deanjames

1.8t vs Vr6

Thinking of the idea of putting a 1.8t in place of my VR6.

Anyone done this any what are people opinions on it.

Reason im looking at doing it is i want to either take my engine out and get the bay resprayed and powder coat a lot of things.

Anyone done this - most likely

opinion - don't do it

What is the reason you are thinking of converting? In my experience 1.8ts are a lot faster on paper than they are on the road. I've got a strong feeling this thread is going to end up in a 1.8t vs VR6 argument though, I am biased though.

Unless the engine is showing signs of going pop Id just leave it as is. Ive been down the engine swap road and its a lot of money or PITA if you do it yourself for not much gain plus it takes away from the cars originality. These days that counts for a lot now unless the cars a keeper. Look on it as an oppurtunity to get in about the engine and do some maintainence.

Horses for courses really. Our Polo 1.8T weighs about the same as a Corrado would do with a 1.8T in it and it's bloody quick in midrange. When mine was a VR6 Turbo and the missus was in the Polo in front giving it some, I struggled to keep up. I kid you not. And remember this is with a 3.68 final drive in mine! It wasn't until I saw 3500rpm did my VRT gain on it, and then comprehensively destroyed it :lol:

My mate's MK4 1.8T with a K04-001 turbo upgrade and mapped to 280hp by Vince also took considerably more effort than I'd have liked to get past him, and mine was dynoed at 392hp. This further supports my argument that out on the open roads, you need to have bucket loads more power than the car you are taking on to beat it easily.

Anyway, as punchy as the 1.8T is, my god is it coarse. When I get back in the Corrado after a run in the Polo, it's immediately a better place to be and the engine can hardly be felt at all compared to the Polo!! There is simply no way on this earth I would trade a creamy 6 for a rough 4 banger, no way.... but as I say, each to our own! If you want raw grunt, go 1.8T! If you want refinement, stick with the big 6 :D

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Agreed with Coullstar on his points.

One other benefit of the 1.8T I forgot to mention was a more agile and lighter feel through the corners. Ultimately a VR6 can carry big cornering speeds but it will understeer much easier than a 1.8T.

Certainly horses for courses, I have had both, my Corrado was a switchable 150/230 map and it certainly was no slouch. However the VR6 engine, even in standard form, is no slouch either and shift when you need them too. If it is all about the go then yes a 1.8T will give more power than a n/a VR. But there is something you miss when you go back to 4 pots, refinement being one of them and noise is another. If you were just going to 230 bhp I would not bother. If you do want to then my advise is leave your VR alone and go and get a 2l 8v and 16v and build it up from scratch.

The subframes on the vr won't allow you to fit a 20vt, I already looked into it, it's far easier to put a 20vt in a g60 or valver ;)

I have a switchable 225/275bhp 20vt mine goes like a scalded cat,but keep the Vr6 a six pot motor ! 20vts suit the four pot cars !

Just my 2p

lol i love the animal quotes, " mine goes like a scalded cat!" "my 20vt goes like a stabbed rat!"

cant realy comment as ive never driven a 1.8t! but the whole reason i own the car i do is because of the vr6!

i wouldnt own any other model unless it has the 24v 2.8 or 3.2 or 3.6 six cylinder engine!! the noise is amazing!!

the smoothness is amazing!! and yes this thread just turned to 1.8t vs vr6, but each to there own! if you like

the 1.8turbos then go for it!

ah the noise at 2.00

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Honestly, if you really need more power at least keep 6 cylinders, 4mo lump or r32 if possible is what i'd do.

1.8T's are quick but somehow sh*t too lol. They provide good bang for the buck but that's it. Suit Mk3's/Mk4's etc (ie soul less cars)

Lets all agree everyone has their own taste before it turns into full on argument.

As said if you own a 6 cylinder raddo,only replace it with a 6 cylinder.their power delivery is smooth,low down torquey and has a lovely noise when flooring it.However theyre a thirsty engine and slighty heavier up front meaning more understeer.

The corrado 1.8t lacks the refinement of the 6 cylinders no doubt about it(well the smooth running ones anyway) but makes up on accelaration,cornering and easier on fuel making it a good daily.Plus cheaper to upgrade and tune as its a common engine.but agreed only stick a 4 banger in a 4 banger car

You will gain easier tuning, and much more mid range grunt.

You will lose the originality, and soul not to mention the glorious engine note. Additionally, unless its a very neat install (ala Jay Renshaw level of detail) you will lose resale value or at least find it harder to sell in the event you get bored of it.

