Portent

Woohoo, we're back!

I dont know what the F5 key does :shrug::camp:? But i'm :dance: that we're back :thumbleft:

CTRL + F5 for me :)

With this, and the VR6OC down I've had to actually do work, while at work. Thanks for all the hard work Andi[/b], sounded like you had a nightmare!

Like Alex_G60 said, it's an addiction. I was getting withdrawal symptoms. Well done Andi

Yeah, quite an ordeal...

What turned into a 'simple' Ubuntu (the OS the server runs) upgrade, the server then decided it couldn't see the hard disks..!!!

The hosting company weren't much help, so I got some help from a Linux developer, but he got stumped... then I had a contact who actually works for Ubuntu in London as a programmer... he and I were up til 3.30am this morning, trying to bring it back to life.

I could access the files, however, in an 'emergency' rescue mode - so I used that to backup the whole site to another server (which, at ~45gb, took a fair few hours!) then we set to try and bring it alive.

Alas, we couldn't, so as I set off to bed, I set the server to reinstall itself from fresh.

This morning I've then been recovering all the backup, re-setting up the server (adding the webserver, SQL, databases, PHP, caching...) then bringing her back online!!

I made an exact copy of the site, so it should be exactly as we left it.....

All this paired with me having a stomach bug and really being unwell since Sunday night - AND going to work..!!

So yes, welcome back ;)

Feeling quite speedy, for me, too... ?

Yeah, quite an ordeal...

What turned into a 'simple' Ubuntu (the OS the server runs) upgrade, the server then decided it couldn't see the hard disks..!!!

The hosting company weren't much help, so I got some help from a Linux developer, but he got stumped... then I had a contact who actually works for Ubuntu in London as a programmer... he and I were up til 3.30am this morning, trying to bring it back to life.

I could access the files, however, in an 'emergency' rescue mode - so I used that to backup the whole site to another server (which, at ~45gb, took a fair few hours!) then we set to try and bring it alive.

Alas, we couldn't, so as I set off to bed, I set the server to reinstall itself from fresh.

This morning I've then been recovering all the backup, re-setting up the server (adding the webserver, SQL, databases, PHP, caching...) then bringing her back online!!

All this paired with me having a stomach bug and really being unwell since Sunday night - AND going to work..!!

So yes, welcome back ;)

:notworthy:

Unbuntu? Sounds a bit like that tropical fruit drink.....

So who thought Andi got fed up with us complaining about the classifieds and hit the delete key then? :lol:

See... if you push us.... :lol:

Um%20Bongo%20Front.JPG

CTRL + F5 for me :)

With this, and the VR6OC down I've had to actually do work, while at work. Thanks for all the hard work Andi[/b], sounded like you had a nightmare!

Yeah, vr6oc should be back within a few days. Still recovering from surgery and not well enough to fix it yet :(

So who thought Andi got fed up with us complaining about the classifieds and hit the delete key then?

The thought did cross my mind :lol:

Yeah, quite an ordeal...

So yes, welcome back ;)

Ouch. Welcome to my world. I run an IT support area for a bank. In fact I'm probably just down the road to your server (I'm guessing it may be in Docklands as a lot of hosting companies are sited here). A good Disaster Recovery process is absolutely key, along with regular DR tests... and tested implementation plans!

I must admit I did email CloudFlair to see if there was an ETA but just got a standard response about it being an issue with the hosting company.

Glad you got it sorted. If you want to chat about DR processes then let me know.

Not that i complained btw ...........well done sorting it out Andi , service above and beyond as always :notworthy:

Ouch. Welcome to my world. I run an IT support area for a bank. In fact I'm probably just down the road to your server (I'm guessing it may be in Docklands as a lot of hosting companies are sited here). A good Disaster Recovery process is absolutely key, along with regular DR tests... and tested implementation plans!

I must admit I did email CloudFlair to see if there was an ETA but just got a standard response about it being an issue with the hosting company.

Glad you got it sorted. If you want to chat about DR processes then let me know.

Thanks for the offer! I just need to sort out a bit more of a cleverer (sic) Linux script to backup the site locally then mirror it to another server to be sure now really. I did have one before, but it was a bit sporadic and I didn't really trust it.. I may just rsync the whole server.. ;)

And the CloudFlare 'backup' was interesting. I like the fact it said the site was having trouble, rather than just giving you a DNS error. Fair play to them ;)

And the server is in France - no, I wasn't there personally. vKVM FTW :)

Glad to see its back, If you need a donated server, HOLLA :)

I would think that an Rsync to another server and then a low TTL on DNS would be fine, then when you are doing maintenance switch over to the other server.... If it all goes wrong, you have time to fix it and no one see's downtime! :)

Well done Sir Andi !!

I started to shake and sweat at one point this morning :geek:

You me both.. ;)

DR, what a joke. If that was actually relied upon in a live scenario, heaven help us. Every single DR testing weekend I've been involved in has seen a failure with at least one system. And such is the entwined nature of IT systems, taking one out has a knock-on effect with the other systems. Dunno who's to blame. Us. EMC. The weather. But it never works as it should.

DR, what a joke. If that was actually relied upon in a live scenario, heaven help us. Every single DR testing weekend I've been involved in has seen a failure with at least one system. And such is the entwined nature of IT systems, taking one out has a knock-on effect with the other systems. Dunno who's to blame. Us. EMC. The weather. But it never works as it should.

Hehe, true. One bank I worked for recently had a one-way DR on one of their systems. If they ever had to failover then they had no easy way of failing back. So they never used it and never tested it. In the middle of a major incident one of the senior business guys asked why we didn't simply switch... there was a hushed silence :)

I've worn out my F5 key :)

Alt + F4 is a lot quicker way of forcing the browser to refresh/clear out the cache.