daveb142

Dave's 1994 1.8 20vt

Picked up yet more bolts today. That should be pretty much every bolt for the subframe, brakes and wishbones replaced.

Finished uni early so went up and dropped the subframe off the Corrado. It's literally caked in oil :(

Think will get a steam cleaner on it to try and get most of it off!

null_zps57bac61a.jpg

null_zps7fd7f72a.jpg

null_zps8df8f8e8.jpg

The wiring's a bit everywhere atm, so gonna start sorting that out in the next coming weeks!

null_zps267d5dab.jpg

I also removed the gearbox back off the 20vt today and ordered a SAI blanking plate, so that should be here in a few days! Still need to get a downpipe and ECU...and after a set of 280mm/g60 brakes!

oh cmon!! teasers are unfair :p

I'll throw together an update at the end of this week :)

any updates what rad and intercooler you going to use

I'm still in two minds about the radiator. I might use the standard 2L 16v rad, as apparently this is enough to cool the 20vt! However I might get the VR6 rad, need to find out where i'm going to place the boost pipes first though.

For the intercooler i've bought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310204072463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Should do the job nicely!

Ahhh ur on here as well dave . Hullo there

Haha yep! Hello :d

I have a 1.8 16v rad and it runs fine, even on the hot days we had this summer

But, I would suggest the g60 rad as the inlet is on the other end which I think will be easier to plumb in

intercoolers a good price ive been looking at a kit for £126 on ebay i dont no a lot about them tho

Upto you mate, most of them should do the job, i've gone for one with 2.5" outlets too.

But, I would suggest the g60 rad as the inlet is on the other end which I think will be easier to plumb in

Thanks mate, will have a look into it. The 20v still has the original hoses on it which actually go over to where the rad inlets are, but I might upgrade them so shall see. Cheers!

Do it :) they've come down massively in price lately. There's actually a guy down here selling a full AGU setup for £250 lol

any pics of engine bay,my 1.8 16v rad is not that old i was going to use that if poss.what hoses and fan did you use

I used the hose from a mk4 golf on my 16v rad,

I also used the standard fan and housing, but I did space the fan forward so it cleared everything

i used a 1.3 rad in one of my mk2 20vt projects- running 237bhp & never overheated once, even from a day on the drag strip! so you should be fine lad

So I've been pretty slack with updating this thread, and with Uni and all I didn't do much in September! However end of october I moved units into a larger one with a couple of friends and have started to crack on with the Corrado (finally).

As I had binned the wishbones and trackrod ends etc, I had to use a crate with trolley wheels on to move it to the new unit! Fortunately it was only around the corner, however we lost a wheel in the process :lol:

BAEA58C6-8EFA-4350-9C2F-76927BF55B98_zpsiev4mnw7.jpg

So we moved into a slightly bigger unit with a 4 poster ramp and compressor which is handy. Also we now have a work bench/station which makes life much easier than before!

617FC44B-8233-4212-9BD6-AC6E43C3A14C_zpsox0djq5b.jpg

C510136B-763B-4F55-BB58-DC1CE73FB1D8_zpso5gdhvl2.jpg

Removed some other bits and bobs before dropping the subframe again, ready to give everything a clean up

56D06D4F-DE80-446F-AAF8-007C5BE4F1F5_zpsgrfbrsra.jpg

State of the subframe:

DB53C3C2-D9B9-4AF7-A0F6-DAB824DA72F9_zpsdoubmprz.jpg

And after scraping off one side of crap.....

79A8983E-F5F9-424A-8967-530EB8C1BC78_zpsgqj8tt9i.jpg

1009B6FC-68CC-4BB9-B0A8-BB0BB5131457_zps8uwzdmal.jpg

Used a grinder with a wire wheel attachment to get rid of all of the rust that I could, then got around to painting it with hammerite today

2AF09552-DD0D-4B2A-ACC0-B58F40FA36FF_zpstimffrse.jpg

6F1E5BC9-5557-46E5-B3CB-C4656B7D1C72_zpsamzwfge1.jpg

01372D08-7021-4BC5-9FB0-D22A066B0D31_zpsms7ybb9i.jpg

9E3FD810-9844-4AC1-A6E2-6177B8255048_zpskow2i71y.jpg

I also did the same to the front mount bracket.

Anyway I got around to removing both wings and bonnet and started to wire brush down the wheel arches

C31FFFD5-47EB-4CD8-AAD8-E61821E066C9_zpsrhsltqiw.jpg

F5EB537B-122E-46A9-AD73-33AF4B990D66_zpswdsyjuvh.jpg

5BCC13FD-DB3C-4789-9891-35621D51137F_zpslr40bo4e.jpg

Got the engine on the stand, need to strip the rest down, fit some new parts and paint the block.

EA260D08-4E60-4663-B610-C3AC3D8DA8D5_zpsp213hohl.jpg

Since the last pictures of the bay I have removed everything apart from the rear two brake lines. I've started using solvents to brake down the rest of the crap in the bay, most of one side is done just need to do the other side now. Then I can get around to removing the rest of the seam sealer, deleting some things and filling up some holes in the bay :)

Making a start on the wiring next week. Need the windscreen taking out so I can sort the rusty windsreen panel too, though if it's too bad will get it cut out and replaced!

I'm thinking on upgrading to the mk4 shifter mechanism too whilst it's all out, apparently it's a much better feel! Still need to buy a downpipe, clutch and ECU for the conversion! Among other things.....

Anyway, some progress made, hopefully will update much sooner than last time!

Definetly do the 02j shifter change mate, so much nicer. I'd advise getting a short shift too, did this on my last 20vt mk2 and makes for a very nice notchy gear selector! Good progress, have fun wth the wiring.... It's joyous ;)

Thanks Pat, Yeah definitely doing so. Just trying to source the shifter tower from the gearbox! I have thought about doing a short shift too....will have to see. Haha I'm digging through diagrams as we speak. Pretty much got all of the Corrado wires labelled and those cut off that I don't need, just need to sort the mk4 loom out now.

Picked up some parts the other day. Got new wishbones, track rod ends, steering boots, ball joints etc. Have stripped and painted the anti-roll bar, subframe and in the process of doing the steering rack. Should have some new pictures early next week :)

So Uni has pretty much taken over these past coupe of months, so not much has been done.:(

Since the last update, I have stripped the rest off of the engine, painted the block, painted some engine parts, replaced seals and put most of it back together. I've also removed a snapped exhaust stud, replaced it, cleaned the surface up before putting a new exhaust gasket on and the manifold and turbo back on.

I've ordered a new clutch and downpipe this week and have been slowly picking up more and more parts as the weeks have gone on. The subframe is all back together now with new engine mounts, wishbones, anti-roll bar bushes, steering rack bushes, track rod ends and ball joints. I've bolted this back on (using all new bolts which I got last year) and chucked the engine to trial fit mounting the intercooler and look at where i'm going to be mounting things, to see if any brackets need to be made up etc.

I've got my uni exams in two weeks, but after that I can really crack on with this! Once i've decided what's going where and what I don't need, my mate who does bodywork is making a start on the engine bay for me whilst I do the exams!

Looking forward to getting this finished, can't wait to start cracking on with it.

45A6BD8D-E02A-4EE3-A96A-CFAC4797CA58_zpsng6soyyn.jpg

0818439B-4913-486D-95BE-F95220718273_zps7t7u9hjw.jpg

My mate also decided to spray my oil filter pink in my absense :lol:

95882CEF-F650-487B-953C-FD22113D7493_zpsziqwgqc3.jpg

47B3B3EE-D097-4E06-89C6-82AFA9D55A90_zpsennq6i2b.jpg

Hopefully aim to have it running by the end of June!

Good work Dave, and good luck for your exams! Should be ready for the Cornwall Totally VAG show in September then! :thumbleft:

Cheers man! Well the aim is to have it's first show at Edition38, so should be at Cornwall Totally VAG show yes :D

However I do need some wheels as I scrapped those horrendous 17"s it came on haha.

Just realised I've owned this for a year this month..... Can't wait to get a move on with the conversion :lol: Few more bits are now on order too :D

Just a brief update!

Got my sump back from the guys (Chris and Darren) over at Mr B's Bandies! It's been reinforced with a 4mm steel plate, looks fantastic and amazing work done by them! I've included a link to their facebook page if anyone needs something made up (they do a range of work there, so drop them a PM if you need something done to a high standard! Based in Plymouth). Here's some pictures

80798F54-552E-4EB4-A145-7CFE83529E88_zpsc7o2jv23.jpg

080C26DA-E67E-4BD6-842E-1F21E33075EF_zpsjljus6ts.jpg

I also bought a downpipe from "turbo revs". I wasn't sure whether or not to get this, I was originally going to go with a trackslag one, suggested by Mr Rich! However for £86.50 delivered I ended up going with this one after hearing quite a number of good reviews from people.

F5416C9B-9F76-46FD-8343-16EE6554037A_zpsg3edfk5w.jpg

However only problem was that it was sat on the Corrado's Bulkhead..... Fortunately another message to Chris and Darren at Mr B's Bandies and they have sorted that right out!

52F79B18-9DF6-47D6-B566-028F1B722D95_zpstu4iagnd.jpg

This have given me much more clearance, so thanks again guys!

I've also had my ECU decoded / immo defeated by Shaun at Devon Decoding! He's just starting to do this now, charges £80 IIRC for IMMO Defeat and is also based in Plymouth. Recommend giving him a shout if needed, he also does Radio decoding etc, so worth dropping him a message with any needs!

Anyway, like mentioned in my last update, i'll do a proper update sometime next week.

I've almost got all of the parts needed now and the Corrado is ready to be sat back on all fours ( for the time being)!

Looking forward to making some more progress now exams are done! :thumbup:

Playing about today:

090F4582-CFEB-45E9-94C1-9E9B1B518D3C_zpsvj4pmygj.jpg

C75C4F56-7AE2-45CF-BFF3-C674615BC868_zpstbrfxkya.jpg

Needs a bit more lowering, hopefully once the rear is off axel stands it should sit a bit better!

Proper update soon

Cheers dude!

Took the engine back out last week. I've now decided to do the engine bay next year when I take the Corrado back off the road to have it fully resprayed! This means I can start putting things back in and getting it ready.

180730AF-9A21-4E88-8D2A-2E2F667B0F59_zpsvdfywybw.jpg

I've fitted the sump, thermostat, seal and housing, flywheel, new vr6 clutch, gearbox, intake pipe and most of the ancillaries to the engine now. All I need to do is swap the rocker cover over and fit a new gasket, put on the new inlet manifold gasket and bam manifold, then fill it up with oil and that's the engine done!

96CBB032-76BB-4622-8863-19205FB9B005_zpsihn1stxa.jpg

0D09EC81-220C-43F2-AE0E-23FAC1DBD054_zpsgxkeio6g.jpg

I decided to use the Corrado's 2.0l 16v gearbox for the time being. I was going to use the diesel box that I got from Spuey, but decided against it for now.

I've also upgraded to the mk4 shifter setup. This was mainly due to the fact that the Corrado gear shifter was a bit broken and felt a bit ****.... Anyway, I had a go at mocking up the mk4's shifter tower in the Corrado's tunnel, but to get it to fit properly i'd have to do a bit of cutting and drilling, which I didn't really want to do as I wanted to keep it original and have a nice fit....

Therefore, I ended up buying a 6n polo diesel shifter housing, baseplate and selector arm.

3C21D720-5F1A-4380-9CBE-A60281DB87E2_zpsqvpx9stb.jpg

Was surprisingly simple to fit...I took apart the mk4 shifter, cleaned all the crap out from the ball and mech and regreased everything ready to go into the 6n polo diesel housing.

19C686A4-60A4-4C10-AD97-E03F21334D8E_zpshxayhpej.jpg

5B44CCFD-BADB-4A3F-8F7C-AC2531A1943B_zpszh6qyzps.jpg

The selector arm is slightly different between the two setups

0E0C9141-0B8A-4F7D-AEE3-D20AA902F1FB_zpshk9wohtf.jpg

Finished product

CC17047D-7AAB-48EA-8F79-385F6D9ACC5C_zpsn17dmgpg.jpg

414CA824-8E22-4CCB-A0B7-616156A3E561_zpsuyxot5ve.jpg

DBC02445-18DF-464B-9455-16E14C90EE3F_zpsubsrngwu.jpg

It fits exactly as the corrado shifter does and bolts straight up, so i'm happy with that.

I've got all the wires labelled for the engine loom and ready to be soldered together, however i'm just planning out where i'm routing a few bits so I haven't got around to joining them yet. That will hopefully be done by the end of the week though! I also took the rear disc shields off and gave them a clean up and a coat of paint.

B80A2514-3ED0-4166-9E14-CDAFAC1A1125_zpsgcpjein9.jpg

They aren't great but I'm not gonna take the rear axel off until next time the Corrado's off the road, so will re-do most of the rear end and bushes then, I'll also then buy brand new protectors.

Whilst taking the stub axels off, I binned two little protectors that you have to take off before taking the stub axel bolts out....they were pretty perished...however apparently they are needed and now you can't buy any new from vw, so unsure what i'm doing with that atm!

They're these if anyone is wondering / can shed light on whether they are absolutely neccessary? ( 191 501 639 B)

corradoreardisc_zps8f06071c.jpg

I've replaced all of the stub axel bolts too as they were so rusty they rounded pretty instantly. Luckily managed to hammer a 14" 6 point socket on to them to get them out.

I'm going to finish off some little bits in the bay and re-install most of the components before putting the engine back in, but that should be done by the end of the week. I also hope to get the wiring sorted this week and order in the boost pipes.

Will update later this week!