beastie4126

ABS Pumps - are they rebuildable ??

My VR6 has flashed warning lights about its ABS ever since I have owned it and after switching all of the wheel sensors it went away. The car has been reasonably stationary since last July following a house move and I have only just got to the point of being able to sort out it's niggles and get it ready for a MOT. Unfortunately even though I have pressure bled the whole braking system twice, checked the wiring and even tried getting the ABS to trigger by slamming on the brakes I keep seeing the error: 00280 - Differential Lock Valve 2 (N126) in VAG COM. I have now convinced myself that it's the valve clogged up in the ABS pump and as such wondered if anyone has ever stripped one of these down and rebuilt it with new seals etc?? Failing that is there anyone out there that offers the service?

I have two spare 2nd hand ones sitting on the shelf waiting to be done.

Yes, a couple of times though not for a Corrado. They were efficient & reasonably priced

I can second that.

They are in Rochester, Kent. They will test it for £35 + vat, and post it back for about £10. A rebuild, with a "lifetime warranty" costs about £100 + vat, with the test fee rolled into that.

Best wishes

RB

I can second that.

They are in Rochester, Kent. They will test it for £35 + vat, and post it back for about £10. A rebuild, with a "lifetime warranty" costs about £100 + vat, with the test fee rolled into that.

Best wishes

RB

Do you know hoe long it usually takes?

Mine is faulty too.

I'm sure KipVR stripped his pump down and rebuilt it, but good to know there's options out there instead of VW's answer of £1000+ VAT. If not obsolete!

I think this is a condition of not engaging the ABS frequently enough or possibly not changing the fluid often enough, which is ironic given it's a safety system. Imagine if air bags didn't deploy through lack of use :lol: Anyway, I think the valves must get sticky.

Did you bleed the system in accordance with VAG's guidelines and did you bleed the 2 nippes on the ABS pump itself?

A company called BBA remanufacturing are pretty good tel 01634687222

They rebuilt mine about 9 years ago, still going strong !

Do you know hoe long it usually takes?

Mine is faulty too.

See if you can have our lees as spare and send it off to them

I'm sure KipVR stripped his pump down and rebuilt it, but good to know there's options out there instead of VW's answer of £1000+ VAT. If not obsolete!

I think this is a condition of not engaging the ABS frequently enough or possibly not changing the fluid often enough, which is ironic given it's a safety system. Imagine if air bags didn't deploy through lack of use :lol: Anyway, I think the valves must get sticky.

Did you bleed the system in accordance with VAG's guidelines and did you bleed the 2 nippes on the ABS pump itself?

I reckon you are probably right with the lack of usage point Kev. Car hasn't been used since July last year but the fluid is fresh following a mk4 caliper upgrade and subsequent re-bleeds in recent weeks.

I followed one of the guides on here to do the last bleeding session which included the master and 2x ABS nipples.

They claim that they can turn them round in a matter of 3-4 days. Don't be fobbed off with "We tested it and found nothing wrong". Get it re-built, then you have their lifetime warranty for the sake of another £75 or so over and above the test fee.

The valve block certainly doesn't like old brake fluid with the moisture that gets absorbed into it so change it every couple of years. I think the system goes through a test sequence; when you start up and get up to about 10mph there is a definite pulsing (audible and felt through the bodywork) so hopefully this would keep all the valves free. Obviously standing around unused for lengthy periods is not good to the system.

Best wishes

RB

Anyone got a link to the VW bleeding sequence please? Really want to change my fluid soon and not sure where the ABS bleed nipples are either which I also want to do. A sticky somewhere might be a good idea for it??

Anyone got a link to the VW bleeding sequence please? Really want to change my fluid soon and not sure where the ABS bleed nipples are either which I also want to do. A sticky somewhere might be a good idea for it??

I too would like to know this.

I know VW recommend vacuum bleeding.

But usually you bleed from the furthest away from the M/C then get closer. So rear offside, rear nearside, front offside, front nearside, ABS (x2) then master cylinder. Is that correct?

(for those thinking I have my offside and nearside mixed up; I don't, I've taken into account the brake pipe routing)