Sign in to follow this  
Dilated

Police video'ing when leaving inters

I think it was just as we were entering Melton, there were some coppers stood on the pedestrian crossing with a handycam filming all the cars.

Speed limit was 40mph, but I came around the corner doing about 47-48 i think (we were trying to get some moving shots of those tidy old skool mark 1's)

Just a bit worried here, as the cops filmed me and turned round as my passenger (photographer) took his belt off and started to hang out the window to take a snap, JUST as we went past them...

Can they prosecute on speeding with a video camera? Logic tells me no, as there are too many variables with the video camera not being ina fixed position. But still, it worries me.

Also, those bastard speed cameras on the way back up the A1 - the yellow, gatso-like ones that face towards you. I take it those are infra-red?

They can't prosecute based on a camcorder, no.

And the "truvelo" cameras aren't infra red, no, there's a couple of sensor lines under the road, that's how it measures the speed. Then it uses an infra-red film to take (two) pictures of the car, like a normal gatso, but with no flash.

They might have been checking tax discs as I know they use video cameras for that.

Unfortunately Melton/Woodbridge is the most heavily policed area in Suffolk due to all the retired Police generals living there and other assorted rich and influential toffee-nosed feckers.

Doesn't it just drive you mad, trying to trap people coming out of a car show. I swear, the police in this country...

Though to be fair, after reading on Club GTI about some morons nearly causing a huge pileup on the M25, its no wonder really.

My mate got pulled on the way in.....for "illegal" number plates and window tints.

Nothing better to do.....

He got let off though, used the excuse that he had to have the small plate on the front as when he puts the full size one on it obscures the oil cooler and it overheats, which is true. and the guy didn't have access to a light meter so he let him go.

As fot Truvelo's, they do flash, one in front of me got a mondeo doing about 85.

Going by the large number of people that attended this year with attitude problems, a pile up doesn't surprise me.

Yeah - I also heard that Inters has now fallen into the hands of chavs/neds/pikeys, etc - of course it would still have been worth going to meet guys off the forums, but it just doesn't sound like the show that it used to be! :(

If you're talking about the speed cameras at the beginning of the A1 they are Gatso's pointing towards the inbound traffic. The lines after them are just to scare everyone outbound. If there are more Cameras further North I do not know about them.

Does anyone know how far apart the truvelo cameras are usually placed? I've only ever been through single cameras (they are supposed to work in pairs) - not sure how that can trigger an average speed reading??? I have read the blurb at http://www.speedcamerasuk.com

(might be worth checking for the cameras you think you went through there too.)

Bolst

Just re-read the truvelo stuff - they are not used in pairs. they use the 3 lines on the road AND there are other strips that activate to give an average speed - anyone one know hopw far apart these strips are ? ie how far away from the camera?

Yeah - I also heard that Inters has now fallen into the hands of chavs/neds/pikeys, etc - of course it would still have been worth going to meet guys off the forums, but it just doesn't sound like the show that it used to be! :(

Got to admit, quite a few less than approachable people around I thought. Nice to be referred to as a 'there's a pig filming us, i'm over there with the camera...'

Christ, all I was doing was recording the Sprint....lovely people!

Not a bad show over all I suppose, but then first Inters I've been to. Disappointed about a few things though....

- Unabe to park with other C's group, and agreed to buy a 'late' bonnet for £35, but in the end didn't go for it coz wasn't sure could fit it in back of car, and Staff wouldn't let me take car down to seller to try it :roll:

How about a Corrado Inters.....?

Well I believe thats what the CCGB have tried to achieve (with some success I might add) at their National Days.

Last years was really good - nice venue, well organised, great turn out (over 200 cars IIRC), some traders & dent removal guy, and a show and shine contest & trophy. And the bonus was it was free to all CCGB members.

They are planning to do more this year, and if one could be combined with a 1/4 mile event as has also been discussed, it'd be dynamite IMHO :)

Yep, Pigs everywhere and camera's all over the place but then again the organisers promoted this! there is usually a camera along that melton road but I can't beleive they didn't filter the traffic out thru Ufford onto the A12 instead of over that crappy 3 way roundabout into melton! - It would have saved everyone sitting in traffic for an hour to get out!!

Suffolk traffic police are c*nts but Kev is right about the amount of idiots this year, as I was going out there was a Audi behind (MUD on the end of the registration) and the tw*t beeped his horn all the way out thru the villages and for some reason kept pulling out and sitting on the other side of the road whilst waiting in traffic very nearly causing an accident with an oncoming vehicle, complete idiot! - that kind of behavior is going to get complaints from locals and get the show banned from yet another good venue! :mad:

I also think they should ban people with burbery caps from VW events, the amount i saw! - I even saw some 10 year old wearing one!! - he'll be in jail by the time he's 18 (hopefully :-P )

The best thing i saw on saturday morning was 3 pikeys getting caught by guys on a breakers stand for pick-pocketing and then being locked in the back of there van! - they then called the event 'security' that were pretty useless by all acounts at getting them out so they got locket back in until the police arrived (the problem then being they were probably let out to come back again for the sunday as the police round here seem more interested at catching people doing 32mph thru melton :|

Hmmm it's always tricky these events. How do you seperate the wheat from the chaff whilst remaining politically correct about it? Unfortunately a lot of high performance VWs of yesteryear are now financially within reach of lot of young and irresponsible people. Shame :roll:

Unfortunately a lot of high performance VWs of yesteryear are now financially within reach of lot of young and irresponsible people. Shame :roll:

.. such as your good self, Hooligan Hayward? ;)

i know what you guys mean. ive been going to gti international since 97 and its definately changed. still a good show but not how it used to be. it used to have so much character but i think the festival at santa pods starting to take it over a bit now

Well I was thinking of people younger than 31 actually

Younger than 55 don't you mean?

I heard some twonk nearly got a VR6 stuck in the mud on the campsite :)

Having seen a nice silver corrado get pulled by cops just after we had come out of the Camp site I thought I'h head a different way home. I took some of the back roads - B1078 or something like that to the A14. Nice and twisty. Would have been good on a bike or in a corrado with decent suspension (unlike mine at the mo)

Well I believe thats what the CCGB have tried to achieve (with some success I might add) at their National Days.

Last years was really good - nice venue, well organised, great turn out (over 200 cars IIRC), some traders & dent removal guy, and a show and shine contest & trophy. And the bonus was it was free to all CCGB members.

They are planning to do more this year, and if one could be combined with a 1/4 mile event as has also been discussed, it'd be dynamite IMHO :)

True, went to Woburn and that was fantastic (big thanks to all CCGB who organised this!), and certainly didn't have the 'drug dealers on parole day out' feel that bits of Inters had....now, must get my lapsed CCGB membership sorted out, meant to do it at Inters but was too busy spending on other bits......

I was there on the Saturday and it wasn't a bad day out (would have enjoyed it more if I'd had the C with me) but as already said above there were too many ******* ****** **** **** *******! I was under-taken on the way down by a black Golf VR (which got him no where) and after i flashed him I got the finger - if I ever meet him I'll cut it off!

Really nice to see so many C's and the CCGB stand looked 8) There seemed to be a shortage of stuff available for the C on the trade stands but then again there's a shortage of C parts in general :roll: The sprinting was good to watch - does anyopne know what happened to the driver of the red Audi that blew up at the end of the strip? Thought I saw an ambulance go down there lights flashing just after? Anyways a good day overall finished with a tasty curry in Ipswitch on the way home :D

Saw Andi and Chris Corrado go past in the on coming traffic on the way out of the show (you wouldn't have spotted me as I was in the company limo LOL) Also nice to meet Campaign and Jims Corrado (I think thats what you said?) just as CCGB were packing up. Also nice to catch up with Alex and Guy... Just wish I'd found the forum parking area... nevermind, will hopefully be with you lot next year providied the C is running by then - I live in hope :lol:

Wife and I were not very impressed with the whole day really...............much preferred Gti Festival and Woburn that we went to last year..................

:( yeah have to admit that i was not to impressed went on the sunday weather was sh*t, i think sat was the better day by the sounds of it. Been going to inter's for the last 5 years this was the worse one :roll: Never been to gti festival where and when is it on :?:

11 July: GTI Festival, Santa Pod Raceway.

I'll be there again, and this year I'll remember my licence :oops: and will be sprinting J-DUB! 8)