stevef182

Which cordless impact wrench?

I searched myself but ended up buying the corded clarke one from machine mart for £60 due to its power compared to the cordless ones

Gonna have to get one of these. WOrse part of working on the car is getting the wheels off and jacking it up onto axle stands.. note to self - buy low profile jack.

I bought a clarke battery powered impact wrench for £110 and it has been fantastic. it did stop working once but machine mart were very apologetic and sent me a new 1 within a few days. its a very very handy tool to have!

Got any links / specs on the corded one?

I can't remember the model of mine but it's a cordless Sealey one and has 285lb/ft torque. Wheel bolts are no problem. The really handy bit for me is dismantling struts. Takes a fraction of the time with an impact driver.

Always need more torque though!

Yours in a SEALEY CP2400 I believe Kev? Just found an old thread. Think I will go for this, although open to other ideas.

Jacko, you know why im asking! 'Time saver'

Do you have a model number C5 OEM?

Yeah that could be it, I'll check tonight!

One thing I have noticed is it's OK with general bolts and things but to undo wheelbolts, the battery must be fully charged as it pulls a lot of juice on the bigger jobs!

If the corded ones have more grunt, I think I'll upgrade....

Quality. 310lbft and 1/2" drive. I'm getting one :D

thats the one... did the hub nut and the subframe bolts in seconds..!!!

you know you want the cordless 1 steve. how easy did it make doing the suspension?!! no wires to worry about either

To be honest, think im gonna get the corded one, almost half the price and more power. Wires dont worry me too much.

Quality. 310lbft and 1/2" drive. I'm getting one :D

I like the look of that, might be going on my christmas list

You need impact wrench specific ones. They're usually matt black. You can obviously use the normal cromoly socket set sockets, but over time you may find they crack, or in the case of cheap n nasty sockets, fracture apart during use.

Anyone looking at buying corded should really think about investing in Air... yes more outlay initially but so much more choice of tools and versatility.

I think the corded one is fine for most hobbyists and DIYers. Air brings it's only complications and costs. A lot more costs. Decent workshop grade airguns with any real grunt cost a fortune.

You need impact wrench specific ones. They're usually matt black. You can obviously use the normal cromoly socket set sockets, but over time you may find they crack, or in the case of cheap n nasty sockets, fracture apart during use.

Yup, but is there a particular brand/make that you would recommend. Britool, Clarke, Laser etc? or are they much the same?

hmm.. was thinking about this the other day. ive got some wheels i need to swap front to back on the new daily and i really cant be assed to do it!

could really do with a cordless as most of the time im up at the garage without power.. will add to the list!