jaded2882

Blackberry VR6 Turbo 4WD- now for sale £7,800

I didn't think the boost had been turned up that much though: isn't it running around 310bhp, so I'd imagine under 300lb/ft torque. Is there a LSD in the box?

Will be interesting to see what's happened for sure. Fingers crossed it's something simple!

If the noise goes / changes when the clutch is pressed, it kind of does suggest it's gearbox or clutch related unfortunately.

As Coullstar says, a fat midrange and 4x4 kills the gearbox. VRTs normally spin the excess torque away as they're FWD, but in 4WD, the gearbox has to absorb ALL of it if the tyres grip and clutch doesn't slip.

20mpg!! Is the geometry OK? Ah, you're running a syncro rear beam? I heard they run shed loads of toe. My VRT returned 27mpg overall and that was 400hp :D

I didn't think the boost had been turned up that much though: isn't it running around 310bhp, so I'd imagine under 300lb/ft torque. Is there a LSD in the box

Will be interesting to what's happened for sure. Fingers crossed it's something simple!

Ye the boost is fairly low but no lsd.

---------- Post added at 5:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:13 PM ----------

If the noise goes / changes when the clutch is pressed, it kind of does suggest it's gearbox or clutch related unfortunately.

As Coullstar says, a fat midrange and 4x4 kills the gearbox. VRTs normally spin the excess torque away as they're FWD, but in 4WD, the gearbox has to absorb ALL of it if the tyres grip and clutch doesn't slip.

20mpg!! Is the geometry OK? Ah, you're running a syncro rear beam? I heard they run shed loads of toe. My VRT returned 27mpg overall and that was 400hp :D

Ye it's all syncro stuff as far as I know. I'm sure I could well beat 20mpg, but it is a second car so only gets driven about once a week so I go for it :-) I had a bit more of a mess with it today and it feels like the gearbox as I could get it out of reverse without a load of rocking!

I'm sure even a turbo, 4x4 VR can do better than 20mpg on a decent long cruise.

What an awesome plaything .. :)

Matt,

I am gutted it has happened again. I think I became so worried after doing it the first time when the box was rebuilt in 1st & 2nd gear I was extremely careful only really going once 3rd gear was reached. It was in 2nd and going for it on my both occasions. Lets hope it's not to bad. I must say if it had happened to me again then I would have researched the possibility of a derv box from something or gone quaife. Good luck matey

One thing I cant get my head around is why the box has VR6 internals and not the 4motion internals the box came with. Would make sense to keep the box as a whole really :shrug:

Its a syncro box.

On the first page there is a photo with the car spec and it says Mk4 4motion gear box, unless im miss reading it

Matt,

I am gutted it has happened again. I think I became so worried after doing it the first time when the box was rebuilt in 1st & 2nd gear I was extremely careful only really going once 3rd gear was reached. It was in 2nd and going for it on my both occasions. Lets hope it's not to bad. I must say if it had happened to me again then I would have researched the possibility of a derv box from something or gone quaife. Good luck matey

Ye I think it will be an upgrade of some kind. It's going back to DG end of next week so I will see what Graham finds and assuming the box is dead then I'll take his advice on where to go with upgrading.

---------- Post added at 4:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:24 PM ----------

On the first page there is a photo with the car spec and it says Mk4 4motion gear box, unless im miss reading it

As far as I know it's a 4 mo box. Not that I'd know the difference but I'm pretty sure Graham said that the other day. And I've no idea why they didn't leave the 4 mo gears in!

I have been corresponding with the original owner of this. Turns out he has an RS4 as well as well as a few other toys now. Still has his RWD rear engined VRT Mk1 Golf as well.

Ye, I did email him to let him know I had it and hewas glad it was still on the road. If we are talking bout the same guy that is? Jeff I think it was, one of the owners of Pipeworks with Ian, both ex Dubsport.

That was the guy who built it anyway, you might mean Nick as I know he had all kinds of tasty stuff!

It's back....

And it sounds like a touring car :)

Videos to follow, I have a very busy weekend but hopefully more of an update next week.

It's back....

And it sounds like a touring car :)

Videos to follow, I have a very busy weekend but hopefully more of an update next week.

Great news, looking forward to the vids...

It was the first dry and free weekend I have had for a while, so I gave it a clean and polish as the new car cover has arrived. It's a bit pricey but fits like a glove and looks like it will hold the elements out:

http://www.everycarcovered.com/138-all-year-protection/71-all-year-protection-car-cover.html

I got a few videos of the 6 speed Quaife in action as well!

The first one is a very shaky passenger view! But it gives a fair idea of the noise from the inside:

Then a couple of fly bys:

And winding down: