement ones in styrene.

To cut out the tooling costs, we discussed the possibility of using the VW script badges which come primed. These would have to be prepared by removal of all the primer. Same issue with re-foiling existing badges; they would need stripping back to prepare them. But, all this is do-able.

The final hurdle is finding someone who is interested in doing the foil blocking of a small number of badges. And this could well be the sticking point, as this tends to be a large production run process. I have been given the details for a firm in Leicester who might be able to help. I'll speak with them and see where we get.

As an alternative:

- my painter has the chrome paint I bought (not cheap) and is on with seeing what he can achieve.

- I emailed VW Heritage but have not had any response as yet. Same with ARZ; no response.

If anyone knows of any firms which do foil blocking of plastics, don't be shy - speak up!

Appreciate your efforts into this mate! Fingers crossed we can get all the suppliers in place to get a run of badges done..

Thanks for all your work. Even if it comes to nothing it's a useful bit of detail to have for the future.

Does anyone know of other Corrado clubs in other countries that may want to come in with a group buy? It might be the only way to get the average unit price low enough.