andy

Moving on, 7 years of Corrado ownership coming to an end....

The time has come, I've bought a replacement for my storm grey howling beast! I've had it 7 years, easily the most reliable car I've ever owned. Easily the most capable car too.

I've bought a 52 plate E46 BMW 330i Saloon, roughly the same figs as a VR6, 6.5s to 60mph, 150mph top end. Never owned a rear wheel drive and fancied something newer after years of deliberating about selling the Corrado. Its one of not many cars, post 2001, with a big engine that isn't silly tax.

Anyone had one? Any experience of them.

I'll still stay around the forum, I find it a brilliant resource for all car related subjects and I've found some top people on here. I don't think I'm ready for life without any Corrados in it, I've owned two and my other half has owned two. Also had a golf VR6 before that. I have a very real lump in my throat about moving it on, its been emotional!

Anyway she'll be in the classifieds before too long, she's been a fantastic work horse rather than a show piece and has never let me down in 65k miles, she's now on 155k. Never been apart engine wise, runs like clockwork. How many cars manage that!

Sorry to see you go. 1994 Storm Grey - one of my favourite colours too (but I'm biased obviously!). I'm seeing a lot of the old guard selling up and moving on which is a shame. I suppose it's innevitible with them getting old now. Are you sure you're not able to keep it as an occasional weekend car? I think they become a much more interesting and entertaining prospect when that is possible.

My brother has an E46 M3 and that is a spectacular car. I'm sure the 330i is just as good in many areas and certainly "better" than a Corrado in most of them. It's a far more modern car so you'd expect that.

All the best and I hope the BMW works out for you.

You will go but you will return, they do that too you. I drive our Alfa which is sublime for distance and rapid enough to make life interesting, but when I get back into the VR the balance, steering feel, power and noise always reminds me why I love them.

Loyal to the Germans!

At least you will be back one day. You just get the itch. The BM is always a nice choice, real wheel drive and comfortable. Especially the armrest.

Why every one that sells a corrado goes and buy a bmw?!?!?!? I really cant see anything good on those cars. I wish I had a storm. Anyway different tastes.

I looked at the 330 coupe as the 'logical' (in my mind) sucessor to the Corrado VR6. Then decided the saloon was not that different in looks, doubly practical and (apparently) a slightly stiffer chassis. I think what has sold it to me most is the build quality, when I went to see the new one yesterday I drove there in the Corrado, over some very rough roads, I'll say no more.....I then got in the BM after giving it the once over, for a test drive. We drove over the same roads and it was sublime, not a single squeak or a rattle from anything, just like the whole thing was cast in a solid block. The wheels on the BM are 18 inch (pretty low profile) with sport suspension and it still rode like a magic carpet. Then there were the Xenons vs 17 year old Corrado lights (even with Nightbreakers and relayed straight off the battery, not a fair comparison I realise!) Mirrors you can actually see out of......my all time pet hate of the Corrado.

The best bit, I paid 4k, its pretty mint, topaz blue metallic with very nice cream leather, full history, xenons, harmon kardon stereo upgrade. Roughly the same as nice (well specced, low mileage, but 7 year older) Corrado money.

However, having dropped it off at my folks, I headed home in the Corrado, cranked up the tunes, opened the windows and loved every minute of it. I haven't fallen out of love with with the Corrado at all...... I'm thinking of not selling my Bentley manual.......just in case.......

Why every one that sells a corrado goes and buy a bmw?!?!?!? I really cant see anything good on those cars. I wish I had a storm. Anyway different tastes.

Been driving a 3 series for a couple of weeks,(insurance car) really easy to reverse,good all round vision,

But it just doesnt handle !!!! The back end just steps out for no reason !!! Ive got 4 bags of cement in the boot, a little better,but not a patch on the Corrado,its a diesel with a/c and the heater doesnt get fully hot till im nearly at work ! and i work 15 miles away !!

P.S. its a 10 plate !!

