Roger Blassberg

Injector cleaning

Difficult job to change the injectors in / out?

Not at all, Jim. There's only a few more steps to perform than removing the manifold.

Just make sure your injectors are seated correctly after, a little bit of oil wiped onto the new seal helps.

Infact, look at these video how-to's on removing the manifold and injectors ;) simples.

Here is the link: http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?504673

Not a bad job at all, hardest part is pulling them out but they are just push fit. Let me know if you do it jim I have a spare set of o rings if needed.

Thanks Chris.

Roger - was good to meet you yesterday. Are your old injectors still available / up for grabs?

Jim,

good to see you and the others as well. A thoroughly enjoyable time and interesting to put faces to names.

I'm afraid I passed my old injectors on, but sets come up on eBay quite regularly. As said above, they are easy enough to fit. I took off both halves of the manifold and thoroughly cleaned out the injector ports using a very soft (brass) brush in the Dremmel. New gaskets for the manifold joints, and obviously new O-rings.

All the best,

Roger

Jim, I've got a spare set of injectors you can have, they came with an inlet manifold I bought a couple of years ago.

What would you be looking for price wise mate? :)

Is it worth me getting some done just out of course?

About to change my engine, new one came with injectors so i have two sets. Thinking i may as well, my originals have been in the car for over 200k and i have them off anyway

Especially if you are leaving them off the car I would mate.but get them done just before you rebuild as they dont like to be dry.....

What would you be looking for price wise mate? :)

Just postage cost please matey.

Just postage cost please matey.

Ah - that's crazy. I'll chuck in some extra. PM me your PayPal address and I'll sort something out.

Cheers :)

Just as a quick tip, ultrasonic baths are actually dead cheap. Mine cost £18 off eBay and it does a stellar job. Just need to rig something to cycle the injectors open and closed while they're in the bath and you're golden...plus you are left with a bath you can clean everything else in! As an example here are two of my inlet valves...

ultrasonic.jpg

Worth a shot if you're on a budget, I know I wouldn't have any qualms about doing mine myself :)

Stone

The service I received from Mr Injector included changing the filters and seals (O rings), providing a before/after report on flow rates and ensuring correct spray patterns. I thought it was good value for about £70. a "satisfaction guaranteed" service is worth paying for.

Best wishes

RB

yeah same with these guys:

http://autotronixdevelopments.co.uk/...ctor-cleaning/

it was good to know how they were running before & after. there was a great improvment in flow rate etc....

I ran mine through an ultrasonnic cleaner myself a few times 1st but as i left them with no fuel in when i put them back in the car one failed so i bit the bullet and went to autotronix so the "before" figures were after the DIY treatment.

I got the same idea as you Stonejag, from a kit car mag.

Car ran for a few 100 miles at the weekend & was just lovely :)

Just as a quick tip, ultrasonic baths are actually dead cheap. Mine cost £18 off eBay and it does a stellar job. Just need to rig something to cycle the injectors open and closed while they're in the bath and you're golden...plus you are left with a bath you can clean everything else in! As an example here are two of my inlet valves...

Worth a shot if you're on a budget, I know I wouldn't have any qualms about doing mine myself :)

Stone

not too difficult to wire up an old indicator relay and battery to open/shut the injectors as they sit in an ultrasonic bath, what did you use as a cleaning liquid though?

not too difficult to wire up an old indicator relay and battery to open/shut the injectors as they sit in an ultrasonic bath, what did you use as a cleaning liquid though?

For the intake valve, I used 60/40 hot water/white vinegar, with a dash of fairy liquid. Got given a tub of 'ultrasonic fluid for carburettors' by my vapour-blaster so I'll give that a try at some point :)

Whatever you do don't use white spirit - the bath atomises it from the top surface (you can see small jets of mist coming off it!) and it gets toasty warm in use so it's not the sort of thing you want to try without the fire brigade on standby! If you have a professional unit with a sealed tank and/or vapour scavenging then it's OK, but with the small jewellery-type baths it's not safe to leave unattended. Meths may be OK, I haven't tried it. Fitting the lid nice and tightly would probably help!

The service I received from Mr Injector included changing the filters and seals (O rings), providing a before/after report on flow rates and ensuring correct spray patterns. I thought it was good value for about £70. a "satisfaction guaranteed" service is worth paying for.

Fully understand and agree, just thought it was worth pointing out an alternative :)

Stone

Posted a spare set of injectors today for a full refurb including paint, will report back.

are you using Mr injector? i've tried ringing everyday for 3 days and never get an answer.

Maybe he is more internet oriented, but i'm not too sure on what to add to cart etc

are you using Mr injector? i've tried ringing everyday for 3 days and never get an answer.

Maybe he is more internet oriented, but i'm not too sure on what to add to cart etc

Yes, called yesterday at lunch and he answered straight away.

Here's my results :- ve4ubasy.jpg

Pitty I didn't setup club member discount until after I had sent mine off, 10% off would have been nice!

Got my injectors back last week. I do have a small worry, the flow after service (avg 72) appears to be down on what Pete has got (avg 78 ).

The injectors came off my 94 VR breaker and the part numbers match what I have on my VR so I'm pretty sure they're the correct injectors.

Any thoughts?

That's s really good question..

I just checked mine and they average 81.. You would presume the larger the number, the higher the flow the better the injector... But then, I don't know what the number to aim for should be? With mine one was leaky so the flow rate was 85 before the clean/service then it dropped to 79. So possibly higher numbers could mean worn injectors?

I used some injectors from a late 97 Golf VR that had done 150k. They matched my (dec) 93 Corrado VR injectors.

Edited by P3rks

I guess injectors can wear differently depending on mileage but it would be handy to know what the flow rate should be from new.

I'll stick em in and see what results I get.

Just thinking about it I might drop Mr Injector an email and ask his advice.

Anyone else got their after service flow rates they can post?