Jon_vr6

The future of the internal combustion engine

really interesting, imagine the tuning potential... and the number of wrecked engines due to valve/ piston interference!

whose going to fab one up for a group buy?

Very impressive! Didn't know anything about it, and mentioned at the end about the air compressor sounds really good too! Electric cars a ton of L/ion batteries my eye!

that's really interesting, I can see the huge potential given that it frees the engine from the smooth profile of a camshaft, it's like going from analogue to digital :) mind you, the rotary engine was going to revolutionise the IC engine and that never really worked out.

it might just be in time to save SAAB..... oops!...damn-it!

Interesting, I wonder if that will prevent electric engines taking over, or at least put it back a while

Mentioned this to my mechanic.. apparently the Fiat 500 twin air uses this technology.

Yeah, does sound similar, taken from autoexpress article:

It uses electro-hydraulic control of the inlet valves, rather than a conventional camshaft, to manage the amount of air entering the engine. This allows more precise management of combustion, reducing fuel consumption.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/500/17912/fiat-500-twinair#ixzz2XG53RAk1

This idea has been around for ages. Im pretty sure Lotus were working on this 10+ years ago. Thats what tends to happen, someone comes up with a concept that is not applicalblr at the time due to tech but as thing progress its becomes viable. Good luck to him, he seems like an ideas man.

I'm fairly sure this this kind of technology has been running in F1 cars for a while. 18-20k rpm usually results in valve float in anything heavier than a bike engine. The difference being they use hydraulics and not air due to compression issues. It's one of the reasons a F1 engine can add and dump revs so easily!

Mentioned this to my mechanic.. apparently the Fiat 500 twin air uses this technology.

The twin air uses a hydraulic system to alter the intake valves but still defined by cam lobes, not an infinitely variable setup like they're showing in that video.

Twin air -

The twin air uses a hydraulic system to alter the intake valves but still defined by cam lobes, not an infinitely variable setup like they're showing in that video.

Twin air -

Yeah thought I still saw a cam in a video I saw on a breakdown of the engine

Koenigsegg have been working on cam-less valve actuation for a while now too. They've been trialling it a Saab on a 4 pot motor with good results so far. The solenoids are bloody noisy though, so maybe that will improve over time too.

Renault also showcased their full electric motor in the late 90s too, which had cam-less valve solenoids, no pulleys at all (electric pumps) and an alternator / starter motor built into the flywheel. It was also the first engine to use a twin scroll turbo.

If they added Saab's old Variable compression ratio technology to these continuously variable valves, a 1.6 n'asp engine could make well over 300hp and be super frugal.

Koenigsegg have been working on cam-less valve actuation for a while now too. They've been trialling it a Saab on a 4 pot motor with good results so far. The solenoids are bloody noisy though, so maybe that will improve over time too.

That's what that video is about!

Youtube is blocked at work. I just gathered from the conversation it might have been along those lines!

Another clever thing with the K'egg system is pumping recovery. A big tank buried in the car somewhere storing the air pressure from over-running the engine, which can then be blasted back into the motor under acceleration. Very neat!