Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

VR6 will not run when hot, why???

Could be.. but to be honest I can't hear my fuel pump priming either when I turn the ignition on. You can check the fuel pressure in the lines, however, so that's worth looking at.

So - if VAG-COM doesn't report the CPS as faulty when you're turning the engine on the starter, you have two options: fuel and spark.

If you've pulled an injector, put 12v on it and got fuel all over you, chances are the engine is getting fuel (can you smell the unburnt stuff when you try and turn it over?). As for spark, pull a spark plug, turn the engine over, see if it's getting a spark.

I'm sure there's other people here can give you better details on doing this sort of stuff, as I'm just getting this from memory...

My missus' Pug 206 was diagnosed as needing a new ECU a short while ago. We traced it to the immobiliser failing to unlock the ECU properly (i.e. nothing to do with the £650 ECU!!). Corrado's have the same issues with the OE immobiliser. If it's not been removed, it's worth trying a different key, and swapping the immobiliser aerial in the steering column.

hello again, Can anyone help me please i still cant get the vr started? It turns over, catchs for a second, spluters then nothing? :mad:

haven't had the chance to plug it in cos i cant start the bloody thing to take it to vw. yeah all the leads are on properley i just had all that changed.

Sounds like you're gonna have to get it towed. Do you have RAC/AA membership? They'll do random towings for you if you want. They might even be able to offer remedial advice too.

Ring 'em up and join, then call 'em again a day later to get them to come to the car....

yeah i've got AA but the bastards wont get it from me house, it has to 1 mile away or some shit like that. i'll have to tow it meself wont i.

Hi,

I had the exact same problem when I bought my golf. Got it cheap, guy had run it REALLY hot when matrix blew so I had to replace engine, complete rebuild anyway.

Got it all started, ran lovely and smooth, not a problem.

Took it for a test drive, GUTLESS doesnt discribe it!!! Got back quite annoyed cause of all the work, turned it off and had a look under the bonnet, nothing seemed out of place, tried starting it, it just turned over and over and over.

Tried a few things, crank sensor, new brain, temp sensors, no difference, took it to Vdub had a chat with a mechanic there and he threw it on the machine, G28 (crankshaft sensor) and camshaft sensor both came up, replace crank sensor again, no difference, replaced camshaft sensor and sorted the problem, hope this helps you.

Thanks for sharing that Bugs.

What a crying shame you spent all that cash tracking it down to a £28 cam sensor.

The engine will run without a cam sensor by the way. The ECU just loads the "Chuck loads of fuel in and retard the ignition to f#ck" emergency map.

This just goes to show what a good investment the £150 VAG-COM system is if you've got a VR.

K

LOL, yeah you're not kidding.

Mine ran but just refused to start after it was warm, let me know if you have any luck in sorting it, I only got mine working again last night, had a lot of the spare parts anyway cause i had bought a VR6 lump for a mk2 conversion, wasnt too expensive thank goodness.I was watching your post for some help, hoping someone else had a clue.

Good Luck,

Hope it does help you, its nasty being in that situation.

Let me know.

[ the vast majority of cars with rev counters take the reading from the alternator.

no they dont.

they take the signal from the coil generally.

counting the pulses iirc.

alright

New to this site and have read all of your posts, am really intrested in the vr6 stalling as mine does it too.

I find with mine as slowing down to junctions etc it stalls, then turn the electrics on and i should get a short burst of fuel from the pump but am not, it constantly buzz's so i have to keep turn the ignition electrics on and off untill it stops and then the engine will start. But somtimes i have to leave it for a bit cos it floods itself. Can any one help pleeeeeeease.

oh yes took it to VW for dianostic check that said hall sender so changed the coil pack was good for a week then s*** again. HELP! :x

Not sure wether you've fixed this yet and whether it is the case but if you managed to start the car after pressurising the fuel system a few times then it coul be being caused by a lift pump failure.

Not sure whether its the same on a VR as it is on a Valver but on a Valver you have two fuel pumps a lifter and a main one and if the smaller pump fails then for some reason the second one cannot cope with the demand (but did on mine for months!) and tends to buzz constantly.

I have been following this and similar posts for a while now, because my car is suffering from the same symptons. I'm absolutely useless with car diy :oops: so I don't understand some of the fienr points of this thread but here goes - sorry if I'm repeating stuff but I need some advice. On the same day my aux water pump died and was bypassed temporarily so I could get the aux pump fro m the stealers (coincidence?)

I had major problems starting the car after a run whilst the engine was warmed up. It happened one more time a month ago - each time it would fire up, then splutter and die. Pressing the gas had no effect. (I posted somerwhere but can't find it.) Now yesterday and today it has been doing it almost from cold - it died about 200 metres from my house luckily I had just pulled in to a petrol station so I just sat there trying evry few mnutes and eventually it started up after about 15 minutes. (this was a bit embarrasing because people were looking at me thinking 'He's run out of fuel and he's at a petrol station - Why doesn't the fool just put some fuel in??' :oops: Anyway started up fine this evening and it died about a minute later and took about 20 minutes to restart. And died again a few times.

Sorry for the long story all I need to know is what should I try and in what order - bearing in mind cost - I'm a student :( Can anybody some up what's been said in this and similar posts (no names Kev ;) ) By the way it's almost due a service so should I do that at the same time or get this done first?

I have been following this and similar posts for a while now, because my car is suffering from the same symptons. I'm absolutely useless with car diy :oops: so I don't understand some of the fienr points of this thread but here goes - sorry if I'm repeating stuff but I need some advice. On the same day my aux water pump died and was bypassed temporarily so I could get the aux pump fro m the stealers (coincidence?)

I had major problems starting the car after a run whilst the engine was warmed up. It happened one more time a month ago - each time it would fire up, then splutter and die. Pressing the gas had no effect. (I posted somerwhere but can't find it.) Now yesterday and today it has been doing it almost from cold - it died about 200 metres from my house luckily I had just pulled in to a petrol station so I just sat there trying evry few mnutes and eventually it started up after about 15 minutes. (this was a bit embarrasing because people were looking at me thinking 'He's run out of fuel and he's at a petrol station - Why doesn't the fool just put some fuel in??' :oops: Anyway started up fine this evening and it died about a minute later and took about 20 minutes to restart. And died again a few times.

Sorry for the long story all I need to know is what should I try and in what order - bearing in mind cost - I'm a student :( Can anybody some up what's been said in this and similar posts (no names Kev ;) ) By the way it's almost due a service so should I do that at the same time or get this done first?

sounds to be your (blue)coolant temp sensor............its i think either called G38 or G62 :oops: :oops: (sorry forgot which)and is all of under £10 and 10 mins labour to replace......if you can get your C hooked up to VAG-COM and have the faults checked

Right got the part from gsf because I couldn't be bothered to wait for the stealer to order it in. Where is it located and how do I change it? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

It's in the thermostat housing. You'll see a row of three sensors on the stat housing, the blue one is the middle one IIRC but that's not important. You'll need to slide the circlip out, pull the sensor and replace as quickly as poss to minimise coolant spillage. Make sure the expansion cap is off the coolant bottle to relieve pressure first and do it with tepid coolant, the seals will be softer then.

K

Hmm. I just realised I'm thinking of the aux water pump, where is the thermostat housing? By the expansion tank?

EDIT - it's ok found it in another post!