domwells27

Windows constantly misting up

Ok, so now its getting damper and colder I've noticed my rado has an annoying habit of misting up its windows. It doesn't seem to be just your regular misting like you would expect, it seems to be much worse. The windscreen is wet to the touch, not just misty. Same for the rear screen, so much that the heater can't shift it as its actual water droplets!!

This doesn't sound normal does it? Not looking forward to winter as i'll end up with ice on the inside of the screen!!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dom

Not checked just yet. I know the heater matrix was replaced in winter 2008 by the previous owner, after it failed. Hopefully hasn't gone again, its not loosing any coolant. Maybe there's still some moisture in the carpets from then?

check that plastic cover under the bonnet,the 1 that covers the heater vent.my carpet used to get wet and it was that.ive fitted a swg panel now

It's possible there is still damp in the carpet, also try checking the rain tray and make sure the drain holes are not blocked, this could allow the rain tray to fill slightly. This in turn could leak a small amount of rain water around where the heater motor grill is which would run under the carpet and would not necessarily be noticeable. These seals are available for a couple of quid from the stealership (someone correct me if i'm wrong as I got 2 about a year ago) so well worth replacing.

Mine was the sunroof drains that were blocked and in heavy rain got a tiny bit of damp in and the car misted up like a good un....

check the sound proofin, under the carpet as well , once its wet it stays wet ! smells rank n all . have you checked the air intake thingy for air circulation in the car :lol: christ i cant remember the name of it !. below the windscreen by scuttle panel. if they get full up with crap around em they will overflow and water will come into the car ,hence condensation in the car .

Just stumbled across this on the wiki:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/changing_heater_scuttle_foliage_cover_seal.html

Sounds like similar symptoms to mine, including a rattly heater blower motor. Looks like this could be part/all of the problem.

How difficult is it to replace the foliage seal out of interest?

Also what's the best way of drying out the damp carpets? Is it a carpet out jobby, or can I do it in situe.

It's an easy 10 minute job, one clip to undo, take the cover out, remove old seal from cover, clean up area and the new seals have a sticky backing so just stick in place and refit.

yes its carpet out mate ,and sound proofing ,hang the soundproofing up to dry ,bung the carpet in the washin machine [understandin mrs ? :lol: ] .i took the grill off cleaned the leaves n crap out , clean the grill and the part of the bay where it sits . then used black mastic to bed it back down again and give it a nice seal.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll get onto the dealers next week to order the new clips/seals.

I'll bung the carpets in the machine whilst the missus is out, before she has a chance to say no!

mine was leaking last winter and was membrane behind door cards, i would check scuttl tray first as that is quicker. But if not that then def membrane. Still easy fix just door cards off and re seal.

once youve established if you have a leak or not get yourself a couple of these:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9415180&fh_reftheme=promo_159792088%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502022}&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502022}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dtreatments&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1289778072450&isSearch=false

they're excellent for drawing water, just make sure they dont tip up - leave at home if you're driving the car - as the waterery stuff left will never come up if it spills.

Can be worth driving with heaters on full faced to floor whilst driving, window slightly open for a couple of long journeys too.

Also, before parking up, drive the last bit home with windows open, heater on cold to decrease air temp in car.. this will freeze your nuts off but help the screen to be clear in the mornings.

once youve established if you have a leak or not get yourself a couple of these:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9415180&fh_reftheme=promo_159792088%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502022}&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502022}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dtreatments&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1289778072450&isSearch=false

they're excellent for drawing water, just make sure they dont tip up - leave at home if you're driving the car - as the waterery stuff left will never come up if it spills.

Can be worth driving with heaters on full faced to floor whilst driving, window slightly open for a couple of long journeys too.

Also, before parking up, drive the last bit home with windows open, heater on cold to decrease air temp in car.. this will freeze your nuts off but help the screen to be clear in the mornings.

Thanks for the suggestion, have heard of things like these to draw the moisture out of the air

Looked like I tempted fate, as low and behold this morning the car was frozen solid. Had to fight just to get into the thing only to be greeted to frost on the inside of the screen :(

Both good tips that work :salute:

Thanks for the suggestion, have heard of things like these to draw the moisture out of the air

Looked like I tempted fate, as low and behold this morning the car was frozen solid. Had to fight just to get into the thing only to be greeted to frost on the inside of the screen :(

brings back memorys, last winter when it didnt get above freezing on those few days my floor mats were iced and stuck to my carpet. I dont know how good those things are that remove the moisture but i would say you need to take out carpet and underlay as i had puddle under the sound proofing. Needs taking out and hanging up.

mines icy on the inside to. The carpets dont seem damp. But my sunroof seals are a bit fudged, and I do have a little hole in the rear inner arch ( which I will get welded or filled asap.) these would let in moisture I assume?

So its basically moisture getting in I need to check for

is it risky to shove a bicycle brake cable down my sun roof drains to check they are cleared, without dropping the roof / head lining out? Im getting the misty windows issue and plan to go through a load of the basic checks and try to dry her out on a wee drive. First up id better get out of bed and see how damp the carpets are and where!

I've also thought of doing this, was worried of poking a hole in the pipe and causing a bigger problem

Ollie

I've also thought of doing this, was worried of poking a hole in the pipe and causing a bigger problem

Ollie

From memory, aren't these pipes a hard plastic type of pipe? Would think you would be safe poking the cable down gently.

Ollie

From memory, aren't these pipes a hard plastic type of pipe? Would think you would be safe poking the cable down gently.

Bently manual says to use speedo cable so would be a similar thing:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've recently bought some dehydration crystals from halfords (£5) which is basically CaCl2. Its been in there for about 2 weeks now but is totally dry and the car is still misting up like mad. Either the crystals are made of plastic or i'm using them incorrectly insofar as they've made absolute,ly no difference to the misting up whatsoever. What results have you had using the dessicants and how did you go about using them? Mine sit on teh back seat at the moment, although I tried them in the footwell first.

Hasan im assuming thats the same as the silicone stuff you get in trainer boxes etc. i had some in the car too, couple of bags in the front and a couple in the boot. made no difference at all.

Im thinking window seals