OllieVR6

What's the benefit of the rear mk4 brake conversion?

I'm just wondering what the benefit of the mk4 rear brake upgrade is? I see a lot of people do it, but aren't the disc and pad sizes the same? Or do you get more surface contact?

Mk4 calliper upgrade provides more reliable handbrake less prone to seizure

Ok. Is that something to worry about on a car used regularly? I mean it's not at the moment, but it will be once it's MOT'd and I actually prefer the look of the standard callipers to the mk4 versions.

no not until they seize or play up, then its just a question of do you fit the same again or a trouble free upgrade

The MK4 calipers benefit from a revised handbrake mechanism which is less prone to jamming on. Unfortunately the squawking noises in reverse and freezing up in the winter issues remain.

It's not a brilliant caliper design by any means, cheap and cheerful, and there are no alternatives in the aftermarket in Corrado fitment, so we are stuck with them.

Will be doin this conversion soon . Fed up with parking on the steep angled drive that we have . It always groans and moves a bit ,i have to leave her in gear and put blocks behind the wheels. Would cry if i came out and found her inbedded in the neighbours wall !

The MK4 calipers benefit from a revised handbrake mechanism which is less prone to jamming on. Unfortunately the squawking noises in reverse and freezing up in the winter issues remain.

It's not a brilliant caliper design by any means, cheap and cheerful, and there are no alternatives in the aftermarket in Corrado fitment, so we are stuck with them.

Kev arent they also lighter, for a slightly better un sprung weight?? so ive been lend to believe;)

the rear calipers on my first 16v seized on in spite of daily use, not just an issue for the weekend warriors.

when i went to the dealers for the calipers he came up with 9 different part numbers for them, all with a different letter at the end, i just went for the latest letter

So are they the same calipers on every model. Im thinking i'll need 2.0 GTi calipers, but im not 100% sure exactly what model to get them off. Whats the part number mate, do you have it to hand? Also what thickness pads did you use 15.2mm or 17mm?

How much were they for the pair?

Edited by Critical_Mass

I use the 17mm VR pads on my mk4 rears with no problems.

The only difference that I know of between different mk4 callipers is that the slot the handbrake cable goes into is wider on some, as i think some mk4s had a different size end to the cable. The pair I bought had this wider slot, but I just used some mole grips to close the gap and it's been fine for 18 months.

I suppose what really matters is the overall pad / disc / pad measurement. I've got a pair of calipers off a 1999 Golf V5 estate in the shed, if you want pics or measurements shout up.

I used corrado cables, mk4 rear callipers (from a bora), rado discs (rado bearings etc etc) and mk4 pads. No clearance issues. I have a set of mk4 rear callipers for sale if you want them, just pm me an offer.

assuming Critical Mass doesnt want the calipers how much are you looking for? Might be interested... Mods please feel free to delete this post if inappropriate.

46mm from the piston to the outer part of casting when the piston is fully wound back.

HTH