ben_wooduk

Corrado VR6 - K22 BRW

4 hours ago, ben_wooduk said:

Finally manged to get myself a set of 16" Speedlines but i never thought they would be brand new! Massive thanks to MJA for that one! After calling Speedline (who are situated in Telford just down the road) at midday, they were on my front door step the next morning! Quality service!

Properly chuffed with them, think slightly lower and a pair of slim spacers out back will make me a little happier though 🙂 My only gripe is with the centre caps, i'm not a fan. I don't like them being black rather than silver (which is obviously an easy fix) but it would be awesome if i could get some flush standard look centre caps like the originals. They are the same size but totally different fitment. I've been trying to convince myself to buy a 3d printer for a while now and i might just have found the reason! Someone has already scanned the original centre caps. here ; VW Corrado SpeedLine (VR6) center cap by hendrik6073 - Thingiverse

I'll just add it to the growing list of parts i have stacking up, i wish my garage was big enough to work in!

IMG_20210504_185524.jpg

26.jpg

IMG_20210505_131042.jpg

Looks epic

2 hours ago, MJA said:

Somewhat of a bargain I thought considering what they were sellling for second hand back in 2009. I believe these were left over from a run of wheels made in 2008. I'm led to believe they are all gone now though.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/fs-5x100-16x7-corrado-speedline-wheels-yokohama-parada-tires-mint-condition.4372369/

Ah - the now almost legendary VW Vortex 16" Speedline remake! All makes sense now - great idea, "We want 16 inch OEM wheels for our Corrados, let's get the manufacturer to run some off..."

Was a year or two before my VR6 ownership began, but if I had know there were some left over I would have definitely had a set. Looks like we might all need to go to 16s soon to be able to find sensible tyres. Well wear.

Looks like there was another successful group buy in the States in 2019 for the 16":

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/feeler-group-buy-16-speedline-corse-corrado-speedlines.8783130/page-4

and it was a small run, only 30 wheels or so. The suggestion is that they seem to be able to run these off existing 2110  tooling and then machine the bore and PCD etc. for ET35. Hmm - I wonder would it be worth gauging interest as these would be the ideal wheels for many who are looking for an OEM+ solution?

I would say there would be some intensest for sure - im ok myself as have now a strict policy x2 sets of alloys per car.  Although these would be sweet and just sell the stock 15s and these are basically stock just larger. 

Edited by Keyo

When I purchased the Speedlines I had a very good chat with one of the guys, he confirmed they were made for America because someone just had to have 16's! We owe him a beer! 

These are part of the Speedline historic range now and although I had the last set on the shelf, they run a couple of batches per year. Interestingly, they have been exporting these to Europe for years but there has never been any demand from the UK. Apparently it's only the last year or so that sales a little closer to home are growing so certainly some group buy potential!

So, my alarm is pants, it's a very old Scorpion alarm either original or fitted a very long time ago! I've been toying with the idea of either removing it completely (car is kept in an alarmed garage so not too bothered about that) or getting a new one if I can find an alarm fitter I can trust(a task I've been unable to complete for the previous two Corrado's!). 

Anyway, the decision has been taken out of my hands because it's packed up today, both fobs do not get even the slightest movement from the car so I'm opening the doors with the key (no noise at all from the locking pump so I don't think it's that). I figure I'll leave it till next year when the mot is due and make a decision then however, one big problem..... The fuel flap is locked! Is there a manual way to open it? The car starts and drives normal thankfully but without any fuel it isn't getting far 😞

You can open the fuel flap if you pull back the boot liner in the rear quarter and pull back the locking rod

4 minutes ago, fla said:

You can open the fuel flap if you pull back the boot liner in the rear quarter and pull back the locking rod

That is exactly what I wanted to hear😁😁😁😁

Cheers mate, I'll have a look tomorrow 👍

Mission complete. Manually unlocked the fuel cap from behind the carpet and limped back to Shell on fumes to fill up on some glorious Super Unleaded at £1.51 a litre 🤢.

Took it out for a nice drive in the sun on Wednesday and wanting to unload my Screwfix shop into the passenger side, I opened the passenger side door with my key. What happened? The central locking kicked in and both doors, boot and fuel cap opened! (So, 2 days earlier I limped home on almost an empty tank, got the fuel cap open and then limped back to Shell when all I had to do was walk around the other side of the car to open the fuel cap 😫)

In fact, the passenger door is faultless, it locks and unlocks everything as it should whereas the drivers door lock will only open the drivers door. I'm going to remove the driver side door card and have a rummage as it sounds electrical and also, I'm making my way through 197 pages of search results on here when searching central locking!

Anyone else had a similar problem? Using the search someone suggests its might be a chip in the door handle that cannot be replaced? So I might need to buy a new door handle.... if i can get hold of one!

8 hours ago, ben_wooduk said:

Mission complete. Manually unlocked the fuel cap from behind the carpet and limped back to Shell on fumes to fill up on some glorious Super Unleaded at £1.51 a litre 🤢.

Took it out for a nice drive in the sun on Wednesday and wanting to unload my Screwfix shop into the passenger side, I opened the passenger side door with my key. What happened? The central locking kicked in and both doors, boot and fuel cap opened! (So, 2 days earlier I limped home on almost an empty tank, got the fuel cap open and then limped back to Shell when all I had to do was walk around the other side of the car to open the fuel cap 😫)

In fact, the passenger door is faultless, it locks and unlocks everything as it should whereas the drivers door lock will only open the drivers door. I'm going to remove the driver side door card and have a rummage as it sounds electrical and also, I'm making my way through 197 pages of search results on here when searching central locking!

Anyone else had a similar problem? Using the search someone suggests its might be a chip in the door handle that cannot be replaced? So I might need to buy a new door handle.... if i can get hold of one!

I have never heard of a chip in the door handle. It does have microswitches

11 hours ago, Cressa said:

I have never heard of a chip in the door handle. It does have microswitches

Ah that might be what I'm talking about! I'm going to take the door apart first anyway to check for any dodgy wires before splashing out on a door handle.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:34 PM, ben_wooduk said:

Finally manged to get myself a set of 16" Speedlines but i never thought they would be brand new! Massive thanks to MJA for that one! After calling Speedline (who are situated in Telford just down the road) at midday, they were on my front door step the next morning! Quality service!

IMG_20210504_185524.jpg

These look great. What are the tyre spec (because they look perfect too) ?

2 hours ago, James. said:

Got them from black circles mate

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 205/45 R16 W (83), Asymmetrical.

19 hours ago, ben_wooduk said:

Got them from black circles mate

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT 205/45 R16 W (83), Asymmetrical.

Thanks Ben.

You may like to hear that they'll be for the 8v (which is currently being restored/repainted).

Do you rate them as a year round tyre (apologies if it's your first set) ?

Edited by James.

1 hour ago, James. said:

Thanks Ben.

You may like to hear that they'll be for the 8v (which is currently being restored/repainted).

Do you rate them as a year round tyre (apologies if it's your first set) ?

That's amazing news James! I remember reading one of your previous posts and thought for sure you'd be scrapping it so that's great to hear. I still remember picking it up on my 20th birthday, I was beyond excited.

Re the tyres, I can only say they feel like a nice ride and aren't too loud either, but having only done around 100 ish dry miles as I haven't had much time this year I can't say I'd give the greatest review.

I bought my wheels at the same time as @MJA and I think he opted for the Avon's if you wanted an opinion on another option.

Looking good Ben 🙂. However like you I have only done about 100 miles on the car since fitting. 

I only went for my tyre choice because it was recommended by my local garage. I think your Dunlops are a better tyre and disappointly mine don't have a rim protector.

20210725-190034.jpg

2 hours ago, ben_wooduk said:

That's amazing news James!

Thanks, Honestly, I think if lockdown hadn’t happened, then it would have been re-purposed by now.

It’s been a great workhorse, great to drive, super reliable and thankfully recent price rises have made painting it a job I’m not likely to lose my shirt over.

That said, eyeing up some lovely speedlines and a lowering kit may make me lose a sleeve or two.

I’ll update the thread when I have some more pictures.

Thanks for the advice on the tyres all.

Edited by James.