Jim Bowen

Starting to think about moving on

Its better to regret you have something you can't afford and sell it that regret you decided never had it as you might not afford it or like it.

Was in your boots for a long time. I have 6 Corrado's in 11 years and moved one and I do not regret it.

I know that one day when I will have a big house with big garage I will buy one again... when.. who knows

I still regret selling my first one 10 years ago, I had to break the second due to the bodged accident damage I found

My current seems to spend more time in bits than on the road and needs a full re-spray at some point but I know if I were to sell I'd miss a Corrado in my life again

The only car I regret selling more than my first G60 was my 3dr cossie

Rather than a clio (which did not impress me at all when I drove a cup 172) have you thought of Polo GTI, same sort of size but probably a lot more reliable and has better tuning prospects.

My experience with a clio 172 was that it didnt have a good seating postion for someone 6ft +, also it was quite tempremental on the electrics and engine management side. It was really quick but very tinny.

Im getting a company car soon so have contemplated selling the 2 daily cars we have now and the Corrado and put some money towards a Porsche 997 but I'm sure I'd regret selling the Corrad, I enjoy working on it as well as the driving and there is no way you can work on a 997!!!

If/when I do sell the Corrado then I will miss the community as much as the car. Other forums and clubs just don't seem as friendly and inclusive.

I have to admit I wouldnt run one if it was my only car but then thats just because it wouldnt suit my needs. You get very capable cars for next to nothing these days. There will always be bills and things go wrong, thats just cars. You will regret selling/breaking it, thats enevitable.

If you dont want those hassles get a new car on HP and swap every 3 years but you will lose money doing that. The only thing is peice of mind and factory warranty.

I was very close to selling up recently, and I still sometimes have thoughts to. Someone on another thread made a good point though - If you're still looking back at your Corrado when you park it up to admire it, then you will definitely regret it!

Forced Induction is the answer ;)

If I were in the market for a similarly priced/age car though (after selling the VR) I'd probably take a punt on a Celica GT4 (Once you get over the stupid looking spoiler;) )

Nick, not that I am advocating you selling your car..but if you ever do decide to get out of it then can I have first dibs on the wheels?!..actually just the whole car mate!..

If you sell it, then in the future you'll regret it.

I regret selling some of the cars I've had in the past. Most have now attained true classic status and worth a small fortune. Much more than I ever spent, or would have had to spend to bring them up to standard.

So I'll be keeping my VR6 in original standard condition as I have no intention of making the previous mistakes again!

My experience with a clio 172 was that it didnt have a good seating postion for someone 6ft +, also it was quite tempremental on the electrics and engine management side. It was really quick but very tinny.

Im getting a company car soon so have contemplated selling the 2 daily cars we have now and the Corrado and put some money towards a Porsche 997 but I'm sure I'd regret selling the Corrad, I enjoy working on it as well as the driving and there is no way you can work on a 997!!!

968 Clubsport/Sport would be my Porker choice this side of a 993 I think

If/when I do sell the Corrado then I will miss the community as much as the car. Other forums and clubs just don't seem as friendly and inclusive.

Sold mine, doesnt mean i cant be on here anymore :) Sure there's a few on here in this situation.

we're still welcome................. right? :-/

This is a tricky subject, and I guess on here you could guess what everyone was going to say (or nearly everyone!)

My own 2p worth. I came back because I couldn't find something I felt was special and I'd rather have for the money. The fact the community is great, although the forum is a lot slower than it used to be, is purely a bonus. Anything else mainstream you buy won't be that special (IMHO) unless you're prepared to spend a lot more. You can get a lot of car for your money if you're prepared to up your budget to say £10-£12k, but even then any modern car will be ten to the dozen on the roads..... and if you go for something classic you'll have the same issues with repair costs.

For me I'd struggle to say 'Ok, I'll buy a S3 for £12k because it'll save me the £600 a year tinkering costs' when that car is going to cost me £7k more that a mint VR.

I think my head would be swayed by a 911 (even though they're not special) or a Lotus Exige, or a 1957 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.... but I'm not going to get one of those for sub £5k am I?

Its better to regret you have something you can't afford and sell it that regret you decided never had it as you might not afford it or like it.

completely agree... it may be a cliche but I think the 'better to have loved and lost' phrase is spot on

I bought my Corrado before I knew anything about the forum and I have to admit I thought the VW 'scene' (not keen on that word - makes me think 'tax'!) was pretty much just Beetles and Campers. A colleague from a fair few years ago (and now long time absent forum member) saw my Corrado in the work car park, tracked me down at my desk and told me about the forum. What a massive bonus!

If you dont want those hassles get a new car on HP and swap every 3 years but you will lose money doing that. The only thing is peice of mind and factory warranty.

I'd feel I was selling my soul if I did that and only had one car! Ideal for those who don't care about what they drive though and as you say, want hassle-free motoring.

968 Clubsport/Sport would be my Porker choice this side of a 993 I think

964 or 993 for me... or if we're being ridiculous, then a Carrera GT please!

I guess there's many reasons for wanting a change. Part of it, as much as anything, is.. life is too short. There are lots of cars out there, and I'd like to be able to drive as many as possible to form my own opinions on them all. That and given I've owned 4 Corrado's for a combined total of about 8 or 9 years, I sort of feel like I've "done" the Corrado thing. Despite being hugely enthusiastic for them, I don't consider them the 'best car in the world'.. and I also feel like the friends I've made through the club are now such good friends that owning a Corrado is no longer relevant to staying friends with them. I'll still see them no matter what car I own!

Had the corrado coming up for 8yrs now. Driven about 80,000miles in it. Replaced most things on it.

I have enjoyed working on it and glad I started learning mechanics at the deep end. But it's getting me thinking its never going to end and I'd only truly be happy building one from a bare shell.

Although I took it to more of an extreme, that is almost a carbon copy of my Corrado story.

Not sure what would replace it. Suitable for all year round. Something I can work on. Similar performance to corrado. Don't need spare seats or doors or any luggage space. Suitable for bad condition b roads. Corrado manages but doesn't like it. Really got no clue what I like.

MK4 R32

And you know how far I took my Corrado, so I don't suggest that lightly :D

I can recommend the S 2000 and the 350z ... In another life I had both not at the same time obviously but both cars drive fantastically .. Had a Evo 8 and a Integra Type R the later arguably for me one of the best balanced drives I've ever had ... See know you have me thinking about the golden years 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jim do what you have to do buddy.

Regards Bones 💀

Interesting thread. I'm hoping to come back into VR6 ownership after many years away. (I was looking for a storm earlier in the year, but didn't quite find what I wanted.) I've considered lots of alternatives in the £3 - 5k arena, such as Porsche 944, Audi TT 225, Boxster 2.5, BMW Z3, Impreza, Mazda RX8, Alfa GTV V6...

Nothing has ticked every box - below a 911 (which I can no longer afford) I find that everything is a compromise. So when I find a VR6 that I'm finally happy enough with (!) I think it'll be the best compromise for me.