gradeAfailure

The "Will these wheels and tyres fit" thread

Do you have any arch rubbing issues Sean?

The problem I have is the car is booked in a week tomorrow to get the wheel alignment done and get corner weighed. The wheels should arrive by Wednesday which doesn't leave me much time to get spacers sorted and the wheels mounted.

It's a set of LM090 ive got coming, but I have just read conflicting information regarding the centre bore. Which now worries me. All the sets I've seen for sale are 57.1 but I also have read on VW vortex that they are 56.

No arch rubbing what so ever. I could maybe get away with an extra 5mm spacing on the back to bring it out a little bit more, but I don't want to risk it. Mine are 17x7.5 too. I run 205/40/17 tyres like you're getting so a very small amount of stretch.

Have a look on my gallery toward the second half of it if you want to look at how it sits, I'm lowered about 30mm all round, but I had Weitec coilovers on until recently which were about 40mm all round with no issues again.

Oh and LMs, drool! Possibly my favourite wheel period! They offer them for quite a few different makes so there are quite varied centre bores, depends what they've come off I suppose or where you've ordered them if new.

Are you running et35 all round? I've ordered them from rare wheels in Hungary. They had a set for sale previously that were 57.1 so I'm hoping these are the same.

I'm going to have a nosey at your gallery now.

Yeah it's certainly lengthy. I had read bits of it before. Ordered 15mm spacers last night, I'll see how they go and adjust from there.

Can anyone recommend decent tyres?

Fraser

Yeah it's certainly lengthy. I had read bits of it before. Ordered 15mm spacers last night, I'll see how they go and adjust from there.

Can anyone recommend decent tyres?

Fraser

bridgestone RE002's :D

Hi Peeps!

Would appreciate a quick answer on this, need to get my Montreal 2 alloys refurbished due to bad air leak, so need to temporarily fit Speedlines on the MK4 Golf, its a GT TDI PD150.

My question is will the Speedlines fit the MK4 Golf brake setup.

Gus.

288mm front is a maybe, 312mm front is a no.

If you have a spare use that on the front and an axle stand?

So the LMs arrived today as did my wheel spacers. I ordered 15mm spacers that will turn the et back down to 33. The wheels will be getting tyres tomorrow but I thought I would trial fit a wheel tonight to see if they clear my brakes. They do.........Just!! I think I will need to get a slightly larger set of spacers. thoughts please.

That does look close Fraser!! Why I didn't commit to size of spacers may need 20 MM. not totally clear from pic how close it is though.

Those wheels are sexual! As are those Tarox calipers, although they do look pretty close tbf. Think it'll be touch and go with another 5mm to be honest, but you may just get away with it.

They don't touch but you would struggle to get a piece of cloth between the caliper and the spoke. Which is fine but if a bearing had to go it would be disasterous. I'll probably get a set made to space them out a bit more.

Yeah they a tarox brakes, going to need new pads soon though. Which is on my list of things to buy this week.

Get a set of feeler gauges out. If it has .75mm/0.030" or less clearance then you may possibly have issues and if you generate a lot of heat in the brakes. The calipers and wheels will thermally grow.

Years ago I did have some fouling with .5mm/0.020" clearance and that was measured with an ambient of around 14-16c. Made some shim pack, spaced it to .8mm and it worked. Ambient was warmer at around 19.

If you have hub centric spacers with 10mm or more hub boss protruding you could use a thin 3mm spacer that is not hub centric to give you the extra clearance you need and still locate the wheels properly.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/wheel-trims-alloys/ripspeed-spacer-kit-3mm-4-or-5-stud?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Car+Accessories-_-Wheel+Trims+&+Alloys-_-293279&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:293279&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=awrxitll&istBid=tzar&_$ja=tsid:35522%7Ccid:344535124%7Cagid:24345234124%7Ctid:pla-230445360004%7Ccrid:97647066964%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:4544625882134449067%7Cdvc:t%7Cadp:1o4&gclid=COOalvzl-ssCFRBmGwod1t4MLg

Thanks James, they will be going on it tomorrow.

Kdub, I already went to halfords first thing today and purchased a set of 3mm spacers. I'll run them for the wheel alignment on Monday and get a set of 18mm spacers made up for after that. Tbh I never even thought about the heat from the brakes causing issues! I'm glad you pointed it out though as its reinforced my decision to buy the spacers.

Fraser

Kdub, I already went to halfords first thing today and purchased a set of 3mm spacers. I'll run them for the wheel alignment on Monday and get a set of 18mm spacers made up for after that. Tbh I never even thought about the heat from the brakes causing issues! I'm glad you pointed it out though as its reinforced my decision to buy the spacers.

Fraser

Fraser

I have 20mm spacers that are going on my car but if you wanted to try them before I put them on you can ?

Fraser

It's not just that, I used a dial indicator to measure the flex from float in the wheel bearing etc and that alone took up .2mm. That was just with hand pressure and wheel off the ground. Imagine corner forces added in with the thermal growth.

Thanks for the offer Chris, but I should be ok now with these other spacers.

Kdub so as a rule of thumb for anyone anything less than 1.5mm is running a risk of fouling depending on temps, cornering and bearing movement?

Fraser

Well bearing movement is all part of the whole hub. But wheels flex, calipers and wheels grow due to thermal.

But yes, 1.5mm should clear any situation. The more room however the less heat gets held in the brakes. Wheels can get hot and radiate heat back as well. One of the main reasons of cooling ducts on fast cars is not only to chill the brakes down but also to create an insulation barrier between wheels and brake assembly. Lighter alloys dissipate heat better.

Not that most of us will ever notice though.

Hi guys,

Wanted to know if Porsche Boxster Calipers would fit under BBS RS 301s (17")

The brakes have 6mm spacer between the carrier and hubs, also 20mm wheel spacers?

Will I catch the arches? Tyre size is 205/40/17

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk