OllieVR6

Tool chests...post 'em up!

I'm looking to invest in a tool chest, maybe two and I want to know what to look for when buying.

I can't afford to spend loads but I HAVE to do something about the mess, I spend 50% of all the time doing jobs on the car, look for the right tool.

Halfords do some affordable chests, are they any good?

I've just bought the 170 piece socket set from Halfords, half price at the moment. Lifetime guarantee and loads of people recomend them.

Its got pretty much everything you could need.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?78405-Another-Halfords-tool-chest-deal-Christmas-day-only-on-their-Industrial-cabinets

There will be 10% off again on new years day for reserve and collect.

A nice big roll cab and top box for sensible money, I have 2 lesser draper chests that cost me similar combined and the halfords one is better built and will hold twice the amount

Halfords often do combo deals on their chests. Their standard chests aren't that great. Their advanced stuff is worth considering. Their industrial range is very good.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

This deal is good. The Christmas day 10pc additional discount has obviously expired but it's still quite a good deal:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?78405-Another-Halfords-tool-chest-deal-Christmas-day-only-on-their-Industrial-cabinets

Halfords industrial ones (black) are worth the investment as it should do you for years - I find the cheaper stuff irritating as the drawers stick or the chests wobble around.

The pre-formed drawer liners with the tools in are also a good investment, they fit nicely, have a good range of stuff, the tools are pretty good and if you break one you can just take it back again.

I've just bought the 170 piece socket set from Halfords, half price at the moment. Lifetime guarantee and loads of people recomend them.

Its got pretty much everything you could need.

I got one of these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_langId_-1_categoryId_255215 last Christmas and it's literally the best tool kit I've ever had. Every job I do requires something from this. My only gripe is the spanners don't go big enough so I need to invest in a set of spanners that are the next size up. It's on the shopping list :)

Halfords industrial ones (black) are worth the investment as it should do you for years - I find the cheaper stuff irritating as the drawers stick or the chests wobble around.

The pre-formed drawer liners with the tools in are also a good investment, they fit nicely, have a good range of stuff, the tools are pretty good and if you break one you can just take it back again.

I like the look of the drawer liners, I don't want to replicate my current problem which is a bunch of tool boxes with varying tools all over the place, but just in drawers instead. I need the chests to be organised.

Edited by OllieVR6

Your tool chest itself is probably the most important mechanics asset, and most commonly overlooked item, when it comes to investing in the right unit. So many mechanics buy cheap poorly constructed tool chests, that quite simply don't function as required. The point you made Yan is a common failing. Over the years every mechanic, professional or amateur, will gather a huge collection of tooling, representing a considerable financial investment. These tools are key to your activity, and IMO should be regarded on an equal footing to the vehicles they maintain. So indeed when buying your tool chest don't bother with the cheapest or budget construction, buy the best quality, and focus your attention to seeking out a genuine bargain, after all it is an item that will be with you for a lifetime. This way your tools will be remain safe, ordered and to hand at an instant. My personal choice will always be Snapon Pro range. Agreed these are premium money, but undeniably the best at meeting my requirements. Furthermore should motor engineering fall from grace in your future, the Snapon product will always be readily sold. Snapon tool chests can be bought in used condition from Ebay or indeed new from dealers. Prices need not be excessive either, and I have seen numerous boxes being sold for equivalent prices with lesser quality new boxes.

Ive been looking the same and in the end i went for a cheapy for now (same as the halfords £50 cheapy stack) i got the same one but black in bandq reduced as it was the last one so £30 :D

you get what you pay for ,some cheap stuff is thin metal like a coke can and the draws flex also they dont have ball bearing runners

My wife bought me one for Christmas from B&Q on offer. It is Tactix in black, it's a two part stackable unit with 8 drawers in total and a large cupboard at the bottom suitable for power tools in boxes etc

It has a flip open top for hammers and other bulky stuff.

Quality is good, drawers slide well and cabinet is sturdy, it was reduced from £120 to 70

Ive got the halfords professional ones, they are excellent and been very impressed with them.

Like the ones pictured here

img1714ay.jpg

Ive been looking the same and in the end i went for a cheapy for now (same as the halfords £50 cheapy stack) i got the same one but black in bandq reduced as it was the last one so £30 :D

I got the one in b&q also, was reduced to £60.. so i guess its been reduced further. Not the best quality and a bit flimsy. But does the job. Just lined the draws with some rubber padding.

Being a total tooling addict and F1 fan I couldn't resist this very limited edition box, brought out to celebrate Snapon sponsorship of McClaren.a8yny7ut.jpg

Being a total tooling addict and F1 fan I couldn't resist this very limited edition box

That's the same top and bottom box my dad bought last year, but in the plain red, eye-watering even with a very good sale price! Built beautifully though :)

Being a total tooling addict and F1 fan I couldn't resist this very limited edition box, brought out to celebrate Snapon sponsorship of McClaren.

That looks great. I'm not sure why I'm finding tool chests so exciting nowadays :)

Anyway... My Halfords Industrials arrived this week and I cleared the garage for them today. One of the drawers was faulty so I swapped it for another at my local shop. They are surprisingly heavy and certainly more robust than the lower ranges of Halfords stuff I looked at. The drawers are also quite deep (ie front to back). I'm very pleased overall. The only thing I don't like about them is that the top box has a strange door locking mechanism. To unlock them you have to not only turn the key but open the top lid too. So while I've stacked some crates on top you can't do this if you want to lock and unlock the drawers frequently. The lower chest has a normal lock.

The only other downside is that they are really just for tools and apart from the very bottom drawer there isn't much room for ad-hoc boxes. But as tool chests they are great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71462[/ATTACH]

Something I noticed while transferring all my tools over from various cheap plastic boxes was that I'd not been looking after my tools as well as I should have been. Previously I've found it so frustrating trying to find the right tool that I'll grab the nearest one and make do. So living without boxes can turn into false economy as you end up buying new tools or even buying duplicates in frustration at not being able to find something.

Edited by Portent

I'm very pleased overall. The only thing I don't like about them is that the top box has a strange door locking mechanism. To unlock them you have to not only turn the key but open the top lid too. So while I've stacked some crates on top you can't do this if you want to lock and unlock the drawers frequently. The lower chest has a normal lock.

Pretty sure that's a feature with all top boxes. The lid activates a rod that passes through a slot on the back of each draw. One option I have found on my Beta top-box is to not push the drawer all the way in when closing the lid. It wil mean they are unlocked but can be opened without re-arranging the contents of the garage (or shed, as where mine lives).

However your set up looks like you have plety of space so I would leave the top clear and use as intended.

Pretty sure that's a feature with all top boxes. The lid activates a rod that passes through a slot on the back of each draw. One option I have found on my Beta top-box is to not push the drawer all the way in when closing the lid. It wil mean they are unlocked but can be opened without re-arranging the contents of the garage (or shed, as where mine lives).

However your set up looks like you have plety of space so I would leave the top clear and use as intended.

That's exactly what I've done with the drawers - just not clicked them shut. That pic was taken mid clear out. It now has a ton of crap in there, two cars and three bikes. You can hardly move around anymore :lol:

^ That feature is on all boxes but you can bypass it like I have with most of mine by driving the pin out of the 'lock' piece that goes down the middle of the back of the box and just take out that bit of metal from under the lid - have a look and you'll see what I mean...

I've got a snap-on top box, and roll cab that I brought when I was an apprentice back in the early 90s. I only keep stuff I'll need at home in it, and have a huge Lista at work. I'd need a box the size of an elephant if I had all my tools in one place. Snap-on boxes lovely, huge range, well built, and a big price tag. But resale value is good, and if you ever need anything for them, you can get spares quite easily. I've got nothing against halfords boxes, but what I would say is set your buget, and have a look on eBay before buying to see if you can buy cheaper.