Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

stopping locks freezing?

Ah, so I might try the PTFE spray I've got in the garage tonight, works wonders on seat runners too, no more grease collecting dirt :)

63929.jpg[/attachment:2set2rty]£2.64 from Toolstation :)

I have to state the obvious here ................... Why not put the car in the garage ??

Surely that would works wonders on the 'Stopping locks freezing '

I am getting my coat..................... :lol:

Probably for the same reason I don't put a wet car in a garage...... it accelerates corrosion because there's no air flow around the car to dry it off :D

I used de- icer on mine. and on another time warm water

de-icer - genius :lol:

if I get caught away from home on a frosty night I suppose I could piss on the handle :)

Probably for the same reason I don't put a wet car in a garage...... it accelerates corrosion because there's no air flow around the car to dry it off :D

Do you really believe this ?

I understand your point and appreciate a car would dry off quicker with air flow around it - but surely a car is better off in a garage even so.

Less damage from Birds poo, flying depris - it is quite windy here, dust ingraining and taking more time to clean.

(Even though, the car is jet sprayed with water before washing, surely some of this dust gets ingrained anyway.)

Engine warming up quicker, locks not frozen up, windscreen not requiring defrosting/scrapping etc.

Surely none of this is great for the car either ?

And - I was waiting for David to have some smart a%ed answer - and you spoilt it !!!!

I used de- icer on mine. and on another time warm water

de-icer - genius :lol:

if I get caught away from home on a frosty night I suppose I could piss on the handle :)

Ive been called allsorts nice(not) things in the past but never the G word :lol:

And - I was waiting for David to have some smart a%ed answer - and you spoilt it !!!!

:) it's simple -ish,

1) half the garage is full of Corrado parts, 2 wings, 2 bumpers, 3 doors, starters, alternators, crank, grilles, steering rack, exhaust, 2 sets of seats, 3 sets of door cards, 2 old washing machines, lawn mower, tools, bikes, random bits of wood that might come in useful one day, 90% used tins of paint etc...

2) the other side has my black 16v in it now for the winter :)

and lastly... wot kev said :)

I know someone who put a very good condition car in the garage for 3 years whilst they had a company car. It wasn't the driest garage, not leaking...just damp. At the end of it they had a complete rust bucket waiting for them. Tragic. I would never put a wet car in a garage.

It's all true Wendy, that's why a car port is the best spot for a car that is in daily use over the wet/winter months rather than a garage.

It's also worth noting that the other reason to use a garage is to keep the sun off the car, UV makes a mess of rubber and trims and ages the interior plastics.

As for more VW lubricants; the sticking door seals are catered for by using VW's silicon lubricant, D 007 000 A2 around £10 for 200ml, this is also to be used for seat rails, window lifters, head restraint rods and as an aid to fitting hoses. On top of that is can be applied to door and flap seals to prevent freezing and is a highly suitable anti-squeak agent for application to plastic parts.

I guess any generic silicon lubricant will do the job though.

Yep.

If you want to leave a wet car in a garage you need a decent dehumidifier.

I've got one of these - http://www.xdry-dehumidifiers.co.uk/

It fills a 3 gallon bucket over 5 days (9pm to 6am daily) this time of year!

If the car is moderately moist I'll stick it in there with the dehumid' on, but not when covered in snow or drenched after a rainy drive. The dehumid' is basically to stop my tools and parts rusting :D

Don't use WD40 - it's not a long term fix - Just buy the proper stuff from VW, works wonders and I never have locks freezing.

Defo not WD40

G 052 778 A2.jpg[/attachment:4xa4bpv2]

G052 778 A2 Lock Lube.

Note the the cap labelling "with de-icing effect". Comes with a spray tube as seen and also a lock "slot" adaptor to spray into the key slot.

Its a PTFE based product which lubricates and repels water. It's tacky to the surface it's applied to. Used it for years on MK2 Sciroccos.

Got this today and it works a treat. Locks feel sooo slick now, and don't freeze in the cold. I've tried white grease,WD40 etc... before, but this seems to work much better. :)

Don't use WD40 - it's not a long term fix - Just buy the proper stuff from VW, works wonders and I never have locks freezing.

Defo not WD40

G 052 778 A2.jpg[/attachment:3ul6lcw5]

G052 778 A2 Lock Lube.

Note the the cap labelling "with de-icing effect". Comes with a spray tube as seen and also a lock "slot" adaptor to spray into the key slot.

Its a PTFE based product which lubricates and repels water. It's tacky to the surface it's applied to. Used it for years on MK2 Sciroccos.

Just ordered some this morning from VW Stockport Price was £7.54 inc VAT, thanks for the part number

Its been as low as -18c round mine and using petroleum jelly on the door rubbers and door lock barrel, and 99p lidl silicon spray on everything else.

Not in Stockport, they won't stock it. Tried to pursuade them. :brickwall: And... iirc, its not on VW-UKs list to order.

Its been as low as -18c round mine and using petroleum jelly on the door rubbers

I'm sure I heard that rots the rubber.

Oh bugger ! Better take it off again then. Have used it for years no damage yet but will check it closely just in case. Cheers for the heads up :shock: