volksworld13

volksworld13 lemons transplant begins christmas eve!!

nugget is now in the garage, both drive shafts out manifold, metering head off, coolant hoses swaped over, looking good so far for 4 hrs work me and the old git. manifold was a bitch, completely seized on, some red knuckles and swearing late its off. boxing day , engine complety out, and new in.passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfCIMG0652.JPG[/attachment:1zseom3k]

liking the garage there buddy and picking the best time of year to be working outside.

hope you have a heater in there

flipping heck that seems an age but looking at it it would have passed so quickly :(

Been collecting parts for my engine build for over 2 years and doesnt seem that long ago I bought the car

hope it goes well

ok, engine is now out on the deck, parts stripped cleaned and installed on the new engine. here some pics of the old engine , clutch and rad support which are all knackered, and some of the new replacement parts.

replacement rad support and cross member, old one completely rotten.

engine bay will be completely degreased 2moro, drive shafts back in and wheels on, wheel it outside , the engine bay should look nice and shiny after, will get some pics of b4 and after.

well im knackered its been all go this last 4 days,getting as much work done on the nugget before i go back to work.

so far gearbox steam cleaned de-greased and acid cleaned to remove all dirt.

engine and box mounted together , new starter installed.climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfCIMG0686.JPG[/attachment:11zs1jt1]CIMG0685.JPG[/attachment:11zs1jt1]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCIMG0684.JPG[/attachment:11zs1jt1]

engine bay fully degreased,new rack pipes fitted.

hthe battery tray is completly rotten, as you can see in the pics lots of holes.so one has tryed stopping the rust with some off yellow paint, in the hope it would slow the rusting process.nice one!!

just need pas fluid and down pipe gasket .

i rung tps this morning and ordered.

ignition switch

2 front disc backing shileds

2 bottles of power steering fluid

fuel filter

downpipe gasket

2 boxes of latex gloves

new banjo bolts for fuel filter.

fuel filter is now obsolete from vw , ordered from another motor factor.

engine oil in, coolant in, electrics all pluged in, battery in ! driveshafts in, bled clutch. alot of cranking and no firing, traced prob to retarded ignition timing a little tweak and its running hooray!, so glad it finnaly started.

still need to sort ignition timing and cold start problem, think no5 injector.

coolant guage inop, suspect cluster, checked switch, need you check wiring to confirm,

cant believe its running again after 4 years, felt good to hear it start up.

now i have to sort out the battery tray, ive got a new tray to weld in,.after this ican refit the slam panel and bonnet.

BUSY.

I would say you will be glad to get back to work for a rest.

to be honest ive been working like a slave, 9-9 most nights, not much food either, but this is the best way, it will get done in no time.!

the pictures of my old man by the way, in case any of you thought i was that old!!

most of these pics were from a few days ago, just been so busy working on the nugget obviously

any way, yesterday and today, ive been cutting all of the rotten metal work out of the battery tray. this is the bit a really enjoy.

a bit of artistic fabrication. thanks to cazzavr aka andy, sorted me out on a battery tray.

angle grinder out, welder out.get the battery tray finished tommorow and fully repainted

new battery tray welded in, i have drilled the old spot weld on the new tray, and plan to use these and put weld over them to retain strength and correct fixing, through the midle of the tray.

all welds smoothed off, im trying to retain the original look not, beads of welds every where, even though you wont see it as the battery and washer bottle will be covering most of it.

inner arch cleaned out, and tray degreased for zinc etch primer.

preping for zinc primer, re-wrapped loom battery side of loom, the old loom insulation was completly missing rotten off over the last 20yrs. all nice and tidy now,

jenolite rust inhibiter applied first followed by zinc 182 antirust primer .

thats all for now

tommorow, nugget yellow paint for the battery tray. not long b4 i can give it a spin down the road see what it drives like,

loads more work done, unable to upload pics , just borrowing a computer.

to date.

i removed the sump to replaced with one that wasent dented, and noted swarf in ther oil!!!! :( :(

on further inspection/diagnosis , found big end shells worn out, crankshaft ok, no scores or damage, new vag big end bearings replaced, new sump gasket, oil and filter, removed and replaced oil pump, with a known good one. as the pump had picked slight scores, cleaned all, and reassembled, sump magnet installed.

bit depressing to find this, but the engine is super smooth and quite now and i know these are known for shell faliure. it would of damaged the crank if run up any longer, will keep an eye on the oil light. if needs be crank out for a regrind!

front and rear backing plates replaced

gearbox oil replaced

battery tray seam sealed /gravitexed and painted pics to follow.

battery tray all finished, and sealed up with 4 coats. battery in , earth points cleaned.

new big end shells installed, sump cleaned out, oil pump replaced.

new back plates front and rear. pic of the old oil pump.new brake bias valve fitted.100 quid from vw.!!pics to follow

dad wants new rear discs and pads, even though these ones were cleaned and are serviceble, money to burn!!

but its gonna be awsome when its finished, the plan is to get it all wrapped up in 2 weeks time, rear arches need welding up, and alittle peice on the sill, and thats it. ready for mot!!

jobs left ;-

welding

rear discs and pads

gearbox oil change

gearlinkage needs adjusting

ignition timing needs adjusting

fuel/air mixture needs adjusting on gas analyser.

instrument cluster , coolant and oil guage needs replacing and checking

new 3 pin rad fan switch

new rad fan

few nuts bolts and screws.

this is so far, no doubt there will be a whole lot more.

rear discs and pads done new carrier allen bolts,as these are prone to seizing and rounding.

gear linkage adjusted ,transmission oil replaced.