dil

R32 Corrado

A quick drive in one will reveal why :D

When you're talking bang per buck modifications on the Corrado, the R32 sits way below forced induction financially and in the real world, it's not that much slower. I do miss my old VR6 turbo engine as it had 50-100 acceleration that upset Gallardos, but to get that engine to a level I was happy with in terms of reliability, it cost me several thousand. A complete R32 conversion, fully mapped etc will come in at around £2K, maybe £2.5K if done super neatly, depending on the cost of the donor engine.

Now that is a very attractive price for a conversion. R32 engines arent too pricey now, as compared to a year ago, maybe the cost of petrol is putting people off buying them. That said, i think you mentioned that if driven conservatively you could get over 30mpg from it? In my books that pretty impressive for a big block. Might be on the lookout for an engine now...

Should get more than that. A conversion if done correctly will be no less relaible than a normal car. In fact if you have a newish engine and ancillaries it will probably be more reliable. My 24v gave me no reliablility issues at all. The instant throttle response from the 24v cars is what makes them better IMO.

Now that is a very attractive price for a conversion. R32 engines arent too pricey now, as compared to a year ago, maybe the cost of petrol is putting people off buying them. That said, i think you mentioned that if driven conservatively you could get over 30mpg from it? In my books that pretty impressive for a big block. Might be on the lookout for an engine now...

Yep, driven 'normally' I saw an average of 32mpg after Vince remapped it and when babying it (sticking to the speed limits and early upshifts) I saw 35-36 mpg. To put that into perspective, the Alfa 147 2.0 I'm currently using matches that if driven equally sedately. Quite incredible really that a 3.2 litre 260hp engine can match the economy of a 2.0 engine making 150hp. But obviously, stick your toe down in the 32 and you'll see as low as 15mpg easily :lol:

Modified Corrados tend to be weekend toys anyway but there is also the 2.0 TFSi conversion, which is popular at the moment. Good economy, good spread of torque and good power. Especially from the K04 turboed flavour. The only downside is they sound like a sack of spanners at idle and a lot of them drink oil like it's going out of fashion.

They dont get that good an mpg either. Probably 3-5mpg better than the R32 and as you say sound crap when compared to the V6. I would agree an R32 is the best all round engine for the car.

The 6 pot sound is a great noise. I was wondering how much hassle, work and cost it would be to add a supercharger to one, as I think the VR noise with a charger whine would be great. Any experts out there for a suggestion.

Should get more than that. A conversion if done correctly will be no less relaible than a normal car. In fact if you have a newish engine and ancillaries it will probably be more reliable. My 24v gave me no reliablility issues at all. The instant throttle response from the 24v cars is what makes them better IMO.

But when you read the constant tweaking that these guys are doing with the r32 conversions then its not all simple...like i`ve said each to their own but when a good corrado r32 has just sold for 4500 the figures dont stack up for me...

The 6 pot sound is a great noise. I was wondering how much hassle, work and cost it would be to add a supercharger to one, as I think the VR noise with a charger whine would be great. Any experts out there for a suggestion.

The R32's bottom end torque lends itself well to a Rotrex, which only kicks in quite high up the midrange. I reckon a standard 6psi non-intercooled kit would bag you about 350hp. As for fitment in a Corrado. It's a tightly squeezed in package in the MK4/MK5, so should be interesting in a Corrado. It's been done though, afailk.

I agree with C5 OEM. Supering, Turboing, then R32ing was very enjoyable and it wasn't all about the money for me, being my main hobby and all that, but I won't be doing it again! Having watched values of Corrados sink through the floor in recent years, I can't really justify that kind of expenditure anymore. I'll be buying cars that are fast to begin with from now, because values of those have also plummeted, so makes more sense :D

I reckon the Z3M Coupe is one of few cars that will have the same blend of insanity, endearing character, rarity and compact dimensions as a highly modded Corrado.

I totally agree in not spending a lot on modifying them now however a ready done one where the original owner has taken the hit is still worth buying.

Z3M was something I considered a while back for the reasons above. My daily is now a 6cyl Beemer and its is good fun, particularly when comming off roundabouts. :)

Drove my mates 11 plate carrera 4s last week and so started looking at the prices of porsche`s..... the 996 seem really cheap for the performance but dont know a great deal about them

Drove my mates 11 plate carrera 4s last week and so started looking at the prices of porsche`s..... the 996 seem really cheap for the performance but dont know a great deal about them

It's incredible what sorts of cars you can buy under £10,000 these days... I know the 996 has gotten there now, good examples of Boxters, M3's, M5's, Audi S4's / S6's / S8's, etc... it's mental. I bought an Octavia VRS for the same money I could have bought a good E39 M5 for but was terrified of potential expenditure so figured the Octavia was a safer bet! :)

Don't know but this is the third time he's cancelled and restarted the sale on eBay

He says in the description though the car will come with 12months MOT how can that be if its incomplete?

I know places that'll do MOT's without even seeing the car!

Either that or he got the mot a couple of weeks ago. Was thinking of getting it and then ripping engine out to put in mine but always concerned about someone else's half done project. Do you trust them and carry on or start again. Either way can be more time consuming than doing the lot yourself as if you trust them then it falls apart afterwards because of their work arghhh

I'm with you on that one , if I can't purchase one from a member on this forum, I'll look into doing an r32 build myself.

Just looked at that eBay ad - definitely a bit strange that as far as I can see it doesn't mention that the conversion isn't complete, but why would you put a photo of a half built engine on the ad rather than the finished install if it is in a condition fit to pass an mot??!!!

Ps got to be wary of someone selling a car and not even being able to spell the model name...!

Edited by pbradley98

After owning my 20v mk2 which I loved to drive but hated to fix i`m put right off converted cars.... I just don`t see the point in spending all that money in adding 70bhp and most of the time having issues along side it..

Each to their own but i`d rather just buy a fast car if that makes sense...??!!

I'm with you mate...

Bog standard cars for me from now (engine/brakes wise).