Bad timing.. A storm grey VR is exactly what I want to retire to as a weekend car. I'm going through my last silly phase at the moment, but can tell already this car will be going up for sale next year.

Once it's gone I'll be on the lookout for what you have, without doubt.

Nice choice on the BM.. a bit sensible, but thats okay.

Baz

Been driving a 3 series for a couple of weeks,(insurance car) really easy to reverse,good all round vision,

But it just doesnt handle !!!! The back end just steps out for no reason !!! Ive got 4 bags of cement in the boot, a little better,but not a patch on the Corrado,its a diesel with a/c and the heater doesnt get fully hot till im nearly at work ! and i work 15 miles away !!

P.S. its a 10 plate !!

The E46 has pretty good weight distribution, they certainly aimed for 50/50 front rear compared with the previous model. You can feel the shove coming from behind, i.e. pushing you rather than pulling you. The steering feels super responsive yet weighty. It'll take some getting used to for sure, the Corrado is just so easy, very capable out of the box yet no nasty surprises.

The one thing you'll never get on the BMW though is that feeling of driving some thing rare and different. You'll be driving an oldish, practical, very capable car. I really love htem. But I think the Corrado is just now getting to that age where it is special; people don't know what it is anymore and more importantly it's a different shape to everything else out there.

But after 7 years I'd probably do the same if it was my only car.

I didn't. Oh - damn - BMW owns Mini...:)

I bought a 330i touring, very dull compared to the corrado, but still nice and sounds good. Kept the corrado though!

Hmm, but will you look back at every time you leave it, will you glance in the mirror approaching 50 mph, will you miss the lights changing because you are admiring its reflection in a shop window. What is it about Corrado's? Give it a few months and you'll be looking at the classifieds.

Hmm, but will you look back at every time you leave it, will you glance in the mirror approaching 50 mph, will you miss the lights changing because you are admiring its reflection in a shop window. What is it about Corrado's? Give it a few months and you'll be looking at the classifieds.

Good one. Spot on

So true, I think thats why its been a really difficult decision. The Corrado is really special. If it wasn't for road tax/insurance and more importantly space I'd keep it as a 2nd car. I've done a lot to it over the years too. Its a long way from where I'd like it to be but equally its a lot further on as a driving machine than it was. The throttle response is savage compared to the BM, the over-firm handling makes it feel like a bit of a weapon too.... but then you can't have it all ways. I think the Corrado probably is the best of all worlds in many respects.

Sorry to hear your selling Andy. Good choice on the E46, cracking cars, we had a 51 plate 330d M Sport few years back. Have you sold Lisa's blackberry aswell? thought I saw it on autotrader few weeks back.

Sorry to hear your selling Andy. Good choice on the E46, cracking cars, we had a 51 plate 330d M Sport few years back. Have you sold Lisa's blackberry aswell? thought I saw it on autotrader few weeks back.

Cheers Pete.

Yes Lisa's Blackberry has gone, beautiful car. She wanted an oil burner and something a bit newer and tighter. Shame really, we spent ages finding that one! Have you still got her old blue one?

I've still got the blue one, freshly serviced today aswell, now on 145k, I've had it 2 years in January.

She sold today, 7 happy years together of blood sweat and tears! Fantastic car but time to let someone else have some fun with her. Sold to some very keen chaps from Cardiff. Now there are only 46 Corrado VR6s for sale on here..........

I'll still pop in regularly, this forum has been much more than just another car forum. Most of the owners I've met have been some of the most genuine people around. There' s always a new interesting project to follow on here and who knows I may come back one day. ;-)

Because we can't afford a Porsche and don't want the stigma that goes with owning an Audi ;)

I've got a BMW as well as the Corrado. It's a 525i Tourer for general lugging duties. The Corrado runs rings around it in all the key driver appeal areas but I'd always take the Bimmer for long journeys and traffic jams. Just stick it in auto, flick the cruise on and relax :D