northernvr6

Lightened Flywheel VR

Pro's and con's?

Also does anyone know any uk distributors i can only seem to find ones in the usa which cost a bomb to get imported ?

Can you get the original flywheel machined lighter?

Any help would be much appretiated

Standard flywheel is 18lbs (8.2Kg). I use a Schimmel cromoly flywheel, which is half the weight and works very nicely indeed. Haven't found any cons yet....

Standard flywheel is 18lbs (8.2Kg). I use a Schimmel cromoly flywheel, which is half the weight and works very nicely indeed. Haven't found any cons yet....

Interesting I thought the lighter flywheel would mean higher chance of stalling, Im sure Ive heard of another negative to them but cant remember what.

Pro's, it's supposed to give you a better engine response due to the flywheel inertia being reduced. Possibly better fuel consumption??

thanks Kev ive just had a look at the schimmel one looks very tasty but also a nice price ill be looking at around £350 once paid the P+P and import tax.

The only bad thing ive heard is that if you go too light it can effect the drivability of the car but these are just rumors.

Yep, stock flywheels strike the right momentum / engine speed pick up balance. If the engine slows down too quickly, it can as you say Quicky, cause stalling. It's certainly given me a few tuning headaches (I use the standard ISV on my standalone) but it's never stalled. I think it's the people who go for those silly light 6lb alloy jobbies, that suffer the most. Fidanza is it? A nice steel one causes very few problems.

There are always going to be for and against arguments but if you have a modified car and don't mind a few minor sacrifices, a good quality light flywheel is a good thing to have :D

i can second hotgolfs flywheels got one from him last year for a 02a for my golf really top fella very very helpful couldnt recomend him enough! but if you want to get yours machined try northeast engines in darlington no phone numbers for the place its call in only.

He also does gearbox rebuilds and a dab hand at it. Can also supply 3.6 final drives etc for VR6s.

And if you're taking the box off to fit a light flywheel, it would be a crime of the greatest magnitude to not swap the final drive. Honestly, the flywheel and the shorter final drive will give such an accelerative car compared to standard.

Ive just had a read through that hotgolfs thread looks like he knows what hes doing ill join that forum and get a up to date price.

Cheers Sleeper Darlo's only 10min down the road so ill call in see how much they want to do it.

Ill post the prices i get to incase anyone else is interested

Thanks chaps much appretiated probably saved me about 300 quid lol

How much would a 3.6 final drive be roughly?

Then how easy is it to fit?

I got my 3.68 crown wheel from Stealth for ~ £50 some years ago. HotGolf charges about the same IIRC. Otherwise it's £200ish+VAT IIRC from the dealer. You'll need an ARP diff bolt set too, at ~ £100. Hell, why not go the whole hog and fit an LSD at the same time :D

To fit it requires seperating the gearbox, taking the diff out, drilling the crown wheel studs out, fit the new crown wheel, press in some ARP studs and then refit. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's just getting access to the right tools that's difficult for some people.

if you take your flywheel to an engine builder or machine shop they will machine it down no problem. had mine done on the 20v for about £30

The VR6 one is quite thick and can be turned down, but in doing so you run the risk of it warping from the reduced heatsoaking ability (clutch friction). It's why Schimmel's is made of cromoly. So long as material is removed from the right areas, it should be fine.

Thanks for the help Kev and everyone else think ill get the original lightened for now then after its been back on the road awhile ill look into the schimmel flywheel the 3.6 final drive and fitting an lsd at the same time gimmie chance to save lotsa pennies :-)

Sorry for late reply yea mine is one of the hot golf ones I paid £80 delivered from someone on here...

It is an original flywheel which has been lightened and balanced packaging was very good proper box, styrene insert for it all to sit in anyway it's all fitted now and it is a noticeable difference spins up much much quicker not loss of power top end from what I've experiences so far hasn't stalled once either or even thought about stalling Er ok I'm obd2 now (woooohoooooo yes !!!!!).

cool where abouts your from? one thing to watch for is if the machine shop include balencing the flywheel in the price, i know hotgolf ones come ready to go.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

isnt the final drive of the cdm 3.647 anyway? so the 3.6 would result in a loss of acceleration?

Hi Sleeper from a village near sedgefield m8

Just for an update ive sent my flywheel to hotgolf to lighten and balance it he seems to know his stuff and has done alot of these before so im pretty confindent the workmanship will be top notch.

Price is £69 thats to lighten and balance the flywheel and the return postage.

Ill get some pics up when i get it back.

I've just picked up a spare flywheel too that's getting sent straight to HotGolf, look forward to getting it back. He's got a good reputation so I'm sure it will be fine.

Hi Guys ive just got my flywheel back from hotgolf cant believe how much lighter it is. Guys a top bloke great communication and quick turnaround would definatly recommend him. Cant wait to get the engine back together now !!!!

An alternative is the HotTuing VR6 lightened flywheel. My brother has one of these in his MK3 Golf and i was seriously impressed by the performance increase after fitting.

I originally turned my noise up at it due to the brand but the item that turned up was extremely good quality, not a cheap aluminum item but chrome / molybdenum alloy.

Not missed a beat in 20k+ of driving and is now under supercharger'd pressures aswell.

Currently priced @ £229.00 which i think is very good value for money.