Sean_Jaymo

Corrado Part Duex - 24V Aqua Blue - She's gone.

Might take you up on that. Having serious thoughts of taking the front end off and tidying up a few bits and bobs so might do it then.

What's next on your job list?

I went and had all the geometry set this afternoon and the difference it has made is impressive! It just feels fantastic and accurate. Only problem I noticed was that I had 2 small little hesitations with no real consistency. Not too concerned but I'll keep an eye on it! To test my MAF was reading accurately, I did a few runs and logged them with VCDS. I then divided the airflow by 0.8 to get rough BHP figures. I know the figures are rough and there are so many variables to impact on the accuracy of this method, but I was able to get an idea of performance.

Here is a graph of my results, Peak BHP measured at 186BHP which is within 10% of the quoted 204 Peak power so I'm happy with things as they are for now. I do have a spare MAF incase I continue to get random hesitations.

Run1Corrado24vMAFReadings_zps6cb31315.jpg

I also had the driver door fail to open. It broke in the same way as my passenger handle did when I first got it. Luckily for me, I bought a set of Daves handle repair kits last year and had the spare ready to go for when it did finally break. 15 mins later and normal service is resumed! Thumbs up to Dave!

First long distance trip out today, about a 100 miles or so and happy to say that all managed to pass largely without incident. I did however have a small (read not so small really) event when I parked up at the Peterborough meet to find there was a strange smell coming from the car. On further investigation, the plug that goes into the back of the stock fans had melted itself. The fans were a little bit rattley and sounded as if the bearing were beginning to give up after 22 years and 193k but apart from a small noise, I was happy with how they ran.

Unfortunately, something did give up and melt, be that the brushes or the bearings and to be honest it's not important. The car was safe and apart from a bit of inconvenience and a bad smell, I now have the opportunity to upgrade my fans to a nice new slimline item!

Other than that, the car ran absolutely flawlessly and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well a 24v goes and cruises.

Many thanks to MicVR for helping out and the temporary loan of fire extinguisher (which I'm pleased to report remains unused!)

Pictures for you lovers of all things image related!

Back of fan unit

20140601_192026_zpsddd3f041.jpg

Plug (or remains of it!)

20140601_192014_zps74174e01.jpg

Glad you're back ok mate, and slimline is the way forward. The 24v does suit the corrado, just a slight update in the engine department but adds a certain something in the smoothness department.

Those pics look worse than actually being there. Plus, as a few others said 'it wouldn't be a vw meet without something going pop on someone's car!'

Gutted I didnt spend more time chatting to today. Just glad that you got home OK though. Will have to gran a coffee/beer someday and have a proper look at your install.

It's all good Sam! We will organise a brew at some point! Mic and I had a look around your install and were both impressed at how you got on with yours. Looks to be almost there! A few little finishing touches and you should have a very capable car! Air aside of course :-P

ha ha Sean, nice dig. TBH I had kw v3's on it before and I dont really notice any difference with them and the air suspension. I am however a bit of a wuss with corners anyway so might be the reason why I havent seen much.

Hah! It's ok Sam, I'm one of those firmly on the non air side of the suspension debate but the rest of your car is well on it's way!

Glad it was only knackered fan and a melted plug could've been a lot worse!

Must wire mine up at the weekend!

You're telling me Chris! I was very slightly concerned hen I saw the state of things!

It's an 11" Revotec suck fan, I'm on my phone so don't have exact dimensions, but a quick look on their website will help out with further details if you want. Best price I found was from Burton Power.

A nice little side effect is that I get to ditch the half a horse worth of weight that was bolted to the radiator. The old fan and frame assembly isn't very light!

I did think about a push fan but a lot of tuners recommend pull fans as being more efficient, that and I don't want to limit myself when it comes to aircon/intercooler fitment in the future!

What are you doing about the brackets? Slimline fans are something I'll have to do with the r32 I reckon.

I'll make some up to get the fans to fit but to get the car back on the road I'm going to use those nasty through radiator fitting kits that come with the fan. Should have a set of brackets made up in a few weeks hopefully!

That is one heck of a journey you got there. I can't wait to be at the point where I have my project at the point where I can drive her; actually, I would be happy to just to turn the key and start her lol. Do you by chance plan on posting a video of her cruising?

I would, but the standard exhaust I have is silent at cruise so it would just be a video of a car going down the motorway!

Fair enough, well if you need any drawings doing to send to engineering companies let me know. I work on CAD so can do 2D and 3D drawings, in fact if you would be so kind to let me know some dimensions I can draw some up anyway for mine :thumbleft:

I'll draw you up some basic dimensions later swifty. I've got the workshops at work to make me up some brackets but thanks for the offer, it's very kind of you!

I'll look at getting some videos for you over he next few weeks or so Reca.

good stuff going on here! Swift & Sean, if you get some drawings made up for the fans I can laser cut them.