Peebee

3 points, maybe?

Plop onto the doormat it came, hitting the ground like a clap of thunder, the speeding fine had arrived! 42 in a 30, gutted!

Anyway, the reasoning behind this post is that I've had this fine come through and I've been given the option of doing a driving awareness course. Has anyone had the privilege of doing this course? And what it entails?

I look forward to hearing your thought.

You have to take a day off work and pay for the course (around £80 or £90 if I recall). Then spend the day in a classroom listening to the risks of speeding, etc.

If you were doing 42 in a 30 then your lucky to get the option of the test over the points. Usually they only offer it if your only marginally over the limit.

Was offered one a few years back, it was £105 and 30 miles away, took the 3 points instead of being treated like Ian Huntley for an afternoon!!

just got one as well...lol it takes 4 hours and no pass or fail just turn up and listen

depends if you already have points. i dont have any so would probably just take them.. im not very good in a classroom environment :)

My wife did the course when she was naughty in her Disco. Said it was just a chat, some coffee and few motoring questions that anyone should know. I think if you have no points currently, then it is probably 50/50 whether worth doing, but if you have more than that, definitely do the course, as might be less than the extra insurance premium.

Also surprised you got offered it as thought it was limited to speed limit + 10mph, but perhaps that differs by area.

Not sure on doing mine, i`m a driving instructor and imagine i`ll get some stick......lmfao...!!

Not sure on doing mine, i`m a driving instructor and imagine i`ll get some stick......lmfao...!!

Lmao you poor bugger. This will be my first 3, had 6 years ago but they're all gone. Anyone know how much it's likely to effect my insurance? I did a quick check and it worked out at £30 a year more, that's noting but that's on my daily policy, I dread to think what they'll think on my modded Corrado policy. :-(

It depends on the local authority. I did one about 18 months ago, and it was £60 for the course, or £60 fine and 3 points, so it was a bit of a no brainer at the time. I was doing 36 in a 30. Unfortunately 2 weeks after the course I got caught in Bristol (again) on the ring road by a mobile camera doing 69 in a 50, (in my defence parts of it are 70 and others are 50 so I was unaware). It should tell you, or provide a web address to where the centres are located, prices for the course, and ask you what dates are best for you. Your not treated like a crim on them, at the end of the day you were just speeding. They are very informal, with tea and biscuits, bit of a powerpoint presentation, group discussions, and a few very basic questions.

i have done 3 of these courses, it used to be that my area were the only people that did it, and no matter were u are from u have to go to upper hayford base to do the course, might be others doing it now, im not sure, i did mine while at work, said had a meeting, it only last 2-3 hours when i did it, bassicaly you cant fail. u just sit there, sometimes its quite a laugh as now u get like wireless remotes to do the surveys they ask you, wel worth doing over getttin the points imo!

i have done 3 of these courses,

They must think "Oh god, not him again" :D

3 points is 3 points. Steeper ins premium and 3 farkun years to come off your license. I'd take the course every time.

Think if you get caught again in a certain time frame something like 12 months they will whack you with the 3 points and then the 3 from the second offence meaning the money you paid for the course is lost.

just do the course mate.... yeah its a day off work & a bit of a drag but it beats 3 points. you never know you may get more points in future & end up wishing you had taken this oportunity to avoid them.

They must think "Oh god, not him again" :D

3 points is 3 points. Steeper ins premium and 3 farkun years to come off your license. I'd take the course every time.

haha, WELL!

FIRST week of driving, got t-boned @ 70mph ending in a rolled a mazda 323f in a ditch..... this was cause for course one, "young drivers awareness"

Second time i was driving my boss's E200 and got caught on the phone, this was cause for course two, "phone awareness"

Third time i was doing 37mph in a 30... this was cause for course three.... "speed awareness"

haha i should see if i can get a loyalty card, or at least get nectar points or something!

Next you can run some bollards over and go on a "Street furniture awareness" course :D

Haha, like what you did with the nectar 'points' there :D

I would definitely do the course - points stay on your licence for years and you'll get hit on insurance too. Also you never know when you might get more points - would be a disaster if you got 12 and a ban!

I've done one course. I found it surprisingly good (although that's no guarantee yours will be) It did not feel like being sat in a class room at all. Some good tips on how to be more aware of speed and the consequences. I won't say I'm a saint now but I have definitely slowed down in urban 30mph zones. The decrease in survival rates for pedestrians being hit is fairly dramatic at speeds above 30mph.

I had to do one of the courses last year got caught doing 52 in a 40,

i did the course which was held at a local golf course! wasn't sure what to expect? turned out to be quite a laugh and a varied age group!! the people who did the course didn't treat you like a crim or anything like that, they just highlighted some facts that i should of remembered and taught me some that i reckon are part of the newer driving test!! has certainly made me more aware of my speed specially in built up areas,

but i suppose the best thing about the course is no points and you don't have to tell your insurance company that you got caught either :) the only down side is you can't do another course for 3 years after so would mean points if you got caught again :(

Definitely do the course! A one off payment and few hours instead of 5 years of declaring points and paying higher premiums on your insurance.

You are lucky to be offered it at that speed in a 30. Snap it up!

I did it a few years back. Choices were;

£60 and 3 points

£90, course, no points

Sat in a classroom for 3 hours watching a powerpoint presentation about how speed kills etc and then went out and drove round for a few hours in a Golf TDI and the instructor gave a few tips about driving style, habbits etc

*side note, the buffet was the best i have EVER seen. Prob not like that now but i could see where my extra £30 went :)

I hope you tried to wheelspin the golf off the line, right in the middle if the course :D