daves16v

OEM VDO Gauge Problem

Fitted my OEM gauge at the weekend but didn't run it up to temp.

Today I ran it up to temp to check another problem and now the oil pressure light is flashing when it's fully warm. The gauge is reading about 2bar at idle which I think is about right. I've double checked everything including the position of the dual pole sender on the oil filter housing. The sender is a 10 bar item and there is plenty of oil in the engine, I didn't have a problem before the gauge install. Increasing engine speed cures things but then back at idle the light is flashing again. Was ok during warm up which I expected as the pressure is usually higher.

I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I am thinking it might be the connection on the dual pole sender or how the wire is attached. I take it you have checked the earth? I found the crimps aren't great with the size of the wire kit so maybe try soldering if you haven't already?

What was the other problem you mentioned?

Edited by Rams

Sounds to me like your low oil pressure warning setting, which is part of the dual Pole sender unit, has a low pressure setting which is too high for your engine. Ideally you need 2bar at 2000rpm when the oil is at 80 degrees C. If the low pressure warning is set too high, but your actual Pressure is ok, this would explain why when you increase the idle the warning ceases. The low pressure setting of your sender is stamped into the hex nut at its base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I ordered mine they did ask questions about psi and at what stage it needs to alert. Your sender is Warning you at low revs as the rating of the sender is to make that alert. When you rev, pressure increases and the sender is thinking its within parameters and doesn't alert.

So 16VG60 has probably hit the nail on the head!

What pressure setting is the pressure switch in the sender? Its usually stamped on the sender unit body like the pressure switch you took out About 0.5bar normally.

It may be that this pressure switch is faulty in the new sender and is contacting even though the idle pressure is 2 bar.

Looks like I've got the wrong sender as it's low pressure is stamped on the side at 2bar.

Thanks again for the help.

Hopefully you might be able to exchange it. Albeit inconvenient, far better this than a real oil pressure issue. Glad your sorted now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a VDO sender with the following specs:

0-10bar

0.5 +/- 0.15 bar

also these markings,

and at the top

G (i assume ground?) and WK (??)

will this be suitable for the Audi gauges (3-gauge setup)?

On the topic of gauges, fitting the oil temp gauge - is this just a question of a switched live and wiring directly to the oil temp spade on the oil filter housing?

My Oil pressure gauge has started to act up a bit.

Turned the ignition on today and the gauge needle goes straight over to the maximum (10bar) and stays there. any ideas please?

Edited by ChrisL

G is not for ground

One terminal goes to the oil warning light the other to the gauge, I can't remember which way round it is, but I will check for u

The problem may not be the pressure at which the sender actuates, but how it actuates from what I recal there should be a connection to ground bellow 1.4 - 2bar (normaly closed) and an open (no connection) to ground above 2bar the oil light will only come on above 2500rpm if I recal. If this is the issue with yours, you can change the sender or fit a relay, the relay will be the cheaper option if you can't get a refund for the sender, and being an electrical inst tutor I can provide u with a wiring diagram

---------- Post added at 8:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:30 AM ----------

If it goes to the 10bar and has been working either the sender is screwed / cloged or the wire to the sender has a short to ground

Wes, bought from Merlin Motorsport 09/02/12

Stock Code - 360081030009C

Description - VDO Oil Pressure Sender 10 Bar M10x1 W/C 0.5

Cost delivered - £69.07

Hope this helps

Dave