As others have said, with a vr6 I'd probably stick with a 6cyl - however having driven a 1.8t rado run in around 280bhp I'd certainly recommend it to those with 4pots, the one I drove was an animal but also drove like a standard car when not ragging it! I must admit I'm tempted to have one fitted as and when I run into problems with mrs W's 8v.

lol i love the animal quotes, " mine goes like a scalded cat!" "my 20vt goes like a stabbed rat!"

Yeah, it does make you wonder who has actually stabbed a rat and then put it up against a stopwatch!

As said if you own a 6 cylinder raddo,only replace it with a 6 cylinder.their power delivery is smooth,low down torquey and has a lovely noise when flooring it.However theyre a thirsty engine and slighty heavier up front meaning more understeer.

Hmmm....

Noise - Check

Smooth - Check

Thirsty - Check

Understeer - Check

Low down torquey - X

Think what he means is the 24v which has got the low down torque Kev, thirsty though... I'm not so sure on that if you compare them to the 1.8t's. My sister has an audi A3 1.8t (150 bhp I think) doing an average of 80 miles to £20, my VR6 has been doing between 100-120 miles to £20.

You are all wrong! lol

5 cylinders and a turbo is the way forward!!!!

Hey everybody happy!

had 2 x 1.8t and 3 x VR6 and:

1.8T - cheaper to run, more power for less money, smooth run if you stay with oem management

VR6 - amazing noise, good top rpm range, much smoother than 1.8t

If I have to chose between 2 of them I probably flip a coin. If it will be my daily I'd definitely go for 1.8T, if a weekend car I'd stick to VR6

/\ You're not wrong there! That's one heck of an engine!

Think what he means is the 24v which has got the low down torque Kev, thirsty though... I'm not so sure on that if you compare them to the 1.8t's. My sister has an audi A3 1.8t (150 bhp I think) doing an average of 80 miles to £20, my VR6 has been doing between 100-120 miles to £20.

In that case yeah, the 24V is massively gruntier low down than the 12V :D I remember driving John M's and MicVR's 2.8 24V converted Corrados and thinking I'd made a mistake going turbo they were so quick low down.....but 3500rpm onwards they have absolutley nothing, which is a shame. Well, I say nothing, but the rate of acceleration from that point on just feels incredibly flat. Ditto the R32....but those following my thread will know I'm aiming to improve on that :D

Yip, our Polo 1.8T (also 150hp) is not great on fuel either and worse still, it has a puny little 45 litre tank, so the range is pathetic. Less painful to fill at the pump tho...

I have never driven or been in the 24v so I'm speaking from research, but what I have heard is rather than having the torque curve of the VR when you get that pull at 3.5k-ish, the 24v has it all the way through the range which although is fast doesn't feel it. Was probably the only bad factor about changing to obd2, the power is lower down so your in the power band when you need it rather than waiting and smiling as it kicks in. The VR's problem is also what characterises it and what most people love about it!

I was extremely underwhelmed by my sisters 1.8t, I was pulling away from it in my 100bhp stripped out suzuki swift gti. I know a guy that had a tuned ibiza with a k04 hybrid, after I had been given the whole "he will eat your VR for breakfast", I ended up letting him past (on a private road of course) then having to brake before I went into the back of him as I was accelerating! I'll happily eat my words if I get taken out in a 1.8t corrado but I've never met one that i've been impressed with.

Yeah I like that about the VR6 in that the power band grows with rpm. A proper old school 'the more you push the pedal, the faster you go' engine. With a turbo that same sensation is amplified hugely and really suits the car. I just hope I can extract some top end vigour from my R32 install or it might dissapoint me. The 24v's torque peaks very early but you can get it to behave like a 12V by binning the standard intake and fitting a short runner.... if you can live with the 50lbft drop in torque below 3000rpm!

He he, good stuff on the 1.8T racelette there. I often find the people who boast the loudest about their cars power, have the least when it comes down to it. I've been in that situation myself a few times. Taken up a challenge and the other guy regretted it :lol:

I have to say though, the 1.8T in our Polo is the last of the line with the latest ECU, software, turbo and coils. It's been utterly reliable (engine wise) and has a nice power band (K03S turbo) that doesn't come in too early or fizzle out too early. A quick trip to Vince will see it making 230hp by doubling the boost pressure, but tbh we quite like it as it is. It only weighs 1100ish KG so is pretty nippy!

I don't think you'll be properly impressed by a 1.8T until you're in a 300+hp one tbh mate.... it's just how those engines are with stock turbos. You need to try one that's got a GT30 strapped to it!! :D

the vw management for the 1.8t is excellent, but it doesn't show you how good that engine can be. Stick it on stand alone management and you have a completely different engine. hardly soul less in my opinion

/\ Agreed. The N75 control comes down like an anvil with the stock managment to prevent over-boost. With that removed, it is indeed a far better engine imo.