8vMatt

Interest in Carbon Front Wings??? Pics of Non Corrado Parts Delivered to me.

Hey guys,

After the success of the Headlight Switch group buy, its given me an appetite to see what other parts can be bought or made to make our lives easier for the future ownership of these cars. As we all know, its getting more difficult to buy good straight wings with no rust on them.Tonight I have been lucky enough to collect a mint rust free late front drivers wing. I want to find a mint passenger side one to have a pair. From this, I can send them over to a Carbon manufacturer company based in China to take moulds from them and produce new carbon wings for us. I have purchased a range of parts from this company and am presently waiting for the shipment to come home. I fully expect the quality to be there in being able to reproduce these wings to give good and true shut lines. They manufacture for a large amount of car companies and sell across the globe. I know people will think doing the wings in carbon will not save much weight and that is very true, my take on it is the wings will be very strong and keep shape over time and you never have to worry about rust again.

The manufacturer will be sent detailed pics of the wings and they can arrange a price with me, I can then see if it is viable proposition for us to continue with it.They stated that they would need a minimum of 5 orders to develop the mould. Due to how busy they are, by the time the wings reach the front of the queue, we would be talking at least a couple or so months away. Production and shipping could account for another 2-3 months. So this could be a long term group buy. I just wanted to gauge to see if there would be any demand for this product, obviously at a price we could all agree on that is affordable. Thoughts on pricing would be very welcome as I don't expect this to be a bargain basement item.

If I did get firm commitment of a number of people, I probably would need some form of deposit to help towards paying for all this for us. My order of parts (Golf mk5 & 6) had to be paid for upfront first.

Please let us know what you think, if you want parts, I'll do my best to make it happen :thumbleft:

Edited by 8vMatt

I bought a brand new passenger wing last December, at £260 from the dealers ! A Carbon Fibre wing maybe about the same ?

Could be interested,with no indicator holes.

Edited by dragon green

I'm definitely interested in this too. I would want to fit the side repeaters but I have no problems in making the holes myself so I'm happy to go with a set of wings without the repeater holes as I'm sure it'll help keep the costs a bit lower!

Good work Matt, really excited to see what you can come up with :)

I'd be interested in a set of front wings, with indicator holes. May I suggest that the wings are made from carbon/ Kevlar hybrid, rather than just carbon. I work in motorsport and have made wings for rally cars, which are made this way, partly to stop stones and rocks punching holes through them. Pure carbon wings wouldn't last as long. All the race cars I've worked on have this material around the wheels for this very reason.

So am i right in thinking that once sprayed up no one will ever know you have 'different' wings . . . . But they will never rust?

Arh, read first . . . Comment later!

Edited by ben_wooduk
I actually read the thread!!

if the could go without indicators and pulled arches to fit wider wheels, why not, but I'm probably asking to much

if the could go without indicators and pulled arches to fit wider wheels, why not, but I'm probably asking to much

The factory would take a mould from the original wing. It would be too hard to ask them to fabricate something thats a different shape and would be even more expensive I imagine.

I'd guess there'd be no chance to ask for some earlies? I doubt you'd get enough interest tbh.

Not really a case of asking for early, I need to send them the wings to start with. I have the late drivers side, just need to get a mint passenger side.

As above I would prefer slightly flared for wider wheels if poss?

Just need a Pass wing at the moment guys.

I will send the manufacturers the pics of the other wing I have. I should be able to get an idea about prices from them and read what their thoughts are about it.

Was talking to the other guys at the recent Beaulieu meet, and this project was discussed. I would deffinately be up for a pair of late style carbon fibre wings. Please keep me informed of your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also interested in 2. Late ones.. No indicator holes preferably. And I don't mind if they're "flared/rolled" a bit, but must be able to fit the plastic liner-thing in the wheel arch.. (Might be that it can be without using the mounting holes on the wings, i dunno..?) :)

I will ask about the indicator holes or lack of. Also ask about the flared question, I think it would cause too many complications and impact on the price. I can see there is a bit of interest in these and I know people would want them in the future. I will persue this and do my best to make it happen as I've done with the headlight switch group buy. I've had an email from the carbon manufacturers today stating that my order had been completed and is ready for shipment. 10 days of waiting! Aargh! Hopefully it shows my intent to get these parts produced as I've already spent a chunk of money with them and am developing a good working relationship. I think the only way these wings won't get made by this company would be due to the pricing. Can anyone donate a mint pass wing to the cause? Cheeky but worth asking! Oh and I've just had a carbon wrapping kit delivered to home. Might as well learn all I can about it if I'm going to be selling parts! I'm going to wrap everything in sight!!! Haha.

Edited by 8vMatt

Why not just get them made up without holes then people can drill the indicators if they want to? Same as the new OEM Wings?
Hi NeilThat's pretty much how my enquiries will be heading towards. To see if they can make the mould with the holes blanked off. Can't be too hard I would imagine.

I'm very interested in both front wings, although at the moment, would be largely dependant on price. Would prefer to have the holes for the side repeaters pre cut, but not the end of the world if not.

If I did have the wings, I can see them being followed very quickly by a carbon fibre bonnet!! lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

I've now had the delivery of parts from my supplier. I thought that I would post up a few pics to show what the parts are produced like. If I managed to get wings in the same quality as these parts, I wouldn't want to paint them!!!

Mk6 Golf Rear Diffuser-

IMG_1585.jpg

Mk5 Golf GTI Front Bumper Cover-

IMG_1574.jpg

Audi A3 Mirror Covers-

IMG_1579.jpg

wings would be good for sure. as you gotta get both really, must have a deal :)