Jim Bowen

Iphone 4S vs Iphone 4 & Galaxy S2

there's no denying that apple products "just work"

been using a new iPad for some months now, I agree they are nice pieces of kit especially when you compare directly with other tablets on the market but it has it's faults even in 3rd generation, it's impossible to hold without adding a case that ruins the design aesthetics, it's heavy and Safari regularly just shuts down when navigating between web pages, there's numerous other glitches too and don't get me started on the frustration of actually getting stuff on and off it, try posting on the forum with pictures from your phone for instance, my 5 year old linux netbook is more user friendly, so they're by no means perfect.

Apple have serious competition on price, performance and quality for all their products now but somehow the average public has got 'apple is the best and one to have' quite firmly stuck in their heads and miss a lot of great products as a result.

It's no different to the car buyer that religiously sticks to one marque though, without looking at the cost, reliability, spec etc... just assuming that as they are paying a lot of money they will get the best and the badge will impress the girls hanging around at the kebab shop (other fast food outlets are available and may offer better price/performance).

Well not all apple lovers are sheep. I have a 4S, I won’t be upgrading as there’s no point. I have an IPad2. I won’t be upgrading as there’s no point. I have a windows laptop and desktop. and my phone certainly isn’t a fashion accessory as I have is wrapped in a black protective sticker so much so you can’t see anything apple related printed on it at all. I like apple stuff as there easy to use, millions of people use them so the app store is rammed, if you can think it there’s an app for it and they last a long time (providing you’re not a goon and drop it in a glass of water)

It's this sort of thing that really confuses me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/electronics/9549228/iPhone-5-sends-Apple-juggernaut-into-overdrive.html

And, to some extent, I agree with our Sunderland friend. What's the point of spending potentially £700 just to have/be seen with the latest thing? And even worse, the idiots who queue up for 12 hours to get their hands on one, probably because they can't even wait for the damn Postie to arrive :nuts:

Yes I do have an iPad but it's the first generation and until they actually do something else a bit more groundbreaking with it, I won't be upgrading. Oooh 7% thinner and 2% lighter and the battery life is extended by 3 minutes. So what. Ok the new ones have a better display and a camera. But I have a camera. It's called, a camera.

But in general the iPad is a wonderful device. I've just bought a new Yamaha AV receiver (home cinema amp to you and I) and there's an app that lets me control everything from my iPad. Including streaming all of my music to the speakers hooked up to the amp.

And the Macbook Pro. If you price up a new one with the fancy retina screen and add a few minor upgrades, you're easily knocking on the door of £2k+. There's no way in hell I'll spend that much. I have a decent spec 15" MBP and I paid a Windows laptop price for it. And it will probably do me for the next 4 years.

So it's for that reason that I dislike this apparent douchebag label that automatically means that if you buy Apple stuff you're a turd.

Hmm. When that started I was only going to post a link. Like most things in my life it turned into an angry meandering rant.

This is sort of the point I was trying to make. I dislike the notion that says EVERY person why buys an Apple product is a sheep and buys it purely because it's an Apple product. It's entirely possible to just buy the products on their own merits and not be suckered into replacing your phone EVERY year and buying the latest version of every expensive product they produce. And that's sort of the point I was making about the convenience of syncing media, etc. It just does it quite well and painlessly and if you're not super technical then it's easy.

My work phone is a regular iPhone 4 and it works just fine and doesn't feel out of date at all.. does everything I need, does Exchange email really well compared to how Android handled it, and lasts really well too battery wise. On the flip side of that I've no real interest in any other Apple products... I have a really old iPod Nano which I never use because it means using iTunes, and I have a Mac Pro (Dual G5) that I took home from work as it was getting scrapped.. that's about it.

Safari regularly just shuts down when navigating between web pages,

IOS 4 & 5 suffer from memory leaks. I think you can get an app that tells you what's running in the background and how much memory is being consumed. And to add more fuel to the hate campaign, Apple still refuse to allow Safari to render flash web pages, which can also cause random website closures. Sometimes a factory restore can solve little niggles like this, but not always.

Let's just hope IOS 6 addresses some of the general performance issues, but I doubt it.

id still rather **** myself off with razor wire than own one though, the order just proves how sad and hyped people are,no buts no nothing it is not the best phone on the market and is the most expensive so **** that **** im a wolf not a sheep and i have this thing called common sence.

How exactly do you quantify 'best phone on the market?'

Thinner? Lighter? Better screen? Better camera? Better benchmark tests? Better software? Better Apps?

From what I've read your criteria of 'Better' is rather different to mine. Luckily there is more than one product on the market to fulfil our differing needs.

/\ exactly. Anything that's subjective can't be defined as the 'best'.

As someone mentioned previously, XX millions of iPhone users can't all be wrong. And 2 million IP5 pre-orders already, despite the fact it's not what people hoped for? That requires a lot more analysis than simply calling people sheep.

Personally I'm done with iPhones but I still rate the hardware. It really is the Bang & Olufsen of the phone world. No other handset comes close to it's quality feel and robustness imo. Anything can be broken though, especially fragile smartphones, but iPhones in my experience can withstand a lot of abuse.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

How exactly do you quantify 'best phone on the market?'

Thinner? Lighter? Better screen? Better camera? Better benchmark tests? Better software? Better Apps?

From what I've read your criteria of 'Better' is rather different to mine. Luckily there is more than one product on the market to fulfil our differing needs.

Fpr me i see every good electrical product as fully customistable so the inital menu's and set-up etc within reason is irrelevant but its just what drives the items and spec that do it for me as everything else can be tweaked to suit. I guess i look at it as value for money and like buying a laptop,you want the best internal possible. i can see why people buy the stuff but for me it is simply overpriced for what it is so ill not bother,where the older phones we out i chose my x10 over it as its processor was meant to be better along with the camera and stoarage capabilities and it worked awesome but was £200 quid less that an iphone

I have never owned an iPhone but I do have a macbook pro and my wife has had a series of Macs and iMacs. I have, however, owned several Android phones and my current one is a Samsung Galaxy Note which is like an S2/S3 on steroids. I really love this device and I use it for so much. I couldn't move to an iPhone now until they increase the screen size, improve the GPS chip and add a faster processor. I also can't stand the thought of being locked into itunes.

I do, however, agree that the hardware feels more strudy and of a higher quality than most other devices. But to me that is superficial and I prefer to have the better internals and larger screen.

AlsoI think it is better if you pick one ecosystem and get your devices around that. So if you have mutliple Apple products and like itunes then an iPhone makes sense. But Google based products work fine for me and when I changed phones recently all I had to do was log in to the new phone and my contacts were instantly available and many of the customisations I'd made on the previous phone (such as wallpaper) were also brought down onto the new phone. The icing on the cake is the freedom to install pretty much what I want without Apple having to agree to it.

Apple for show.

Android for go :D

Edited by Portent

Just so everyone is aware. On iphone when setting up gmail. Dont use built in gmail POP! Just select Exchange and hook up your gmail account. It will then sync your gmail contacts, calendars and emails perfectly fine with iphone ;)

Also safari stinks big time even on iOS devices. I thought whole world is using Chrome by now (or Opera mini on smartphones).

Just trying to download IOS6. 2 hours to do approx 30% so far :lol:

One good thing about Apple IOS I suppose: it works on all phones. Current and old. I think Android software is model specific? Icecream sandwich, Blueberry pie and all that nonsense.

It's Apple's 40th birthday in 2016 and to celebrate, it's rumoured they are cooking up something very special indeed. Here's an early sneak peek:

ok then ...

that's pretty funny actually, especially the bit about your parents are going to love the ip5, the death of coolness for anything.

Here's a little something for corrado_sunderlands amusement

love that too, I've actually seen that in action, old codgers in John Lewis holding the iPad2 telling each other how amazing the new iPad looks, to be fair for most people the screen clarity improves most by them simply putting their glasses on :lol: