Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

VR6 Engines

What are the most common faults with VR6 Engines, and oh how much of a job is it to change the sump gasket.

cheers all!

Timing chains/tensioners needing replaced around 85k+.

Clutch can be an expensive job if you're paying someone else.

Sump gasket sholdn't be too hard, by all accounts.

Oil leaks...

blue temp sensor

crank sensors

coil packs

gear linkage

mostly the chains.

sump gasket is easy

Plus bore wear and head/valve problems that can crop up at anything from 85k + miles...

There's a lot of replacement engines out there.

be aware that the parts are also horrendously expensive. I've spent £500 in the dealer in the last month on engine bits and bobs and daft clips, bolt snad generally nothing.

I find the general odds and sods for the VR aren't much dearer than the other engines, it's just the ridiculous price for the crank sensor that needs investigating by the daylight robbery team.

Piston slap and camshaft wear being 2 more for the list. Although most VRs I've heard suffer from slapping. BMW sixes do it aswell, so no major issue.

Listen for diesel like clatter in the mornings for about 15 seconds.

Listen for diesel like clatter in the mornings for about 15 seconds.

Is that all? Mine does that for about a minute or so.

Don't worry about it mate. It's a physics thing. Cold alloy on cast iron. Give it a minute or so and your pistons expand nicely :lol: You think yours is bad, try forged pistons!!!

Yours might be camshaft rattle.

I've had a few 6 cylinder cars and they all make a diesel clatter from cold.

You should have heard my old cavalier with 150k miles of thrashage on it..

That was the kinda car where you could really really tell when you put fresh oil in..

VR6 timing chains/tensioner at 85K?

VW service manager told me (not that I believe everything they say) that there is no interval specified as it should give service for ages.

And there was me thinking I was getting up to date with everything that needed done!

Mine has full VWSH and 97K. What are some of you mucho experienced guys' views on when to replace the chain/tensioner?

No there is no "specified" service interval, *but* the people that actually work on these engine, i.e. not VW, know that the upper tensioner is good for 100K, max. The trouble is the plastic pad on the upper tensioner is fine to 85K, and then the chains start to eat through it. Believe me, my upper tensioner went from being fine at 85K to completely worn within 10,000 miles. I'm at 93K now and it's booked in for the job because I've got roughly 500 miles left before the chains eat through the top two rivets.

At 97K dude, you should be at the very least lifting your manifold to check the upper tensioner. If you can see two deep scores in it, be prepared for 8 hours labour to put it right.

K

I'll get me coat.

No need to get your coat at all. It's just that what we advise comes from experience, not speculation from a dealer that doesn't even know what a Corrado is.

If you've got funny rattling noises coming from the right hand side of your rocker cover, your chains need doing :cry:

K

At 97K dude, you should be at the very least lifting your manifold to check the upper tensioner. If you can see two deep scores in it, be prepared for 8 hours labour to put it right.

Hmmm I'm on 98k now with no records to say this has been done, bug*er! :(

If you've got funny rattling noises coming from the right hand side of your rocker cover, your chains need doing

So could that also be what wakes the neighbours first thing in the morning? :?

Thanks Kevhaywire

Your opinion and any others are indeed most welcome. Who knows what's going on under that cover!

Have any of you guys been on that USA Corrado forum where they talk loads about chain and tensioner noise?

One keen type has even posted a sound recording of the chain running with noisy tensioner.

I got the impression they feel you get some warning with noisiness (which I dont have). However, just as on this site, there were lots of anxious sighs from guys on the forum who had high-mileage vehicles and had not had a chain/tensioner change.

The previous owner of my car (from new) a now-retired lecturer in a posh private school in Edinburgh did about 95K in 7 years and was meticulous about oil changes and servicing. He and his wife went down to Spain in the C every year with 2 young grandchildren and I am counting on him not having thrashed the vehicle so that I have inherited a VR6 with low running costs! (if only!)

... VR6 with low running costs! (if only!)

Sorry but "Corrado" and "low running costs" are mutually exclusive! ;-) :cry:

I did a quick calculation after my first year of Corrado ownership in Feb. and it didn't look too bad, but since then (as fate intervened!) I've had a knackered belt tensioner (car stuck on side of Motorway and RAC rescue :roll:), front engine mount gone and engine hitting bonnet :cry: and now sticking rear brake caliper....

However, I think everyone will agree, even as a fickle & fragile money pit, you wouldn't want to be driving anything else :-) :evil:

Yes. I am trying to be blind to the inevitable as far as running costs go.

I persuaded my wife to get me a Vibratechnics front engine mount for last Christmas so I shouldnt have your bulging bonnet problem stormseeker.

Mrs was a bit disappointed when she saw my Christmas toy, though, I think she had expected exciting times in the bedroom again.

There are no hard and fast rules with the tensioner, but as a precaution, at around the 95K mark, I would recommend you spend a couple of hours on a sunny day with some tools and have a look!

Mrs was a bit disappointed when she saw my Christmas toy, though, I think she had expected exciting times in the bedroom again.

What the hell did she think a 'Vibratechnics front engine mount' was? :roll: