ray_vr6

Golf 4 Handbrake Fitted

OK – fitted the golf 4 handbrake. As in previous post it is not a straight fit but a little “adjustment” to the mounting points has it fit over the original mounts and also straightened out the offset.

The inside tunnel cover requires quite a bit of modifying to allow the golf part to fit but I did not have to cut the outer cover.

The only other thing you need to do is to wire in the brake light switch – couple of mini female terminals to the new unit and that’s it.

Ok here we go with some pics of the installation.

There is a third mounting point on the Golf handbrake which you could utilise if you welded a bolt to the floor pan. I may do this later.

I cut away most of the two pieces of plastic that will prevent the inside tunnel cover from going over the handbrake. I also cut away some of the top opening to ease the operation of the lever.

You may notice two self tapping screws that I had installed before in order to solve the "loose tunnel rattle" that Corrado's are notorious for! This I think aides the installation.

Hope this all makes sense!

Thanks Ray really appreciate you taking the time to do this. It looks great :)

This looks like it could be a good move.

With handbrake handles an plastic covers becoming harder to find.

The mk4 item doesn't look out of place and are relatively cheap to get hold of.

nice pictures, did you just slot the holes to make it fit?

No - I was slightly less subtle than that! - Just took a few taps with a hammer to allow the holes to fit to the bolts. I also slightly bent the lower bracket (same method) to allow the lever to sit more centrally

No - I was slightly less subtle than that! - Just took a few taps with a hammer to allow the holes to fit to the bolts. I also slightly bent the lower bracket (same method) to allow the lever to sit more centrally

How long did it take you from start to finish

As I was having to alter things and change things as I went along - it probably took me about 2 hours but if you follow my (not so very detailed) instructions - I would say an hour should do it.

Good work.

I thought I might as well post this as well as it's in some way related.

I went the opposite way and fitted the MK4 one to the MK4 center console. Bit more work involved though because of the dash conversion. lol

As far as the clearance to the bracket goes with the cable ends (mk4 cables seem to be closer to the lever). Check out my solution with the tubes. I used the Corrado bar but that's because mine was offset away to the left.

F432C170-EABC-49D1-8EF0-A70D44BC6011-1754-00000111715F4698.jpg

0D0A7F50-1F38-4549-BEB5-622FE1E30979-1754-0000011160E74209.jpg

58E7D994-9300-4AE8-BB4C-4D616B609A8F-850-0000006764975B0C.jpg

68F7622A-5133-4F65-87F4-F0FA8159BF5B-850-00000321096B6104.jpg

7011A340-D03C-4E57-BDB2-C66B36589A3A-1754-0000011176515E3D.jpg

Just a wee update to this - I feel the action of the lever is much better. ie it always felt you have to pull the handbrake really high to get it to fully bite (even after new cables fitted) but now it is so much more positive. Would be interesting to know if anyone else has found the same.

Did you use the mk4 handbrake switch? If so did the connector from the original loom fit?

Just finished this but the upper cover drags on the handbrake. How much and where did you remove plastic from there?

Just finished this but the upper cover drags on the handbrake. How much and where did you remove plastic from there?

I still have this problem with mine, currently running it without the upper cover...have been for months :lol:

Ok so i'm not the only one!

Might make some leather boot to cover the exposed portion and blend it in to the handbrake

Just another thing the rhs brake cable fouls against the mounting bracket. What have you guys done to get around this? I originally put some copper tube over the bolt but this pushes the out cover out too far. It also means that the handbrake doesnt pull evenly on the cables.