Swompy

Swompy's DBP 24v. New daily

Plugs looked good as Graham said you wouldnt of been able to tell unless we done the compression test, o well these things happens I suppose

Thanks Mic I think im going to have to take you up on that offer as Graham did say to give you a shout :D

Haha Jon I wish :D I got a bit saved up which I was going to use on making this engine better but with that money plus the dosh I get from the Shrick mani it should be enough to cover the conversion

The comp was low on 3,4 and 5 the bores are shiny with no cross hatching left and slight vertical scoring, its probably a combination of this and the valves not sealing up properly etc.

The engine also needs the chains doing so the price of this and at the very least a head rebuild, plus some tuning stuff he was thinking of, it comes to similar money as an 24v conversion.

So why not put a 24v in, a much more modern low mileage engine :)

Thanks mate, Ya I much rather know now than find out the hard way :D

Yeah, nothing worse than an engine letting go at 100mph+ on a motorway hoon. Not that I'd know what that was like of course. ;)

Gutted to hear your bad news Jake but I'm impressed with your turning adversity into triumph! God bless DG as ever...

Must say that I feel your pain, since going in for the DGR+ cams turned out to be a bit more of a job when we found that my head gasket had let go. However, the engine now runs so beautifully (old school 12v though it is!) that it was bliss to get it back all tuned up and top end rebuilt.

I'm sure that you'll notice an even better result going from a VR3 to a 24v beast! Looking forward to following with interest...

Cheers mate, not going to let it stop me enjoying the VR6 noise :D even if it is a bit of a newer version

Bad luck Jake. That must have been quite a blow so soon after getting it. Good on you for looking beyond it though.

Guest abdul16v

Hey Jake I ended up making a new account as I couldnt get back in with my normal username. Anyway just want to say I'm really sorry your having thes problems mate. It's kinda bizarre as you caught it before there were any visible signs etc. Anyway I hope things work out mate.

Oh and to anyone wondering the car was driving spot on, no smoke, no oil usage and power delivery etc was spot on...

Don't worry about it mate, these things happen.

I'm not stopping at the first hurdle and she will live in with a new heart :D

Hi mate

No there was no signs at all really apart from a little mis fire at low revs every now and again.

Glad your looking to the positive side mate! Had the same thing on my VR6, except 1 day it worked and the next it never started again, low comp on 3 pistons etc....anyway....24v!!!

Cheers mate, not going to let it stop me enjoying the VR6 noise :D even if it is a bit of a newer version

You'll definitely enjoy the noise of the lowly 24v

Here is a pic of the VR with the debadged grill on it. Taken after the TT wipers where put on :D

IMAG0175.jpg

You'll definitely enjoy the noise of the lowly 24v

Mic - Nice! I like the way you turn right out of D&G to get the maximum sprint distance before the dreaded speed bumps.

Jake - Mic let me have a go in this when I was up last year - its very driveable with really smooth power delivery. If you do go 24v you'll have a lot of fun.

Hi mate

No there was no signs at all really apart from a little mis fire at low revs every now and again.

Thanks. That’s interesting…. my car is running fine and doesn’t seem to be lacking any horses. It’s been driven by another forum member and he said that mine felt ‘torqueier’ that his old VR6. But I guess based on what you’re saying it still doesn’t mean the engine is 100% huh?!

Have fun with the 24V! :)

Ya. Might be worth having a comp test just to make sure if your worried

Edited by Swompy

Had a email from Graham today with good news. :cool:

Almost got a engine sorted so hopefully wont be long and it will be sorted :cool: