jpowell79

water filling up footwell behind drivers seat from somewhere??

Hi guys,

anyone had experience of the footwell behind the drivers seat filling up with water.

Every time its wet and rainy I get a puddle of water behind the drivers seat. I am forever mopping it out and putting down newspaper to absorb it. It's been like this for a couple of months, but last weekend I decided to investigate.

The water seems to come it mostly when I'm driving round in the rain, rather than when the car is static, so I presume its coming in from the rear wheel arch somewhere, and the wheel is flicking the water into a hole when driving through the rain.

So I got underneath the rear driver side wheel and had a look. I couldn't see anything obvious.....so got the hose out and sprayed the water constantly up into the arch to see if I could hear or see where the water was coming in from.

Nothing.

So then I though maybe its coming in from a different angle.....so did the same for the drivers front wheel arch...again nothing.

So I went round all the seams and sills on the car.....sunroof, doors, boot, etc.......still can't find it.

This is really puzzling me......is there anywhere obvious I might have missed? Its really annoying because I am forever mopping it, and the rain water stinks the car out!

Any suggestions?

cheers guys

my guess is drivers door card membrane. if it was passenger side i'd be saying foliage cover, but drivers side is likely to be door card.

other options, sunroof blocked channels & wiindscreen but less likely.

It'll probably be coming in the front and running back.

Take the A pillar cover off and check for water coming in the side of the windscreen and running down the pillar to the floor and then running back.

Check for any dampness at all under your drivers side mat. The channels run back so any water that comes in the front will drain to the rear, hence creating the puddle in the rear footwell. This will give you an indication as to how far forward the water is actuallt coming in. Also, do you park facing downward on a slight incline? This could be why you dont notice it as much when the car has been standing......

I recently fixed a leak in the passenger rear footwell, had me stumped for ages until I removed the carpet. I found that the under carpet padding made a channel for the water to travel towards the central tunnel and run along it, pooling in the back.

If it's been happening for a while then your under carpet padding is most likely mouldy and ruined, so it might be worth replacing.

I recently fixed a leak in the passenger rear footwell, had me stumped for ages until I removed the carpet. I found that the under carpet padding made a channel for the water to travel towards the central tunnel and run along it, pooling in the back.

If it's been happening for a while then your under carpet padding is most likely mouldy and ruined, so it might be worth replacing.

Yeah the green padding stuff is definitely ruined.......I was pulling some of it out like wet cotton wool. Where was the actual source of the water coming in from in your case?

It was the foliage cover - it had cracked somehow. Not much help in your case! Although a strip down would be beneficial :)

turned out to be the rubber plug that holds the bonnet cable in place under the bonnet on the drivers side! The water was running through the hole and down behind the fuse box!

All sorted.

that's a new one on me, we could do with a sticky thread on all the potential leak points on a Corrado!

i was kinda thinking the same thing, every other week theres a leak thread and everyone kinda mentions the same things...

i fixed the same leak on my vr6 not long ago, turned out to be the perished windscreen seal. i just used some black silicone and smoothed it all in, cant tell its been done